Epson 3880

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions
ianmoodya
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Epson 3880
Mar 18, 2013

Ok, we've had it.

Does anyone know how to force an Epson 3880 to NEVER SWITCH INKS?

We only have matte paper, only print on matte paper, only ever want to print on matte paper.

Photo black does not exist in our dojo.

Yet at least once a week for a year or so the printer has forgotten some setting someplace and tried to do a gloss print - which then entails an ink swap, followed by some swearing and another ink swap to get back to matte black.

This has happened so many times that the thing has no run out of photo ink, and wont print anything until we install a new photo ink cartridge which we will never use.  Grrrr

Does anyone have any ideas?

ps. "Check your print settings before each print" isn't a valid answer - 99% of the time we do - yet a year or so of missing it 1% of the time has used up a whole ink cartridge and wasted hours of time swapping.  We're now stuck waiting a day without printing for the expensive next day delivery of an ink cartridge we'll never use.

We're not afraid of getting physical with the printer to stop this.

Here are some options that would be nice if they worked:

a) firmware setting that locked it to one link

b) warning on printer dialog that "this will entail an ink change" so we can catch it sooner.

c) inserting some kind of special "empty" photo cartridge

I've only had one actual idea that might work:

d) Delete ALL paper types from the printer setup other than the matte papers -

Does anyone know if that might work?

ps. This is under OS X Mountain Lion / Photoshop CS6

Would even pay for a Photoshop plugin etc that did the job.

Thanks.

Rant over.

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,308
Like?
Re: Epson 3880
In reply to ianmoodya, Mar 18, 2013

ianmoodya wrote:

I haven't found a way yet.

We only have matte paper, only print on matte paper, only ever want to print on matte paper.

Yet at least once a week for a year or so the printer has forgotten some setting someplace and tried to do a gloss print - which then entails an ink swap, followed by some swearing and another ink swap to get back to matte black.

This has happened so many times that the thing has no run out of photo ink, and wont print anything until we install a new photo ink cartridge which we will never use. Grrrr

ps. "Check your print settings before each print" isn't a valid answer - 99% of the time we do - yet a year or so of missing it 1% of the time has used up a whole ink cartridge and wasted hours of time swapping. We're now stuck waiting a day without printing for the expensive next day delivery of an ink cartridge we'll never use.

You could get cheap third party ink for that one cartridge.

Some RIPs may be able to do this, but most RIPSs cost more than the ink you would waste.

b) warning on printer dialog that "this will entail an ink change" so we can catch it sooner.

I wish. The larger format Epsons do this. They ask if you actually want to do a swap allow you to abort the print before any ink waste. Strangely, the wide format printers don't have the nice ink usage logging that the 3880 has.

Or cheap third party cartridge.

If it does, then let us know. I am sure that many would like a solution like this.

You should at least be able to set the default to matte paper, this is certainnly possible under Windows. The normal default is photo, so if you change a few settings and forget to go through it all again, you can easily end up with the wrong black.

In Windows it is simply a matter of right clicking on the printer icon, choosing Preferences, then setting the default paper to any of the matte papers. There has to be a similar thing on Mac.

Another thing that you could do, would be to set up all your papers as custom settings, so that you never have to go into the regular media choices. Not foolproof, but lowers the chances. You can also move things around in the menus via the utility tab in the printer preferences dialog (it may be elsewhere on a Mac). Note you can also delete whole groups of menu items here too, eg all the photo papers.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PeterAM
Contributing MemberPosts: 600
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Mar 18, 2013

I've had a 3800 for some years, running with a Windows PC. As someone else said, if you change the default to matte paper (I did this, but can't remember how) it will stop switching inks until you change paper types.

Philnw2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241Gear list
Like?

I'm not sure if the cartridge electronics identify themselves to a particular ink or not.  I switched my R3000 to Cone inks and Cone ink catridges at Inkjetmall.com and never looked back.  Great colors and excellent performance.

In this situation, you could buy a Photoblack ink replacement catridge from Inkjetmall and fill it full of matte back ink.  So no matter what switching the 3880 did of black inks, you'd always have matte black ink.

-- hide signature --

Phil B
Nex 5n, Pentax K5D

Epson R3000

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Pentax K-3
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,711Gear list
Like?

The 3880 default is pk ink.  Change it to mk ink on the 3880 LCD control panel.  It's explained in the users guide, page 101.  You'll have to reset it if you have a power failure.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,316
Like?

ianmoodya wrote:

Ok, we've had it.

This has happened so many times that the thing has no run out of photo ink, and wont print anything until we install a new photo ink cartridge which we will never use. Grrrr

ps. "Check your print settings before each print" isn't a valid answer - 99% of the time we do - yet a year or so of missing it 1% of the time has used up a whole ink cartridge and wasted hours of time swapping. We're now stuck waiting a day without printing for the expensive next day delivery of an ink cartridge we'll never use.

Would even pay for a Photoshop plugin etc that did the job.

Thanks.

Rant over.

You need to change the default ink from PK to MK.

irvweiner
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 20, 2013

Is there any reason that the original poster, ianmoodya, does not mention mention requesting this info from Epson????  As a 3880 owner he is entitled to request assistance from the Professional Customer Service group, phone# in manual. This should be the first go-to place.

I dont know how sticky the MK default action is, what happens if you accidentally select a glossy, luster or semi-gloss media Will there be an immediate switch or hopefully a warning message???

Without incurring additional costs and maintaining the use of Epson ink I would suggest swapping the chip from the PK cart to a 2nd MK cart and inserting the 2nd MK cart in place of the PK cart. Now if a MK-PK switch gets triggered you will have MK in the printhead and the feed lines, permitting you to continue as if nothing happened. except for the loss of a few ml of ink. BUT you will have no immediate need to switch the inks again. Your unwanted ink loss will be cut in half. I will be examining the benefits, if any, of the default mode.

good luck  irv weiner

AusPic
Regular MemberPosts: 302
Like?
In reply to irvweiner, Mar 20, 2013

Is there any reason that the original poster, ianmoodya, does not mention mention requesting this info from Epson???? As a 3880 owner he is entitled to request assistance from the Professional Customer Service group, phone# in manual. This should be the first go-to place.

I dont know how sticky the MK default action is, what happens if you accidentally select a glossy, luster or semi-gloss media Will there be an immediate switch or hopefully a warning message???

Without incurring additional costs and maintaining the use of Epson ink I would suggest swapping the chip from the PK cart to a 2nd MK cart and inserting the 2nd MK cart in place of the PK cart. Now if a MK-PK switch gets triggered you will have MK in the printhead and the feed lines, permitting you to continue as if nothing happened. except for the loss of a few ml of ink. BUT you will have no immediate need to switch the inks again. Your unwanted ink loss will be cut in half. I will be examining the benefits, if any, of the default mode.

good luck irv weiner

Irv,

I for one think the idea of using TWO MK's is brilliantly obvious - you are a GENIUS! (well I think you are anyway)

-- hide signature --

Andrew G

Rkelac
Regular MemberPosts: 466Gear list
Like?
In reply to AusPic, Mar 20, 2013

Is there any reason that the original poster, ianmoodya, does not mention mention requesting this info from Epson???? As a 3880 owner he is entitled to request assistance from the Professional Customer Service group, phone# in manual. This should be the first go-to place.

good luck irv weiner

Irv,

I for one think the idea of using TWO MK's is brilliantly obvious - you are a GENIUS! (well I think you are anyway)

-- hide signature --

Andrew G

But does the printer lay down the ink differently for the MK cartridge compared to the PK cartridge?

Rkelac's gear list:Rkelac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
irvweiner
Like?
In reply to Rkelac, Mar 20, 2013

Rkelac, you bring up a good point. Right now, I don't know, I will assume that there is a difference. However, I would create a printer profile for each case. This could minimize the difference between the 2 modes. In addition, it may be necessary to increase the ink 'laydown' for the PK mode to keep the Dmax value.

I vaguely recall that I was able to select mk or pk ink when using certain media (glssy,satin,luster) and it ran. But whenever I chose matte or 'arty' by error the switchover always occurred. Must review, I'm quite certain the media choice not the icm print profile triggers this action. TBD

now even more curious  irv weiner

Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to Rkelac, Mar 20, 2013

But does the printer lay down the ink differently for the MK cartridge compared to the PK cartridge?

It is certainly possible. For sure, when switching blacks, it takes more than twice as much photo black to flush the matte black, then the other way around. SO the ink do have some fundamentally different properties.

Brian A

AusPic
Regular MemberPosts: 302
Like?
In reply to Rkelac, Mar 21, 2013

good luck irv weiner

Irv,

-- hide signature --

Andrew G

My experience with this printer is that primary switch trigger is the paper selection - if true then as a minimum one , in theory makes the saving that Brian suggests, I am also thinking that it needs a RIP to effectively use multiple blacks...

SO I ask the question, can we purchase the $50 RIP available via Cone and use that to tell the re badged PK to behave like MK or even taking a step further into "what if" have the rip tell the other colours to behave as matte paper when selecting a PK centric paper in the 'ol 3880 menu

I suppose its silly but then ........I don't know the answer SOMEONE will tho.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Andrew G

irvweiner
Like?
In reply to AusPic, Mar 21, 2013

Brian, I think the difference in path length for pk and mk ink is responsible. The goal is to flush out the old and push in the new. A new printer profile may be sufficient, until this approach is evaluated we're printing in the dark.

Now for those who are game, I suggest they ask Epson!! After all we are still using their 'genuwine' OEM ink in 'genuwine' Epson carts--why should there be an objection?

For what we can actually test right now; has anyone verified the validity of the proposed default mode? If this functions AOK than we are finished--no 'foolin' around required!   I'm sorry I did not do so yet.

Auspic, Yes the media (paper, canvas, ...) is the switcheroo--make sure you select matte as the media if creating a new print profile.

"I suppose its silly but then ........I don't know the answer SOMEONE will tho."  WHO?????

Has anyone noticed that the original poster, ianmoodya, ranting  about his situation has not yet responded to any the postings placed here for his aid?

irv weiner

Hugowolf
Like?
In reply to irvweiner, Mar 21, 2013

irvweiner wrote:

Brian, I think the difference in path length for pk and mk ink is responsible. The goal is to flush out the old and push in the new. A new printer profile may be sufficient, until this approach is evaluated we're printing in the dark.

The line length sould not make any difference. I think it is just due to the nature of the matte black ink.

Now for those who are game, I suggest they ask Epson!! After all we are still using their 'genuwine' OEM ink in 'genuwine' Epson carts--why should there be an objection?

If they were going to update the driver, they would have done it by now. Anyhow, I think Epson US has very little, if any, influence on Epson Japan.

For what we can actually test right now; has anyone verified the validity of the proposed default mode? If this functions AOK than we are finished--no 'foolin' around required! I'm sorry I did not do so yet.

Changing the default media in the printer preferences certainly works, but it is only a partial solution. If you are only running one printer, then it may be all you need. But with two or more printers there is more chance of sending a print to a machine with the wrong black.

All that is needed is a driver that warns you of the switch and asks if you want to proceed with the switch. The larger format Epson printers do this, there is no reason why the 3880 can't.

(And the same goes for the ink use log provided by the 3880 Printer Watcher utility. It provides very useful data - why can't the larger format Epson printers get the log?)

Has anyone noticed that the original poster, ianmoodya, ranting about his situation has not yet responded to any the postings placed here for his aid?

Unfortunately, fly posting has become more prevalent on these forums of recent.

Brian A

ianmoodya
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
In reply to irvweiner, Mar 26, 2013

"Has anyone noticed that the original poster, ianmoodya, ranting about his situation has not yet responded to any the postings placed here for his aid?"

My bad.

Each and every one of your responses has been greatly appreciated - I've just had several unusually busy weeks of family stuff that has soaked up every waking minute.  Let's see... new car insurance, sorting out MOT, organising family holiday to France in two days, visit to the doctors, five different sets of children's clubs for each child.......

Yadda yadda excuses excuses

I don't have time right now (see, more excuses), but when I'm back from France I'll post a follow up with the steps we've taken to help mitigate things and whether they helped.  (I know for a fact that it slipped back to photo ink once tonight, in the middle of a run of almost identical prints.)

Thanks again,

(if we survive four nights at Disneyland Paris, that is)

Ursula Freer
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
In reply to irvweiner, Apr 23, 2013

Well I just asked Epson, an "advanced" techie. He said there is no way to changed the black ink except for when you specify paper types, at least in the Mac which I called about. I forgot to ask about Windows.

Ursula
http://ursulafreer.com

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,711Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ursula Freer, Apr 23, 2013

Ursula Freer wrote:

Well I just asked Epson, an "advanced" techie. He said there is no way to changed the black ink except for when you specify paper types, at least in the Mac which I called about. I forgot to ask about Windows.

Ursula

You can change the black inks directly on the 3880's control panel under Menu.  Page 101 in the user's  guide.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Ursula Freer
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, Apr 26, 2013

Sal Baker wrote:

Ursula Freer wrote:

Ursula

You can change the black inks directly on the 3880's control panel under Menu.  Page 101 in the user's  guide.

Sal

Unfortunately my printer changes to Photo Black (which I don't use) and when I change it back it dumps that ink. I never have a problem with printing with matte black, but the ink changes on its own when I am not printing usually when I get a "print skew" message. It does not make sense, no wonder Epson techies don't believe me. So I don't get any help even though it's still on warranty.

Ursula

Ursula Freer
Like?
In reply to Ursula Freer, Apr 26, 2013

Ursula Freer wrote:

Ursula

Correction, they said there is no way to "permanently" change to one black or the other. I am almost out of the Photo Black even though I never printed with it.

-- hide signature --
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,316
Like?
In reply to Ursula Freer, Apr 26, 2013

Ursula Freer wrote:

Ursula Freer wrote:

Ursula

Correction, they said there is no way to "permanently" change to one black or the other. I am almost out of the Photo Black even though I never printed with it.

-- hide signature --

On a PC you can permanently set it to a specific Black ink type. I have two 3800s and one is set of Matte and the other is set for Photo black.

As long as I continue to send jobs with the correct papers to the corresponding prints the Blacks will never change.

Even if you print from a MAC you should also be able to set Matte black as you ALWAYS default black.

Joe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads