Nikon D7100 LCD Monitor Cover

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Questions
John Groothoff
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Nikon D7100 LCD Monitor Cover
Mar 18, 2013

Does anyone know whether the Nikon D7100 comes with an LCD Monitor cover like the BM-11 with the D7000? Adorama says yes but most Googling has not answered my question and neither willl Nikon itself!!!

Thanks

John Groothoff's gear list:John Groothoff's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 340
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Liiz
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Re: Nikon D7100 LCD Monitor Cover
In reply to John Groothoff, Mar 18, 2013

I have a Nikon D7100 and it doesn't come with a monitor cover.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,945Gear list
Like?

I had the same question. When I looked at the box contents on B&H, an LCD cover wasn't listed as it was on the D7000. Also, it looks like Nikon designed out this nice accessory as the ledges molded into the body for the cover to latch onto don't look like they're there anymore. Too bad they are so short sighted. I like the ones I've had on different models and haven't lost any.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,945Gear list
Like?
In reply to Liiz, Mar 18, 2013

Guess it's time to resort to film covers again. How much is Nikon saving on this change?

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Bailey151
Contributing MemberPosts: 967
Like?
In reply to Vandyu, Mar 18, 2013

Vandyu wrote:

Guess it's time to resort to film covers again. How much is Nikon saving on this change?

Saving? Who's to say that's the issue..............if the lcd is some form of Gorilla Glass then a protector is "teats on a boar hog". But then I'm sure there's folks who put them on a GG phone - PT Barnum would love 'em.

sergeym1990
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to Bailey151, Mar 18, 2013

Gorilla glass is a good thing, but it is no panacea. I have scratched my Gorilla Glass 2 phone, despite never dropping it - probably some sand particle found a way to my pocket and that was enough.

woodsfortysix
Regular MemberPosts: 372Gear list
Like?
In reply to Vandyu, Mar 18, 2013

I contacted Nikon Customer Support about the screen protector for the D7100 - this is the response that I got....not very helpful....

Thank you for contacting Nikon Customer Support, I'll be happy to assist you.
Unfortunately the D7100 does not have a compatible screen protector for the camera.

woodsfortysix's gear list:woodsfortysix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Fujifilm X20 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D4s +14 more
sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,180Gear list
Like?
Nikon does not use them on cameras with tempered glass
In reply to woodsfortysix, Mar 18, 2013

Not neccesary, if you want, buy a phone screen protector, I wouldnt on a hardened screen, those plastic protectors are optically worthless, a pain to keep on, and after a few weeks, plain ugly.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Bailey151
Contributing MemberPosts: 967
Like?
Re: Nikon does not use them on cameras with tempered glass
In reply to sandy b, Mar 18, 2013

sandy b wrote:

Not neccesary, if you want, buy a phone screen protector, I wouldnt on a hardened screen, those plastic protectors are optically worthless, a pain to keep on, and after a few weeks, plain ugly.

Pretty much sums it up, we all have our own comfort levels. Maybe Nikon thought scratch resistant was enough?

BradM73
Regular MemberPosts: 215
Like?

Not only does it not include a cover, it doesn't even have the clip slots in the body like the D7000 or even the old D70's an D90's, etc.  So it looks like it won't even be compatible with any clip-on covers.

Maybe there will be a 3rd party company who will make a Gorilla Glass film that will stick onto the current LCD screen.  That might be the best aftermarket solution.  Or maybe Nikon themselves use Gorilla Glass?  Who knows?

lynkx
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to John Groothoff, Mar 28, 2013

Mine just arrived (from Adorama) with no cover, and the owner's manual does not list one among accessories "available at press time." The monitor does have a phone-cover-style film on it, but this overhangs the buttons, and on the left especially I find that a little irritating. I will probably trim it with scissors at some point, investigate phone cover sizes, and hope for 3rd-party attention in the longer run.

Frank Williamson
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?

The Larmor D800 cover fits perfectly on the D7100 according to several threads here on DPReview.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51153393

Jim Kaye
Senior MemberPosts: 2,542
Like?
In reply to Frank Williamson, Mar 28, 2013

It's actually the first Nikon DSLR I've seen that not only doesn't come with a plastic LCD cover but also doesn't seem to have any indents that would allow a 3rd party manufacturer to make one that snaps on. Nikon seem to have shifted in their thinking about the need for such covers.

-- hide signature --

Jim Kaye
'I believe that the electronic image will be the next major advance. Such systems will have their own inherent and inescapable structural characteristics, and the artist and functional practitioner will again strive to comprehend and control them.' -- Ansel Adams, 1981

sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,180Gear list
Like?
Thats a shipping film
In reply to lynkx, Mar 28, 2013

Probably won't last long

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
liv2paddle
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?

It doesn't come with a cover. I had a cover from my samsung galaxy 10.1 which I never put on becasue it doesn't need it..so I cut it to size of D7100 screen and put it on . Now I have protection and probably have at least enough for five more replacements..a pretty cheap alternative. Its nice and flat ..and works great. Invisable shield by Zagg.

liv2paddle's gear list:liv2paddle's gear list
Nikon D7000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads