Has anyone that shoots sports compared D7100 to D300s?

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions
Alan Brown
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,680Gear list
Like?
Huh?
In reply to gary stepic, Mar 18, 2013

gary stepic wrote:

Thanks, I have heard many sports shooters were not real pleased with D7000 focus so not surprised D7100 is a big improvement. I have been happy with D300S so from most accounts I think I will be happier with D7100. I don't think I will be losing anything in frame rate since I have not been using the battery grip, which means I have been getting 7 frames a second with D300S. I know I have not been getting even that frame rate, maybe because of shooting raw and maybe Sandisk Extreme III not fast enough card (would the card actually make much of a difference?).

the memory card is not  a factor preventing 7 fps. it only a factor in recovery after the buffer fills. (this is the same with any camera)

It's obviously possible with the D300s, I know, I have had one. There are other things that slow the fps... shutter speed comes to mind... you can't get 7 fps with a 1/30th sec shutter speed despite setting the fps dial to Hi.

let us know 'how' you are/were, trying to get that speed .. what shutterspeed etc

I like the idea of having a lighter camera when hiking and traveling. I will get the battery grip and this will give me a beefier camera when shooting sports and events. I think there will be a D400 in the future but it is looking like the D7100 will be a capable and practical camera for my purposes.

Gary

-- hide signature --

There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.' :'!':

Alan Brown's gear list:Alan Brown's gear list
Nikon 1 J2 Nikon D600 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,252Gear list
Like?
Re: Has anyone that shoots sports compared D7100 to D300s?
In reply to Elixir, Mar 18, 2013

Elixir wrote:

Kerry Pierce wrote:

It would be very cool if you could provide some high ISO, low light samples from both cameras.

I wish I thought of making some sample shots before I sold my D300s, but I didn't. Not to worry, there will be plenty of people who will be making this comparison soon.

All I know is from my eyes and what I remember I got from the D300s, and the D7100 is giving me at least ISO 800 performance when I set the ISO two stops higher than that, and even better when you resize the D7100 image down to the D300 size.

You may want to watch Scott Kelby's Youtube report where he was equally impressed with the low noise at higher ISOs at this price-point.

Enough of a difference for me that I think I'll be sticking with it instead of dropping another $400 to $500 to go to the D600.

Okay, I was hoping that you still had the d300, but that's life.

I just saw Kelby's video.  It's obvious that he likes the d7100, but the comparison photos from the d4 vs d7100 tell a lot.  In the end, I don't doubt his conclusion, that the d7100 is the best DX camera yet.  That's very cool.  From what I've seen so far, it's quite an impressive camera.  It sounds like it is exactly what I had hoped my d7k would be.

I checked with lensrentals.com and they have the d7100 available for a 5 day rental at $93.  I have to ponder that a while, but I might rent one and see how it really stacks up against my d300 and d7000, to satisfy my curiosity.  But, that might be bad news for my budget, making me want to buy the new camera.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
gary stepic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,283Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kerry Pierce, Mar 18, 2013

That is my concern as well. In theory I should wait to at least August but I know me and I probably will buy the camera way before then. I do want to get more opinions from other photographers and I will watch the Kelby video, but so far I am optomistic I will like the camera. The biggest complaint I have seen concerning specs is the smaller buffer. But in practice I don't think that will be a huge problem because it is not very often I keep my finger on the trigger, and if I do waiting longer for the photos to write to a card will not prevent me from missing the next play or possesion. It could be a bit of a problem for soccer, boxing, or other sports where there is no break in the action. But for those sports I typically never keep my finger on the shutter anyway. The few times I do keep my finger on the trigger is when someone is coming at me for a break away dunk, for example.

Gary

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6000 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Kerry Pierce
Like?

gary stepic wrote:

That is my concern as well. In theory I should wait to at least August but I know me and I probably will buy the camera way before then. I do want to get more opinions from other photographers and I will watch the Kelby video, but so far I am optomistic I will like the camera. The biggest complaint I have seen concerning specs is the smaller buffer. But in practice I don't think that will be a huge problem because it is not very often I keep my finger on the trigger, and if I do waiting longer for the photos to write to a card will not prevent me from missing the next play or possesion. It could be a bit of a problem for soccer, boxing, or other sports where there is no break in the action. But for those sports I typically never keep my finger on the shutter anyway. The few times I do keep my finger on the trigger is when someone is coming at me for a break away dunk, for example.

The Kelby video is interesting, but it looks more like a Nikon infomercial, than a good review to me. I'd still like to see some good comparison shots between the d300, d7k and/or d7100. I would expect to have to use the fastest memory cards available, but would also still expect to run into buffer problems at times.  Jim Pearce will have a d7100 soon. He's a bird shooter that will have some good info on a lot of this stuff soon after.  He won't sugar-coat his findings, IMO. So, I'd suggest waiting for a week or so for his posts on it.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

Elixir
Contributing MemberPosts: 679
Like?

Kerry Pierce wrote:

I checked with lensrentals.com and they have the d7100 available for a 5 day rental at $93. I have to ponder that a while, but I might rent one and see how it really stacks up against my d300 and d7000, to satisfy my curiosity. But, that might be bad news for my budget, making me want to buy the new camera.

I know a way to make your D7100 upgrate $93 cheaper.  Just take our word for it.  

Elixir
Contributing MemberPosts: 679
Like?

Kerry Pierce wrote:

The Kelby video is interesting, but it looks more like a Nikon infomercial, than a good review to me. I'd still like to see some good comparison shots between the d300, d7k and/or d7100. I would expect to have to use the fastest memory cards available, but would also still expect to run into buffer problems at times. Jim Pearce will have a d7100 soon. He's a bird shooter that will have some good info on a lot of this stuff soon after. He won't sugar-coat his findings, IMO. So, I'd suggest waiting for a week or so for his posts on it.

I felt the same way about the Kelby video... it did seem to be a little over-the-top.  Either that, or he was really impressed.  Impossible to tell which since he was apparently getting special treatment from Nikon with an early release of the lens and possibly the camera.

gary stepic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,283Gear list
Like?

Kerry,

Since I am still paying off my Best Buy bill for the D800 it will make it easier to hold off a bit. Only 5 more payments! I like using their 18 month interest free promotion, it makes it easier for me to be impatient.

Gary

gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6000 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Kerry Pierce
Like?
In reply to Elixir, Mar 18, 2013

Elixir wrote:

Kerry Pierce wrote:

I checked with lensrentals.com and they have the d7100 available for a 5 day rental at $93. I have to ponder that a while, but I might rent one and see how it really stacks up against my d300 and d7000, to satisfy my curiosity. But, that might be bad news for my budget, making me want to buy the new camera.

I know a way to make your D7100 upgrate $93 cheaper. Just take our word for it.

I don't want to insult you, but no thanks.  People are vastly different in the way they use their cameras and perceive the results. I often push my cameras to their limits, when shooting sports/action in low light. I think that it's possible that the d7100 might be a stop better than the d300 for noise/DR, but I'd like to know.  I spent $1200 on a d7k that didn't do what some folks said it would do.  I don't want to do that again.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

Kerry Pierce
Like?

gary stepic wrote:

Kerry,

Since I am still paying off my Best Buy bill for the D800 it will make it easier to hold off a bit. Only 5 more payments! I like using their 18 month interest free promotion, it makes it easier for me to be impatient.

I wasn't aware of that promotion, Gary.  I understand and agree with your logic.  I'll have to look into that.  Thanks!

Kerry

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads