5dmk3 vs 7d + strobes...

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions
Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,457Gear list
Like?
5dmk3 vs 7d + strobes...
Mar 18, 2013

I asked this in the 7D forum and got only 2 responses...so I figured I'd give it a go here.

Looking for an opinion here. I have a friend selling his very gently used 5Dmk3, now with some tax return cash I could afford it if I sell my 7D and Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS. Sadly he has no kit zoom, so that would leave me with these lenses to use with the 5Dmk3.

Sigma 50 f1.4

Canon 70-200 f4 L

Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L

I could eventually go for a 24-105 L, but for now I couldn't add the expense. I've data mined my photos and find that mostly I shoot portraits, but occasionally I shoot a little wildlife and sports. The 7D has been great, no question, but having used the 5Dmk3 it's just...better.

Another option is to spend the cash on some studio equipment, specifically an Einstein and PLM.

The 6D is not in the running, I don't want to take the AF step back, at times I need it.

Anyone have any thoughts??

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keith Z Leonard
Like?
Re: 5dmk3 vs 7d + strobes...
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Mar 18, 2013

Sad, no help...

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jrscls
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,871
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Mar 19, 2013

I hardly ever used the 7D after purchasing a 5D II (I shoot mainly portraits). I sold the 7D and now shoot with a 5D III. I don't think you will have any regrets and you have a few good full frame lenses so I would go for it.

LGR Photography
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
In reply to jrscls, Mar 19, 2013

We bought a 5D III a week ago and it blows the 7d away. Miss the zoom from the crop but all around a much better camera. ISO is amazing

-- hide signature --

Gary Rietmann
www.lgrphoto.com

LGR Photography's gear list:LGR Photography's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +6 more
KENTGA
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,552Gear list
Like?
In reply to LGR Photography, Mar 19, 2013

I've gone fron rebel XT crop to many crop bodies and now have 7D. I have 5D1 with 17-40 and 24-105 and got 6D but couldn't justify the extra $$ for 5D3. I like the 6D and love the 7D. I can't believe the poster that says the 7D is a throwaway compared to the 5D3, but I don't have a 5D3.

Anyway, you'll need a flash if you go with the 5D3 because it doesn't have a built in flash.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D +14 more
gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,091Gear list
Like?

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

I asked this in the 7D forum and got only 2 responses...so I figured I'd give it a go here.

Looking for an opinion here. I have a friend selling his very gently used 5Dmk3, now with some tax return cash I could afford it if I sell my 7D and Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS. Sadly he has no kit zoom, so that would leave me with these lenses to use with the 5Dmk3.

Sigma 50 f1.4

Canon 70-200 f4 L

Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L

I could eventually go for a 24-105 L, but for now I couldn't add the expense. I've data mined my photos and find that mostly I shoot portraits, but occasionally I shoot a little wildlife and sports. The 7D has been great, no question, but having used the 5Dmk3 it's just...better.

Another option is to spend the cash on some studio equipment, specifically an Einstein and PLM.

The 6D is not in the running, I don't want to take the AF step back, at times I need it.

Anyone have any thoughts??

I'm going to go against the grain here.  While a 5D3 will be a jump in image quality, it won't be a jump in creativity like studio lighting will.  Assuming you have no studio lights currently (you didn't specify), this could open up a whole new world for your photography.  Lights are fun and using them can take your photos to the next level.  I would go for the lights and acquire the skills to use it.

The Einstein is an awfully expensive (but very fine) system for getting your feet wet.  Might I suggest stepping down a notch to the excellent Alien Bees so you can afford two?

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Keith Z Leonard
Like?

Thanks for the responses thus far...you know you think you write a good post, but then it ends up missing important stuff.

I've been shooting with lights, mostly video hot lights and off camera flash (430 ex II w/ umbrella), there are a couple of examples below.  It would be a move to a much better light system, and yeah I know it's 1 big light, but the Einstein seems like a good do everything light for 1 light setups and maybe triggering the 430 for a hair/background light.  It's got the juice to handle outdoor harsh light situations and large groups while being able to be turned down enough for when doing shoots that only need a little extra light.  And I'd need a fairly portable system, so I was thinking of a 1 light setup with a rather large octabox or maybe a PLM.

The 7D is a great camera, very capable, and I didn't like the 5D2 in comparison, but other than price the 5D3 seems a win in almost every way....but price is an issue, of course.  I'm aware too that I would need a trigger system for my 430 if I go with the 5D3, as there is no pop-up flash commander (sad, really).

Thanks for the feedback, it's very helpful as this is proving a difficult decision.

Muresan Bogdan
Regular MemberPosts: 260
Like?

Get the 5dmark III, sell the 100-400, get an 85-100 or 135mm prime and the cheapest lights. You still have the 70-200 for some action shots and you also have a pretty good studio setup.

Good luck.

Aussie Rod
Senior MemberPosts: 1,030
Like?
In reply to Muresan Bogdan, Mar 19, 2013

I have a 7D and a 5D mk3.  The mk3 I bought mainly because the top wheel on my 40D was slipping when changing settings, that was my backup camera.

The 5D mk3 is a fantastic camera, the AF is a dream to use...I love it!...but if I were you I would start looking at the Einsteins if you want to get serious with your studio work.  I have 4 Einsteins now plus one AB 1600, I do a lot of studio and location work and the 7D has been a great camera.  I did have issues with focus, which has never been the best even now.

Start with one Einstein first, believe me it won't be long before you want 2, then 3 etc.  Trigger the Einstein with a Cactus 4 until you get the cash for the Cybersync gear.  That's what I did for nearly 2 years!

Get some lighting...get creative, then if you have some spare cash in the future if you aren't buying more lights get a mk3.  Nothing wrong with the 7D in the studio I can a sure you!

solidstate9
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aussie Rod, Mar 19, 2013

Aussie Rod wrote:

I have a 7D and a 5D mk3. The mk3 I bought mainly because the top wheel on my 40D was slipping when changing settings, that was my backup camera.

The 5D mk3 is a fantastic camera, the AF is a dream to use...I love it!...but if I were you I would start looking at the Einsteins if you want to get serious with your studio work. I have 4 Einsteins now plus one AB 1600, I do a lot of studio and location work and the 7D has been a great camera. I did have issues with focus, which has never been the best even now.

Start with one Einstein first, believe me it won't be long before you want 2, then 3 etc. Trigger the Einstein with a Cactus 4 until you get the cash for the Cybersync gear. That's what I did for nearly 2 years!

Get some lighting...get creative, then if you have some spare cash in the future if you aren't buying more lights get a mk3. Nothing wrong with the 7D in the studio I can a sure you!

The 7D from my experience needs more light to perform at it's best, compared to a 5Dc or a 5D mk3 for example, if you push for shadow recovery on a 7D there will be detail yes and more noise YES. using strobes takes away the shadow issues, I agree with the above post.

solidstate9's gear list:solidstate9's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
mjack101
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?

Difficult to give you advice as the two choices are quite different and I don't use strobes very much. What I can tell you is that I went from a 7d to a 5diii and the difference is really something. I haven't regretted it one bit.

The only thing I miss is the 8fps but really 6fps is ok for 90% of the time. Unlike others I have not missed the extra crop reach at all and I shoot a lot of sports. The AI servo AF (once you have figured out the custom settings) is pretty special.

I think for portraits you will like the 70-200 focal length on a FF.

Sorry I can't comment on the lighting.

shoful
Regular MemberPosts: 358Gear list
Like?
In reply to mjack101, Mar 19, 2013

Interesting forum. I work with a 7d and do studio work in addition to outside modeling shoots.

I see some of you have worked with both the 7d and 5d. I am afraid that I will miss the reach with the 7d.     I was thinking of keeping the camera (the price used is way down) and selling my 17-55 and 10-22 lenses only. I will, keep my Tamron 18-270 for travel plus other lenses. Will I miss the 7d that much or will the 5d3 make me forget about it totally.

John Vant Land
Contributing MemberPosts: 521Gear list
Like?
In reply to shoful, Mar 20, 2013

I went from the 60D (same sensor as the 7D) to the 5D MkIII and in bright light I couldn't tell much difference.  But since then inside, with the incredible useable higher ISOs, I get pictures I never dreamed of getting before.  The focus is right on.  That still doesn't help your dilemma of not having a walk around zoom that you can use inside.  If you got a REALLY good deal on the 5D, I'd go for it and save for a 24-105.  If is isn't such a great deal, I'd hold off, save a little, earn a little cash with your interest in portraits and eventually get a 5D MkIII.

In my opinion, the quality of the 5D makes up for the loss of reach of the 7D.

-- hide signature --

Enjoying God and His Creation.

John Vant Land's gear list:John Vant Land's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
shoful
Like?
In reply to John Vant Land, Mar 20, 2013

John, thanks for comment. I am only considereing the 5DIII. I know what the difference is. My interest in the 5dIII is only because of the great ISO. On the 7D anything over 400 is not to great. Ottherwise for studio work with strobes the 7D is excellent. I understand the focusing is also much better on the 5DIII. When traveling during daylight you can't beat the ease and reach of the 7D. For shots at dusk or night time without flash is where the 5DIII would be great.

Aussie Rod
Senior MemberPosts: 1,030
Like?
In reply to shoful, Mar 20, 2013

Interesting forum. I work with a 7d and do studio work in addition to outside modeling shoots.

I see some of you have worked with both the 7d and 5d. I am afraid that I will miss the reach with the 7d. I was thinking of keeping the camera (the price used is way down) and selling my 17-55 and 10-22 lenses only. I will, keep my Tamron 18-270 for travel plus other lenses. Will I miss the 7d that much or will the 5d3 make me forget about it totally.

I'm afraid the 7D will be left in the bag like mine...

Picturenaut
Regular MemberPosts: 328Gear list
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Mar 20, 2013

I shoot both with a 5D3 and a 7D as backup, but I do no studio photography, so I cannot comment on how important it may be for you to save cash for the latter. I only can say that the 5D3 is a huge leap from 7D both in terms of IQ and AF performance. To available light shooters (like me) it opens a completely new world. I do as well a lot of wildlife photography with long teles and originally thought to use the 7D as a crop camera much more. But the 5D3's stunning AF performance drives me to use mostly and forget about the lost crop factor.

So I'd highly recommend you to get this 5D3, I think you won't regret that. Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Picturenaut

Picturenaut's gear list:Picturenaut's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +12 more
shoful
Like?
In reply to Picturenaut, Mar 20, 2013

Kieth.... My dilema is I think you are right. It would be a shame for me to sell my 7d at a bargain price. I thinkm I will mkeep it and sell a couple of lenses. mI still have other lenses to use with it. Thank you all for  your input.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads