Need help from Mac people.

Started Mar 18, 2013 | Discussions
alvie
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?
Need help from Mac people.
Mar 18, 2013

I thinking of changing from Windows platform to Mac platform.  I have all my software like, Photoshop CS5, Topaz Labs, Nik Software, and photomatix for windows.  My question to anyone out there how can I change all of my software from windows to mac without having to buy them all over again?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,929
Like?
Re: Need help from Mac people.
In reply to alvie, Mar 18, 2013

alvie wrote:

I thinking of changing from Windows platform to Mac platform. I have all my software like, Photoshop CS5, Topaz Labs, Nik Software, and photomatix for windows. My question to anyone out there how can I change all of my software from windows to mac without having to buy them all over again? Any help is greatly appreciated.

For Photoshop, if you have the latest version (CS6), there's a way to "cross-grade" from Windows to Mac OS X (or vice versa) without buying it all over again.  I believe you must pay a fee ($30?), and destroy your copies of Photoshop for the previous platform.  Since you are coming from CS5, you'd probably have to pay for an upgrade to CS6 before, or during, the "cross-grade".

With respect to Photomatix, it appears that you already have the right to run the program either on Windows or on Mac OS X.  From the FAQ it sounds like you can install the program on all of the computers you use (regardless of OS), as long as there is no more than one user at a time.

FAQ about HDR photography software Photomatix

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alvie
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, Mar 18, 2013

Thanks for your help.  I hear from some beta users that CS7 will be out on or before November.  Should I upgrade before CS7 comes out?

Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,025Gear list
Like?

alvie wrote:

Thanks for your help. I hear from some beta users that CS7 will be out on or before November. Should I upgrade before CS7 comes out?

By all means. Adobe now limits upgrades to the previous version. So when CS7 comes out, if you have CS5 you would have to pay full price for it.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
jacquelyn
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Mar 18, 2013

You need to call Adobe for the upgrade, and deactivate your old version on the PC. If you have PS on two PC, you will have to deactivate both as you can't have one liscense with a MAC and one with a PC. The upgrade to CS5 is $199

All the other programs can be downloaded using your old liscense.   Have been doing the same , switching from one OS to the other.

seemount
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?

Hi dont know wether your from the USA or else were but you have several options, one is to have Parellels or Fusion placed on your Mac so you can use windows software, secondly visit an Apple store if possible and ask them re the best option, also if you email your nearest Apple store or phone Apple they will assist, finally when you purchase your machine if its from a store or you purchase on line and have it delivered to a store they will personally set your Mac up.

This would save all the costs spoken about earlier unless of course you want to be totally Mac and if so the Apple store will still set up your Mac for you.

Drogba88
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?

You can instal your Windows operating system straight on to an Intel Mac.   The Mac has a program called Boot Camp which will assist you in that process.  (I am assuming you have bought a new Intel Mac with the latest Mac OS installed).   Basically what happens is that the Boot Camp program will partition your hard drive, installing windows on one half and the Mac OS on the other half.   That way, you don't have to change anything; your Windows software will then work on the Mac.  Make sure your Mac has plenty of RAM.  Most Macs these days come with 8GB or 16GB RAM with at least a 500GB hard drive.   Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

Giraffe

Drogba88's gear list:Drogba88's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +8 more
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,669Gear list
Like?

Changing over should be fairly OK. I believe you can use the Migration assistant to move all your user files over.

Most of the other stuff should be cross-platform. I see some of the others have mentioned that Photoshop needs contact with Adobe, but I'm sure I saw somewhere that that later stuff was cross-platform licensed, so you could install on either a Mac or a PC using a single licence {of course only one at a time).

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
photoman157
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?
In reply to Andy Hewitt, Mar 19, 2013

Photoshop is NOT cross platform, unless you do the cloud version where you pay a monthly fee continuously, other words subscription based.

threeOh
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?
In reply to alvie, Mar 19, 2013

I'd go with the suggestions of running your current version of Windows on the Mac until you feel like spending the money on newer software versions. It will make your transition a lot easier and there's no downsides. I may be out of date here but Boot Camp requires a reboot, Parellels or Fusion does not.

RustierOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,647Gear list
Like?
In reply to alvie, Mar 19, 2013

alvie wrote:

I thinking of changing from Windows platform to Mac platform. I have all my software like, Photoshop CS5, Topaz Labs, Nik Software, and photomatix for windows. My question to anyone out there how can I change all of my software from windows to mac without having to buy them all over again? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Alvie,

I'm fairly new to the Mac experience, and in the process of switching over. One thing to keep in mind if you get a Retina model is which software you'll be running that has been optimized for that display. But I've been pleased with using Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro Retina using Parallels. Using an old Windows 2003 Office XP sometimes the text in Excel is a bit small. But otherwise it seems to work well. I'm trying to do most of my work with Mac programs in OS X. But for the programs I have that are Windows only, its nice to have the option. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Russ

RustierOne's gear list:RustierOne's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +3 more
Andy Hewitt
Like?
In reply to photoman157, Mar 19, 2013

photoman157 wrote:

Photoshop is NOT cross platform, unless you do the cloud version where you pay a monthly fee continuously, other words subscription based.

Fair enough. When did they change that then. I'm 100% certain that at least one version was boxed as a dual install with a licence that worked on either.

Looks like Adobe got mean again.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,929
Like?
In reply to Andy Hewitt, Mar 19, 2013

Andy Hewitt wrote:

photoman157 wrote:

Fair enough. When did they change that then. I'm 100% certain that at least one version was boxed as a dual install with a licence that worked on either.

I think it's been like that for at least several versions (CS4/5/6).  Maybe the dual install program you are thinking of is Lightroom, which Adobe sometimes refers to as "Photoshop Lightroom"?  That one has always let you use your two installs on PCs, Macs, or "one of each".

Photoshop Elements is also sold (sometimes) with Windows and Mac versions in the same box.

Andy Hewitt
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, Mar 19, 2013

Tom_N wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

photoman157 wrote:

I think it's been like that for at least several versions (CS4/5/6). Maybe the dual install program you are thinking of is Lightroom, which Adobe sometimes refers to as "Photoshop Lightroom"? That one has always let you use your two installs on PCs, Macs, or "one of each".

Photoshop Elements is also sold (sometimes) with Windows and Mac versions in the same box.

Could be that. It's also possibly different on UK licences. I know the box I have here says it's only valid in certain countries.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads