*** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 15,593
Like?
Re: lines
In reply to Sovern, Mar 18, 2013

Sovern wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Sovern wrote:

The differences that I'm seeing is that the 5D photos are more crisp and have less noise. The 60D photos actually look slightly blurry or hazy and have more noise compared to the 5D photos.

Looking at the lines under the "O" in dollar"...I can resolve and count the lines in the 60D pic and can't in the 5D pic. I think MAC is right one.

I never looked at the dollar photos, in the more real world landscape photos the 5Dc photo is much more crisp and the text is more clear while the 60D photo looks noise in comparison.

That might be the issue then.  The landscape pics don't really lend them selves well to comparing resolution.  In the currency photos...the 60Dphoto is much more crisp and the text is more clear while the 5Dc photo looks noise in comparison.  Still, I suspect the lens is p;art of the issue.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 15,593
Like?
Me too
In reply to qianp2k, Mar 18, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:


Focus method: AF on 5D (it doesn't have LV), MF (with 10x LV precisely)/AF on 60D. I make sure to turn off IS/OS on all lenses on tripod, MLR with 2-sec timer. Remote release (cable on 5D and wireless release on 60D).

Both pics seem soft or slightly out of focus. Does the lens perhaps need a bit of fine tuning?

No, they are not.

Perhaps not. I seem to be able to do no better



60D should have even slight theoretical advantage as I used MF (and also AF but MF is only very slightly better) while 50D only can AF (it's impractical to use MF without a Magnifying Viewfinder) on the mercy of no BF/FF issues.

Understood

Processed: All taken in RAW format and converted in Canon DPP with default setting, neutral preset. Only changes are adding a bit sharpness, +3 RAW in 5D files and +7 RAW in 60D files in DPP.

Why add sharpness? That would seem to negate any resolution comparison. As it stands, the 60D pic does seem to easily out resolve the 5D pic. Was the subject distance the same?

Otherwise even mushy, and 5D will have a bit advantage.

Put you sharpened the two differently. Do you think that would affect perceived resolution/sharpness?

I. Indoor under constant indoor light on a dollar bill.

In very close distance just outside min focus distance. It is a very small center area.

5D+24-70L II



60D+24-70L II



Can you make the full file after conversion and prior to sharpening available?

Please provide a link that I can upload RAW files. I don't have a site can hold RAW files.

Just upload the uncropped version pre-sharpening. No need for RAW...only the 60D, I'm curious only

Some of the EXIF is left out due to the crop I think. Appreciate the comparison. Thank you.

No, they are not. All photos have EXIF but only 24-105L is reported in EXIF while others are not.

Jeff's viewer seems unable to see all the EXIF regards distance and such reported by the lens...that may just be a Canon thing though.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,733Gear list
Like?
Re: lines
In reply to Sovern, Mar 18, 2013

Sovern wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Sovern wrote:

The differences that I'm seeing is that the 5D photos are more crisp and have less noise. The 60D photos actually look slightly blurry or hazy and have more noise compared to the 5D photos.

Looking at the lines under the "O" in dollar"...I can resolve and count the lines in the 60D pic and can't in the 5D pic. I think MAC is right one.

I never looked at the dollar photos, in the more real world landscape photos the 5Dc photo is much more crisp and the text is more clear while the 60D photo looks noise in comparison.

I can read the text in the 60D pic...less so on the 5D.  I think you are trying to convince yourself

 Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,276Gear list
Like?
Re: lines
In reply to Dave Luttmann, Mar 18, 2013

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Sovern wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Sovern wrote:

The differences that I'm seeing is that the 5D photos are more crisp and have less noise. The 60D photos actually look slightly blurry or hazy and have more noise compared to the 5D photos.

Looking at the lines under the "O" in dollar"...I can resolve and count the lines in the 60D pic and can't in the 5D pic. I think MAC is right one.

I never looked at the dollar photos, in the more real world landscape photos the 5Dc photo is much more crisp and the text is more clear while the 60D photo looks noise in comparison.

I can read the text in the 60D pic...less so on the 5D. I think you are trying to convince yourself

I'll sell him my 5dc + grip...

 MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Atoche
Contributing MemberPosts: 577Gear list
Like?
Re: *** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***
In reply to qianp2k, Mar 18, 2013

so the conclusions I can draw from reading all of this comparison and post:

1. resolution/detail is different thing than "sharpness"

2. the 60D seems to resolve more (seems to be easily measured with the dollar test)

3. the 5DC seems to be "sharper" (seems to be perception based, and "measured"/perceived better with the landscape photos)

so this means to me that each camera has it's strength (60D - resolution, 5DC sharpness) and comparing them would cause and endless circle of discussion...

or am I just waaaay off base here?  Just trying to learn what is what with these complex machines :).

I own the 5DC and the 7D - the 5DC rarely needs any sharpening at all, and light NR - where the 7D requires heavy sharpening and NR post.  I am assuming, of course, the 60D and 7D are "similar enough" to support this opinion.

-- hide signature --

"I may be a geek, but it pays for the car...!"

 Atoche's gear list:Atoche's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-3N +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,996Gear list
Like?
Here are ACR processed
In reply to qianp2k, Mar 18, 2013

I took 3 shots on the dollar bill and on the school building with each lens and selected the best one (they virtually identical as I shoot all on tripod, MLU with 2-sec timer, remote release).

Processed in ACR and I enlarged 5D photos to the same size 5184x3456 from 4368x2912 thru Bicubic process. This time I picked up Adobe Standard profile, and give absolute zero sharpening (moved all bars to the very left in sharpening tab) and all default setting except adjust to the same color temperature. I exported to JPEG at max (12) quality.

I. Indoor dollar bill.

Bear in mind that I shoot at just outside the min focus distance. 60D focus thru 10x LV precisely while 5D thru AF (that may subject a bit more focus inaccuracy). I cropped out to only dollar bill (to save space).

Only with 24-70L II this time



ACR 5D+24-70L enlarged



ACR 6D+24-70L

II. Outdoor schools building



ACR 5D+24-70L II enlarged



ACR 60D+24-70L II enlarged

Please don't jump on conclusion if results turn to your either way  I really tried my best effort and I did as fair as possible. I truly don't have agenda as I own both cameras. I wish less can do equally or even more like everyone else but still have to face reality

Here are my own impression.

60D in very close distance (sort of macro mode) on the dollar bill truly can leverage one of the best lenses, 24-70L II in very center area. It may edge out 5Dc in such scenario slightly but only very slightly.

5D photo in such close distance shows a bit moire in very tiny fine lines (that damaged a bit resolution) as DPR review said.

5D shows a bit advantage in outside from distance (or in real-world photo). It's noticeable sharper in edge/corners and has less noises even with 24-70L II.

With lesser lenses such as 24-105L and 70-200L/4.0 IS, 5D is almost the same if not slightly better even after enlargement in center on the dollar bill, and better on the school building. I will post results later as I am a bit tired today.

DXOMark may use average resolution/sharpness to give P-MPix number.  DXOMark only give you an idea in Measurements | Sharpness | FieldMap but they didn't publish details tested MTF on each F stop and in center/mid-range/edge and corners.

Thanks for your comments so far.



-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,996Gear list
Like?
Re: *** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***
In reply to Atoche, Mar 18, 2013

Atoche wrote:

so the conclusions I can draw from reading all of this comparison and post:

1. resolution/detail is different thing than "sharpness"

I guess related. Wondering why DxOMark changed to perceptual sharpness.

2. the 60D seems to resolve more (seems to be easily measured with the dollar test)

In such very close distance 60D with 24-70L seems edge out 5D in very center area. In outside real world photo from distance it seems not very clear. But 5D is obviously sharper and has a bit more details at edges to my eyes.

3. the 5DC seems to be "sharper" (seems to be perception based, and "measured"/perceived better with the landscape photos)

Larger pixel and weak AA filter (but also subject to moire such as can see on the dollar bill in close distance).

so this means to me that each camera has it's strength (60D - resolution, 5DC sharpness) and comparing them would cause and endless circle of discussion...

Oh, yeah. With better lenses 60D is very closed or even surpass (I don't have 300L/2.8 IS II that will show clearer).  However I found 60D photos have more purple fringes with all respective lenses as shown in MAC's sample.

or am I just waaaay off base here? Just trying to learn what is what with these complex machines :).

No. You said basically correctly above

I own the 5DC and the 7D - the 5DC rarely needs any sharpening at all, and light NR - where the 7D requires heavy sharpening and NR post. I am assuming, of course, the 60D and 7D are "similar enough" to support this opinion.

That's my experience also. I used to use 5D for landscape and portrait (now I use 5D3) and 60D in zoo, safari.. where needs 'reach'. They each has advantage.

-- hide signature --

"I may be a geek, but it pays for the car...!"

I just said on my initial impression but no conclusion. I believe DXOMark tested correctly. However they should tell how they calculate P-MPix number (average resolution/sharpness cross entire frame?), and publish detail tested MTF data cross frame at different F-stop on each sensor-lens resolution test as Photozone and Lensrentals did.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
arty H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,009
Like?
Re: *** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***
In reply to qianp2k, Mar 18, 2013

For a reasonable comparison, you need to use the same apertures on both cameras. For example, the 24-105L will be sharper on both cameras at F 5.6 than wide open. I understand the "logic" of stopping down the lenses on the 5D, but that makes for an unfair comparison. Even the center is helped by stopping a lens down, even if just a little.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 4,204Gear list
Like?
Re: Well done
In reply to MAC, Mar 18, 2013

MAC wrote:

have you owned and experienced the new rebel? No, just your old rebel.

This is perhaps the funniest thing I've read today, thanks for that.

 Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 4,204Gear list
Like?
Re: *** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***
In reply to qianp2k, Mar 18, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

Atoche wrote:

so the conclusions I can draw from reading all of this comparison and post:

1. resolution/detail is different thing than "sharpness"

I guess related. Wondering why DxOMark changed to perceptual sharpness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acutance is about perceived sharpness, low resolution is about missing detail.

2. the 60D seems to resolve more (seems to be easily measured with the dollar test)

In such very close distance 60D with 24-70L seems edge out 5D in very center area. In outside real world photo from distance it seems not very clear. But 5D is obviously sharper and has a bit more details at edges to my eyes.

3. the 5DC seems to be "sharper" (seems to be perception based, and "measured"/perceived better with the landscape photos)

Larger pixel and weak AA filter (but also subject to moire such as can see on the dollar bill in close distance).

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acutance which can happen when under-sampling gradients.

so this means to me that each camera has it's strength (60D - resolution, 5DC sharpness) and comparing them would cause and endless circle of discussion...

Oh, yeah. With better lenses 60D is very closed or even surpass (I don't have 300L/2.8 IS II that will show clearer). However I found 60D photos have more purple fringes with all respective lenses as shown in MAC's sample.

Yeah, more CA makes sense, as you increase resolution this is expected, I think.

I own the 5DC and the 7D - the 5DC rarely needs any sharpening at all, and light NR - where the 7D requires heavy sharpening and NR post. I am assuming, of course, the 60D and 7D are "similar enough" to support this opinion.

That's my experience also. I used to use 5D for landscape and portrait (now I use 5D3) and 60D in zoo, safari.. where needs 'reach'. They each has advantage.

Does the 7D "require" it because you are looking at a 100% view of both images where the 7D pixels are WAY more magnified than the 5D pixels?  Or at the image level is the 7D softer?  Interestingly at the image level it could even be the fault of the algorithm used to resize it to your screen.  Print is probably the best way to test this.  Or resizing one of the images to match the resolution of the other.

Interesting test.

 Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 5,012
Like?
Re: *** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***
In reply to qianp2k, Mar 18, 2013

In the previous test, the OP very wisely provided the raw files with full EXIF attached. This makes his results verifiable by others.

So, where are the raw files qianp2k?

Without them I afraid that your copious outspoken posts leaning in only one direction on this topic pretty much negates anything the images may or may not show.

For a start - those images are too small. I do believe it was you that kept calling for 5000 pixel wide images for a decent comparison.

We need to see the raw files for ourselves (with full EXIF) if you are going to convince anyone of anything here. Otherwise, I'm afraid that it's just more of the same from you - despite what these images seem to imply (which is totally opposite to what you have been claiming all this time).

BTW - where is the macro test? I still await a test from you that delivers exactly the same image detail to each sensor - the only sure way to tell which sensor can resolve more detail.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,276Gear list
Like?
Re: Well done
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Mar 18, 2013

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

MAC wrote:

have you owned and experienced the new rebel? No, just your old rebel.

This is perhaps the funniest thing I've read today, thanks for that.

I thought so too   Had a familiar ring to it 

 MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,276Gear list
Like?
Re: *** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***
In reply to schmegg, Mar 18, 2013

schmegg wrote:

In the previous test, the OP very wisely provided the raw files with full EXIF attached. This makes his results verifiable by others.

but, his results match the prior op's and they match mine

So, where are the raw files qianp2k?

Without them I afraid that your copious outspoken posts leaning in only one direction on this topic pretty much negates anything the images may or may not show.

For a start - those images are too small. I do believe it was you that kept calling for 5000 pixel wide images for a decent comparison.

you got to pixel peep to see any difference, which makes the exercise not relevant to real world shooting and deliverable s anyway

We need to see the raw files for ourselves (with full EXIF) if you are going to convince anyone of anything here. Otherwise, I'm afraid that it's just more of the same from you - despite what these images seem to imply (which is totally opposite to what you have been claiming all this time).

He's convince Dave, me, others.  You think he's switching EXIF's?  Conspiracy theory  -- between prior Op in Bulgaria, and two US posters?  LOL - Now that is Hilarious 

BTW - where is the macro test? I still await a test from you that delivers exactly the same image detail to each sensor - the only sure way to tell which sensor can resolve more detail.

Equivalency Estimations between formats requires the same distance and FOV.  You want same distance, but much narrower AOV for crop.  Not valid.  Just like DXO and TDP move the crop sensor backwards for same FOV -- which negates their equivalency determinations.

Photozone correctly says -- 11 times they say it on one page -- you can't compare their numbers across different formats

When I compare with those sites -- I stay in the same format

 MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,276Gear list
Like?
Re: Here are ACR processed
In reply to qianp2k, Mar 18, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

I took 3 shots on the dollar bill and on the school building with each lens and selected the best one (they virtually identical as I shoot all on tripod, MLU with 2-sec timer, remote release).

Processed in ACR and I enlarged 5D photos to the same size 5184x3456 from 4368x2912 thru Bicubic process. This time I picked up Adobe Standard profile, and give absolute zero sharpening (moved all bars to the very left in sharpening tab) and all default setting except adjust to the same color temperature. I exported to JPEG at max (12) quality.

I. Indoor dollar bill.

Bear in mind that I shoot at just outside the min focus distance. 60D focus thru 10x LV precisely while 5D thru AF (that may subject a bit more focus inaccuracy). I cropped out to only dollar bill (to save space).

Only with 24-70L II this time



ACR 5D+24-70L enlarged



ACR 6D+24-70L

II. Outdoor schools building



ACR 5D+24-70L II enlarged



ACR 60D+24-70L II enlarged

Please don't jump on conclusion if results turn to your either way I really tried my best effort and I did as fair as possible. I truly don't have agenda as I own both cameras. I wish less can do equally or even more like everyone else but still have to face reality

Here are my own impression.

60D in very close distance (sort of macro mode) on the dollar bill truly can leverage one of the best lenses, 24-70L II in very center area. It may edge out 5Dc in such scenario slightly but only very slightly.

5D photo in such close distance shows a bit moire in very tiny fine lines (that damaged a bit resolution) as DPR review said.

5D shows a bit advantage in outside from distance (or in real-world photo). It's noticeable sharper in edge/corners and has less noises even with 24-70L II.

With lesser lenses such as 24-105L and 70-200L/4.0 IS, 5D is almost the same if not slightly better even after enlargement in center on the dollar bill, and better on the school building. I will post results later as I am a bit tired today.

yes - 24-105 is a lesser lens - I wouldn't use it on crop.

But my 70-200 F2.8 L on T4i shows same results you got

so DXO Mark is a joke across formats

They rate 70-200 F2.8L an 8 MPix on 7d

and 70-200 F2.8L an 11 MPix on 5dc

why -- because they are not testing Equivalency Across Formats.  They are moving the crop sensor backwards  -- which is unfair!

Lesson for you over and over -- don't believe what you read at dxo or TDP when it comes to comparing across formats.  Believe Photozone -- they said not to use their site to do comparisons across formats

DXOMark may use average resolution/sharpness to give P-MPix number. DXOMark only give you an idea in Measurements | Sharpness | FieldMap but they didn't publish details tested MTF on each F stop and in center/mid-range/edge and corners.

Thanks for your comments so far.



-- hide signature --
 MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 5,012
Like?
Re: *** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***
In reply to MAC, Mar 18, 2013

MAC wrote:

schmegg wrote:

In the previous test, the OP very wisely provided the raw files with full EXIF attached. This makes his results verifiable by others.

but, his results match the prior op's and they match mine

And mine.

So, where are the raw files qianp2k?

Without them I afraid that your copious outspoken posts leaning in only one direction on this topic pretty much negates anything the images may or may not show.

For a start - those images are too small. I do believe it was you that kept calling for 5000 pixel wide images for a decent comparison.

you got to pixel peep to see any difference, which makes the exercise not relevant to real world shooting and deliverable s anyway

Depends. Cropping in hard, reach limited and macro situations might matter more though.

We need to see the raw files for ourselves (with full EXIF) if you are going to convince anyone of anything here. Otherwise, I'm afraid that it's just more of the same from you - despite what these images seem to imply (which is totally opposite to what you have been claiming all this time).

He's convince Dave, me, others. You think he's switching EXIF's? Conspiracy theory -- between prior Op in Bulgaria, and two US posters? LOL - Now that is Hilarious

No - didn't even look at the EXIF. To be honest, I don't think he would do that.

But I'd like to get the raw files all the same. The images he presented certainly don't allow a decent comparison of the difference.

BTW - where is the macro test? I still await a test from you that delivers exactly the same image detail to each sensor - the only sure way to tell which sensor can resolve more detail.

Equivalency Estimations between formats requires the same distance and FOV. You want same distance, but much narrower AOV for crop. Not valid.

LOL!

Of course it's valid.

As I've said to you before, consider a macro shot where you want maximum magnification of a very small subject - a situation where resolution really does matter a lot - arguably more than in almost any other shooting situation.

In this situation, the detail available at the sensor plane, as projected by the lens, is identical, and the best resolving camera will record more detail.

We all know what the answer is, but I'd still like to see Peter do this.

Just like DXO and TDP move the crop sensor backwards for same FOV -- which negates their equivalency determinations.

Photozone correctly says -- 11 times they say it on one page -- you can't compare their numbers across different formats

Correct - partially because the detail present at the sensor plane is different due to the tests begin conducted at different distances. The very thing the macro test eliminates!

When I compare with those sites -- I stay in the same format

Me too. Anyone who doesn't is making a mistake - though telling them this often proves incredibly difficult! Hehe!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 5,012
Like?
Re: Here are ACR processed
In reply to MAC, Mar 18, 2013

MAC wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

I took 3 shots on the dollar bill and on the school building with each lens and selected the best one (they virtually identical as I shoot all on tripod, MLU with 2-sec timer, remote release).

Processed in ACR and I enlarged 5D photos to the same size 5184x3456 from 4368x2912 thru Bicubic process. This time I picked up Adobe Standard profile, and give absolute zero sharpening (moved all bars to the very left in sharpening tab) and all default setting except adjust to the same color temperature. I exported to JPEG at max (12) quality.

I. Indoor dollar bill.

Bear in mind that I shoot at just outside the min focus distance. 60D focus thru 10x LV precisely while 5D thru AF (that may subject a bit more focus inaccuracy). I cropped out to only dollar bill (to save space).

Only with 24-70L II this time



ACR 5D+24-70L enlarged



ACR 6D+24-70L

II. Outdoor schools building



ACR 5D+24-70L II enlarged



ACR 60D+24-70L II enlarged

Please don't jump on conclusion if results turn to your either way I really tried my best effort and I did as fair as possible. I truly don't have agenda as I own both cameras. I wish less can do equally or even more like everyone else but still have to face reality

Here are my own impression.

60D in very close distance (sort of macro mode) on the dollar bill truly can leverage one of the best lenses, 24-70L II in very center area. It may edge out 5Dc in such scenario slightly but only very slightly.

5D photo in such close distance shows a bit moire in very tiny fine lines (that damaged a bit resolution) as DPR review said.

5D shows a bit advantage in outside from distance (or in real-world photo). It's noticeable sharper in edge/corners and has less noises even with 24-70L II.

With lesser lenses such as 24-105L and 70-200L/4.0 IS, 5D is almost the same if not slightly better even after enlargement in center on the dollar bill, and better on the school building. I will post results later as I am a bit tired today.

yes - 24-105 is a lesser lens - I wouldn't use it on crop.

But my 70-200 F2.8 L on T4i shows same results you got

so DXO Mark is a joke across formats

They rate 70-200 F2.8L an 8 MPix on 7d

and 70-200 F2.8L an 11 MPix on 5dc

why -- because they are not testing Equivalency Across Formats. They are moving the crop sensor backwards -- which is unfair!

They aren't measuring resolution either - they are measuring sharpness in most cases. Because they are testing lenses - not cameras!

Lesson for you over and over -- don't believe what you read at dxo or TDP when it comes to comparing across formats. Believe Photozone -- they said not to use their site to do comparisons across formats

DXOMark may use average resolution/sharpness to give P-MPix number. DXOMark only give you an idea in Measurements | Sharpness | FieldMap but they didn't publish details tested MTF on each F stop and in center/mid-range/edge and corners.

Thanks for your comments so far.



-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rebel99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,439
Like?
Re: *** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***
In reply to Sovern, Mar 18, 2013

Sovern wrote:

The differences that I'm seeing is that the 5D photos are more crisp and have less noise. The 60D photos actually look slightly blurry or hazy and have more noise compared to the 5D photos.

Before anyone calls me a fanboy or w/e I use a crop factor 40D so there is no bias here.

Anyone that says that MP's are more important than sensor size such as the 5Dc which has a 2.5X bigger sensor than the 60D are not well educated on the topic or else cheap micro 4/3rd cameras would be outperforming the 5Dc and the 5Dmkii.

i agree with your points, i think 5D photos have much more pleasing contrast and crispness as compared to slight overexposed and harsh looking photos of 60D! but then again, some obsessed minds will want nothing but the latest gear, whether acceptable in performance or not

cheerz.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
Re: Here are ACR processed
In reply to qianp2k, Mar 18, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

5D shows a bit advantage in outside from distance (or in real-world photo). It's noticeable sharper in edge/corners and has less noises even with 24-70L II.

I would have expected that it was the other way around, that the sharpness would decrease more towards the edge/corners on 5D because the 5D uses the whole image circle, while the 60D only uses 'the sweet spot'. That's also how it is according to DxO (sharpness/profiles) if comparing the 24-70L II at 35mm, f/5.6 on 5D vs. 24mm, f/4 on 7D. The center resolution is pretty much the same, and the 7D has a higher edge/corner resolution.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,733Gear list
Like?
Re: *** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***
In reply to rebel99, Mar 18, 2013

rebel99 wrote:

Sovern wrote:

The differences that I'm seeing is that the 5D photos are more crisp and have less noise. The 60D photos actually look slightly blurry or hazy and have more noise compared to the 5D photos.

Before anyone calls me a fanboy or w/e I use a crop factor 40D so there is no bias here.

Anyone that says that MP's are more important than sensor size such as the 5Dc which has a 2.5X bigger sensor than the 60D are not well educated on the topic or else cheap micro 4/3rd cameras would be outperforming the 5Dc and the 5Dmkii.

i agree with your points, i think 5D photos have much more pleasing contrast and crispness as compared to slight overexposed and harsh looking photos of 60D! but then again, some obsessed minds will want nothing but the latest gear, whether acceptable in performance or not

cheerz.

None of the photos are over exposed. They were processed as part of a resolution test...nothing else.  See,s like you're seeing what you want to see.

 Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 5,012
Like?
Re: *** 5Dc vs 60D resolution test ***
In reply to Dave Luttmann, Mar 18, 2013

Dave Luttmann wrote:

rebel99 wrote:

Sovern wrote:

The differences that I'm seeing is that the 5D photos are more crisp and have less noise. The 60D photos actually look slightly blurry or hazy and have more noise compared to the 5D photos.

Before anyone calls me a fanboy or w/e I use a crop factor 40D so there is no bias here.

Anyone that says that MP's are more important than sensor size such as the 5Dc which has a 2.5X bigger sensor than the 60D are not well educated on the topic or else cheap micro 4/3rd cameras would be outperforming the 5Dc and the 5Dmkii.

i agree with your points, i think 5D photos have much more pleasing contrast and crispness as compared to slight overexposed and harsh looking photos of 60D! but then again, some obsessed minds will want nothing but the latest gear, whether acceptable in performance or not

cheerz.

None of the photos are over exposed. They were processed as part of a resolution test...nothing else. See,s like you're seeing what you want to see.

"The Emperors New 5D Classic"

To be fair though, everyone has their preferences as to what they like - no problem with that. Problems do arise, however, when people continually assert with unwavering conviction things that are demonstrably false.

Anyway, I await the macro test and all the raws. They will tell the true story - and, as I can't get my hands on a 5D any more to do this myself, I am actually genuinely interested in the real difference (which, I suspect, and as MAC says, is pretty trivial for most applications)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads