I LOVE my d600

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions
John Crawley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,090
Like?
Re: Love mine too and...
In reply to D200_4me, Mar 18, 2013

I'm new to the D600, but I am getting outstanding results from it.

-- hide signature --

John Crawley
“Let there be light.” It all began right there.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wordsandsuch/show/
There are three kinds of people: those that are good at math and those that are not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,451
Like?
Re: I LOVE my d600
In reply to Brian Caslis, Mar 18, 2013

Brian Caslis wrote:

Love mine also. Anyone else notice that most of the hate for the D600 seems to come from those that don't have one?

I've been saying that for a long time now. A few of the loudest complainers on here with the most posts don't even own a D600, or even a full frame camera.  That isn't to say some people don't have a legitimate problem, but it give insight to the internet hysteria.

Both my D600's are still 100% oil free after thousands more shots.

Lucky Sky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,568
Like?
In reply to sd40, Mar 18, 2013

sd40 wrote:

The dust problem is a gnat on the elephant's rear end. I have taken my D600 to the dealer to be cleaned once already and will probably do so again. The spots are not an issue unless at f16 or above.

Please don't be so sure........your global statement is incorrect.

My D600 seems to be fixed by Nikon (a few more hundred snaps in the next month will tell) after they replaced the shutter mechanism. Note: My D600 showed oil spots at f/8 before repair.

And you misrepresent the core issue with the D600: Oil on the AA filter. Not dust but oil.
--
Lucky Sky
I'd rather be lucky than good

lera ion
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lucky Sky, Mar 18, 2013

D600, atomic bomb revenge...

lera ion's gear list:lera ion's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 +1 more
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,115Gear list
Like?
In reply to mironv, Mar 18, 2013

mironv wrote:

What alse do you love Orios. How about posting something others can learn from.

I love my kids, but there is no camera in this Universe that I will ever say I love one.

-- hide signature --

I don't know, but maybe I "almost" love my Leica M3 ;-).

-- hide signature --

Renato. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/ OnExposure member http://www.onexposure.net/ Good shooting and good luck (after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,115Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fogsville, Mar 18, 2013

Fogsville wrote:

sd40 wrote:

A career managing a business where we produced something real instead of imagery taught me that stuff happens, get some perspective and be careful about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I agree and certainly one has to be rational and pragmatic otherwise life will just pass you by. I've owned countless products (many were quite expensive) and none were ever perfect. Either it was a production issue, a QC issue, or a design issue. But I learned to live with any shortcomings because the overall experience was better than never experiencing the product at all. The more people worry about every issue (big or small, real or imagined) the more they will be giving up on certain rewards. e..g., driving a 1970s British sports car is still incredibly fun despite the notorious poor reliability. It's a shame to not be able experience that due only to the fear of it possibly breaking down. In general, I think many people tend to be a lot wimpier about things these days; many will never take the initiative to either DIY or just deal with what ever might come up.

I have a D600 and it has a debris issue. I'll never send it to Nikon, that's a waste of time, effort, and expense on my part. I'll just clean it myself (takes only a few minutes and is so easy to do.) I've had to wet clean it several times so far, but overall the camera has served its purpose for my needs (a high pixel count back up body to my D3s.) The IQ is excellent and it was only $2k (considering it's as good in IQ as the D3x which was almost $9k when new in 2008.) At first I considered the issue a real PITA but then simply telling myself that I can live with it solved it all for me......

My Leica M3 and my D80 are perfect, both to this day. The D7000 has a few small issues. I haven't changed, the cameras seem to be going downhill from where I stand.

-- hide signature --

Renato. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/ OnExposure member http://www.onexposure.net/ Good shooting and good luck (after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Bob from Plymouth
Contributing MemberPosts: 590Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulski66, Mar 18, 2013

Yes, I was wondering why some people are so critical of a camera with a DXO mark second only to the Nikon D800 and better than ALL the opposition.

My D600 takes fantastic photographs and is a pleasure to use, so that's how I'll judge it.

Bob from Plymouth's gear list:Bob from Plymouth's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon Coolpix P300 Nikon D700 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
CeleryBeats
Contributing MemberPosts: 650Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob from Plymouth, Mar 18, 2013

Bob from Plymouth wrote:

Yes, I was wondering why some people are so critical of a camera with a DXO mark second only to the Nikon D800 and better than ALL the opposition.

My D600 takes fantastic photographs and is a pleasure to use, so that's how I'll judge it.

Because some people are people who don't know how to enjoy a camera in a normal fashion. Or people who are frustrated because they can't figure out how to take a good picture. So they look for something else to do with it; Bitch and whine

CeleryBeats's gear list:CeleryBeats's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Sony RX100 II Nikon D800 +4 more
CraigBennett
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
In reply to FlyfishNerd, Mar 18, 2013

FlyfishNerd wrote:

Congrats. You might be one of the few...

After reading all the problems with the D600 and D800 I'm glad I moved on to something else.

I seriously hope you will stay happy with it and wil make lots of beautiful pictures.

Kind regards,

Ed

I "like" my D800e(s).  From the images I've seen from the D600, it seems to be a very good camera.

Regards,

-- hide signature --
 CraigBennett's gear list:CraigBennett's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,787Gear list
Like?
In reply to rhlpetrus, Mar 18, 2013

rhlpetrus wrote:

My Leica M3 and my D80 are perfect, both to this day. The D7000 has a few small issues. I haven't changed, the cameras seem to be going downhill from where I stand.

My d600 is light-years ahead of my old d80. The two cameras aren't even in the same league.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +6 more
Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,844Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob from Plymouth, Mar 18, 2013

Bob from Plymouth wrote:

Brian Caslis wrote:

Love mine also. Anyone else notice that most of the hate for the D600 seems to come from those that don't have one?

I think that's partly the problem but there are some unhappy D600 owners, just as there are some unhappy owners of almost any product. The question is how many have Nikon actually sold and what is the ratio of dirty D600's to clean ones? Also how many other DSLR's would show a similar amount of sensor dirt on a de-focussed sky shot at f16? Only nobody is looking for it.

I haven't noticed any sensor dirt/dust on my D600 in normal use but if I do "the test" I can see a few spots. I never cleaned my D700 in two-and-a-half years and the images were ok - but you could find some spots if you did "the test". Similarly my Olympus cameras, the first with sensor cleaning, were never cleaned but it was possible to find the odd spot under lab' conditions. The difference was that nobody got paranoid about it.

I do agree that there are unhappy users who have bought the camera. And since they bought it I do think they have a right to complain. But it seems to me most of the posts here about this issue are coming from those who don't have it.

And I do agree that it's become almost paranoid. I love the posts from some users that they have had their camera for two years and it never gets any dust. I'd like to see some proof of that, hard to believe unless they only take pictures inside a clean room!

I did see on another website this morning that someone purchased a D7100 and they were returning it because it had a dust spot and therefore was defective!

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +4 more
Lucky Sky
Senior MemberPosts: 1,568
Like?
In reply to lera ion, Mar 18, 2013

lera ion wrote:

D600, atomic bomb revenge...

Between your two posts on this thread, I feel like I'm reading my fortune found inside a fortune cookie while dining at a Chinese restaurant (an American custom, I think).

-- hide signature --

Lucky Sky
I'd rather be lucky than good

mnodonnell
Contributing MemberPosts: 639
Like?
Noted.

I love (but don't LOVE) that you can get decent wine in a box.

-- hide signature --

www.michaelneilodonnell.com

Fogsville
Contributing MemberPosts: 526
Like?
In reply to rhlpetrus, Mar 18, 2013

rhlpetrus wrote:

Fogsville wrote:

sd40 wrote:

A career managing a business where we produced something real instead of imagery taught me that stuff happens, get some perspective and be careful about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I agree and certainly one has to be rational and pragmatic otherwise life will just pass you by. I've owned countless products (many were quite expensive) and none were ever perfect. Either it was a production issue, a QC issue, or a design issue. But I learned to live with any shortcomings because the overall experience was better than never experiencing the product at all. The more people worry about every issue (big or small, real or imagined) the more they will be giving up on certain rewards. e..g., driving a 1970s British sports car is still incredibly fun despite the notorious poor reliability. It's a shame to not be able experience that due only to the fear of it possibly breaking down. In general, I think many people tend to be a lot wimpier about things these days; many will never take the initiative to either DIY or just deal with what ever might come up.

I have a D600 and it has a debris issue. I'll never send it to Nikon, that's a waste of time, effort, and expense on my part. I'll just clean it myself (takes only a few minutes and is so easy to do.) I've had to wet clean it several times so far, but overall the camera has served its purpose for my needs (a high pixel count back up body to my D3s.) The IQ is excellent and it was only $2k (considering it's as good in IQ as the D3x which was almost $9k when new in 2008.) At first I considered the issue a real PITA but then simply telling myself that I can live with it solved it all for me......

-- hide signature --

fwiw, I've owned Leicas since I was 17 years old. I still use the M4 and M6 classic (non-TTL.) But Leica is not perfect.  There are many known issues and one major one with M3/M2 cameras is the use of balsamic glue in the rangefinder optics.  I hope that your M3 never separates.  Just try not to set it down too hard, because it may start to separate.  The fix is very expensive and normally requires a donor M3 camera.  In addition, while the M3 is a well built camera it's really more about Leica mythology than practical everyday real world use, imho.  There are no 35mm frame lines and loading the camera is laborious (don't lose that take up spool!)  The M4 was a dramatic improvement in real world use.  A more current M6 makes even more sense (or the currently produced MP.)  The M3 is great but in general it's really more for geeks who like cool retro stuff.

The M6 has issues with the light meter primarily due to bad solder joints.  It's relatively common to need a fix (one of the LEDs will go out.)  There are other numerous niggling issues with a Leica rangefinder primarily due to its design (the rangefinder optics while good, are somewhat archaic now.)

The M9 has had its issues, too (and pretty major ones.)  SD card problems, sensor cover glass cracking, tripod mount stressing the body shell (they changed the base plate completely with the new M240 so it doesn't happen anymore.)  And of course we all know of the IR sensitivity issue with the M8 when it was introduced (and the "coffee stain" LCD problem can no longer be fixed since they ran out of replacement parts.)  I will give Leica a big thumbs up for excellent customer service, despite the design and build issues. Maybe the new M240 will be error-free (?)

I've never owned a D80 so I can't comment, but it's a disposable consumer electronic device and it's past its end of life.  It will get thrown away eventually.  It's obsolete (yes, still useable but there are better ways of doing things now; this is 2013. That's really what obsolescence means.)

I still stand by my opinion that all products suffer some sort of issues sometime in their life, whether it's in production or overall design.  Porsche, Mercedes, Toyota, Canon, Leica, Nikon.  Etc., etc..  (e.g., the Porsche 993 was the last of the air cooled 'old school' Porsches, but it suffers from SAI port issues which was a design flaw for the USA import version.  Porsche also had major RMS and IMS issues with the 996. Mercedes suffered big time QC especially with the W210 and W211 models. And if you own a later E90 BMW then you know what HPFP means. But they are all still great cars and enjoyable to drive; just be prepared....)

In general the overall use value and enjoyment of many products more often than not overshadows most of the issues inherent with them.  And overall, products are getting better and not worse (esp with reliability; cars used to break down a lot more than they do today, etc..)

CaseySRT
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?

I've had my D600 for about a month and I wouldn't send it back if I could. People love negative stuff, there are a TON of great reviews on the D600, but people choose to look for and focus on the bad.

Sdaniella
Regular MemberPosts: 289Gear list
Like?
I LOVE my d600 = GREAT! Nikon is always happy to please, so a sequel D600s will follow soon after!
In reply to paulski66, Mar 19, 2013

paulski66 wrote:

Just thought I'd throw that out there...

I LOVE my d600 = GREAT!

Nikon is always happy to please, so a sequel, D600s will follow soon after!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/51109892

so you could love it, or love Nikon, even more!

-- hide signature --

sdyue
(not 'Steve D Yue' (my husband (RIP)))

Sdaniella's gear list:Sdaniella's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
JJ1983
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?

Like the camera, detest the spots...

Ron E Trees
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,935Gear list
Like?

paulski66 wrote:

Just thought I'd throw that out there...

You are not alone!! I love mine also!!!!

Ron

-- hide signature --

'The question is not what you look at, but what you see'. Henry David Thoreau http://ront.smugmug.com/

Ron E Trees's gear list:Ron E Trees's gear list
Nikon D600
rdub
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fogsville, Mar 19, 2013

I totally agree with Fogsville. Clean it or send it in.....I clean it and no big deal.

rdub's gear list:rdub's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D810 +2 more
Mick5
Regular MemberPosts: 217Gear list
Like?

paulski66 Iam glad you love your D600 rather complaining what ever gear we have what ever problems they have it was our choice to buy it and now we have to enjoy rather complaining. I have D800 and like it so much never bother to check left focus problem.

Mick5's gear list:Mick5's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads