Considering 10-22 mm, how long do you think Canon will support "S" lenses?

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions
FNorman
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Considering 10-22 mm, how long do you think Canon will support "S" lenses?
Mar 17, 2013

I've been using a Rebel xsi for the past few years with the 18-55mm kit lens and am very happy with it. That said, there have been many occasions where I wish I could step backward in order to get a broader perspective and haven't been able to due to the circumstances (aisles, narrow pathways, walls, etc). I'm also interested in the different effects that can be achieved. I have been looking at the 10-22mm lens since I purchased the camera in 2008.

Any thoughts/suggestions/tips regarding the 10-22mm lens would be appreciated but my biggest concern is over whether or not Canon will continue to make cameras that use the "S" lenses. I imagine the 1.6x crop sensors won't be around forever right?

JoeDuffus
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
Re: Considering 10-22 mm, how long do you think Canon will support "S" lenses?
In reply to FNorman, Mar 18, 2013

I wouldn't worry about that. I think crop sensor cameras and lenses will be around for a very long time. The question is not whether Canon will stop offering them. The question is whether YOU will decide after a couple of years that you want a full frame camera. Then, you'd sell the 10-22 and get something else.

I would also suggest you take a look at Tokina's 11-16mm f2.8 lens. Less expensive, very well built and sharp. I love it.

JoeDuffus's gear list:JoeDuffus's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon EOS 500D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Yan Duval
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?

I've worked a bit for the semi-conductor industry and I can tell you that the FF sensors are probably 4X more expensive to manufacture than the APS-C. These sensors are allready expensive because of their large size too.

I'm betting that the APS-C sensors are here to stay.  I also find that image quality is pretty darn good on my 4Ti.

-- hide signature --

Yan

Yan Duval's gear list:Yan Duval's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Matty W
Regular MemberPosts: 195
Like?
In reply to Yan Duval, Mar 18, 2013

Yan Duval wrote:

I've worked a bit for the semi-conductor industry and I can tell you that the FF sensors are probably 4X more expensive to manufacture than the APS-C. These sensors are allready expensive because of their large size too.

I'm betting that the APS-C sensors are here to stay. I also find that image quality is pretty darn good on my 4Ti.

-- hide signature --

Yan

I think Canon once made the claim that their FF sensors cost something like 20-100X as much as their crop sensors, which seems unlikely, but if that's even close to true it's remarkable.

Fwiw, I agree: just get the 10-22mm EF-S lens and don't look back. It's cheaper than getting a 6D and a 17-40mm L. By the time 1.6x crop sensors are eliminated (though it is weird how long the current generation of sensors has persisted, isn't it?!) it will be time for a new camera and the 6D equivalent will be the price of a t2i.

I own the 11-16mm f2.8 and love it, but the Canon seems to have advantages, too. Wider and less flare, maybe sightly better IQ.

The A-Team
Regular MemberPosts: 351
Like?

I used a 10-22mm for 6+ years on crop. Now I'm shooting full frame, but I wouldn't regret that purchase at all. It's still a remarkable lens, in great shape. i would go for one.

-- hide signature --

www.aputure.com/blog

FNorman
Like?
Thanks for the insight
In reply to Matty W, Mar 18, 2013

With how often they come out with new cameras I would have thought a full frame Rebel be just around the corner. I see there is more to it than that.
I don't see myself investing a great deal of money into a camera body anytime soon, unless there is some dramatic advancement.
I'm surprised to be still enjoying my xsi after almost 5 years and thought I would have upgraded by now, but a new lens seems like it would be so much more useful and enjoyable to use.

photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,100
Like?
Re: Thanks for the insight

FNorman wrote:

With how often they come out with new cameras I would have thought a full frame Rebel be just around the corner. I see there is more to it than that.
I don't see myself investing a great deal of money into a camera body anytime soon, unless there is some dramatic advancement.
I'm surprised to be still enjoying my xsi after almost 5 years and thought I would have upgraded by now, but a new lens seems like it would be so much more useful and enjoyable to use.

Going for a UWA is definitively worthwhile, if you constantly run out of room. I wouldn't want to miss my Canon 10-22 anymore. As mentioned, the crop factor/EF-S is not going away. You will notice that the EOS-M has the same sized sensor, and you can use EF-S lenses on that one as well. There are many more crop cameras sold than FF cameras. Going FF just means more expensive, also with lenses.

The Canon 10-22 is a nice lens, but you could also look at the Sigma 10-20 (f4) or the Sigma 8-16mm.  They can be mounted also on FF cameras, although they will vignette. The Canon 10-22 can also be used on FF, by popping of the rear part, but you have to very careful, at 10mm the rear lens will hit the mirror. Of course it will vignette as well. But you could use it in the 16 (? forgot range) -22mm range on FF, it has been done.

Of course simple thing is to sell everything if you want to change to FF, which I see in my case never happening, because everything gets bigger and heavier.

-- hide signature --

*** Life is short, time to zoom in *** ©

Damoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 590Gear list
Like?

EF-S 10-22mm  is a fantastic lens. IMHO it produces less flare & less distortion and very sharp. I am going full frame soon but I might choose to keep my 7D & not sell it because I still can use the 10-22 lens. I feel tough to part with it. Though I am not an expert in making full use of that lens, I feel if used with a little creative mind, u can create stunning perspectives.

Tokina 11-16 & the sigma 8-16mm also appear to be good with positive feedback from users.

Damoo's gear list:Damoo's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Telhma
Regular MemberPosts: 342
Like?

I think the croped sensor will stay there for a long time. some wildlife fotographers prefaire even the croped camera abouve the FF. So why would they ban them, the technolegy is not standing still, and i am sure also the croped cameras will still improve. I look forward to see the sensor of the new 7D in half a year

greets

meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,408
Like?
Re: Thanks for the insight
In reply to photonius, Mar 18, 2013

photonius wrote:

The Canon 10-22 can also be used on FF, by popping of the rear part, but you have to very careful, at 10mm the rear lens will hit the mirror. Of course it will vignette as well. But you could use it in the 16 (? forgot range) -22mm range on FF, it has been done.

Don't do it.  You will eventually forget the zoom position and fcuk up your mirror.  And Canon will not be very sympathetic when you send it in for repair.

tonyjr
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,150Gear list
Like?

The only problems I hace had with the 10-22 -

At 10 - 11 mm - if lens is not level and square , things that are at the edge of shot bend . Once you learn lens , no problem cropping out .

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
FNorman
Like?
Thanks for all the responses

Everyone has been very helpful, now the only things I have to decide is where to purchase and whether or not to get a filter/lens hood as well. I didn't like using a filters on my kit lens, but it's possible that was because the ones I tried were not very good quality. I do like a lens hood though.

photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,100
Like?
Re: Thanks for all the responses

FNorman wrote:

Everyone has been very helpful, now the only things I have to decide is where to purchase and whether or not to get a filter/lens hood as well. I didn't like using a filters on my kit lens, but it's possible that was because the ones I tried were not very good quality. I do like a lens hood though.

depends which UWA you go for. If you go with the Canon, I can tell you that the hood from Canon is a beast, very wide (and shallow, but all hoods for UWA are that). I bought a cheap version from ebay, and I am happy that I didn't spend the money on the Canon version, because it essentially stays always at home, because of the stupid shape (all the other hoods I can reverse on the lens for storage in the bag). So, it's my hand that has to play the role of the hood in some scenarios, to block the sun, although as mentioned, the lens is very flare resistant. There is just one  particular angle where one has to be careful.

As to filters, of course there are pros and cons.  If you get a good, multicoated filter, it should be ok, apart from perhaps a little extra flare, but you can always take off the filter. The biggest problems with filters always seem to be on longer focal lengths, e.g., the Canon 100-400, not the shorter focal lengths. In my case, I use a filter on the 10-22 during traveling, because the front elements move within an outer barrel when zooming. That means you have an inner barrel moving inside the outer barrel, and in this edge, if there is dust coming in, it would be difficult to clean, and dirt might work itself into the lens when zooming. With the filter, you seal that. Of course the lens itself is not dust sealed like an L, but a least one dust entry point can be sealed.

-- hide signature --

*** Life is short, time to zoom in *** ©

photosen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,798Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks for all the responses
In reply to FNorman, Mar 19, 2013

I got an expensive UV filter, never used it and sold it; I got the original lens hood, ditto, it's cumbersome, even though I keep hoods on all my lenses. I did get a polarizer filter and while it needs to be used with care (half the sky will be darker than the other) I love what it does on this lens.

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
KENTGA
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,363Gear list
Like?

No need to worry about the EF-S lenses dying. The 10-22 is a good lens and I use mine quite often.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D +14 more
digitalrock
Contributing MemberPosts: 518
Like?

I'm dumping all my EF-S and going for 5D mk III

vvv14
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?

Considering how good 10-22mm is, you shouldn't worry how long Canon will support EF-S lenses.

If you fancy shooting that FL, get it. It's an excellent lens, it hardly gets any better for crops.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads