Regular MemberPosts: 181
Like?
best 50mm / 35mm legacy lens for value/optical quality for nex-7
Mar 17, 2013

can you please reccomend any good lenses i should consider

i'm currently looking at the 50mm canon fd 1.4

is this any good? any others... i dont' want to spend too  much

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,717
Like?
Re: best 50mm / 35mm legacy lens for value/optical quality for nex-7
In reply to wakkaday, Mar 17, 2013

wakkaday wrote:

is this any good? any others... i dont' want to spend too much

You can't do better than the Canon FD 50 1.4, regardless of price, although Zeiss and Leica might give it a run for the money.  If you can find one get the FDn.  It's lighter and I believe somewhat better but there is not much difference between it and the older FD.

Regarding 35mm, I would also recommend the Canon FDn 35 f2.  There are several earlier versions, which are also excellent.  They are heavier and a little cheaper.  The FDn is hard to find in really good condition.  If you go for the older version with the thorium element, try to get the S.S.C. one, although again there is not a lot of difference.

I have tried many 35mm lenses and a few 50s, including a Zeiss and Voigtlander, and settled on the FDn's based on their sheer IQ.

Caveat:  These older lenses vary a lot according to sample.  I had to get two FDn's of both before I found ones that lived up to their billing.

Michael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BobK77
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?

wakkaday wrote:

is this any good? any others... i dont' want to spend too much

Canon 50mm/F1.4 practically glued in to my NEX 5N. This is the sharpest lens with the exellent colour rendering in my collection. You cannot go wrong with this lens.

BobK77's gear list:BobK77's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
wakkaday
Like?
In reply to Michael Everett, Mar 17, 2013

great, very useful. ive just missed out a few bids on ebay

is the minolta md 1.7 50mm any good ?

Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,381
Like?

In the 35/50 ange I vouch for the PEN F 38/1.8. Bleedingly sharp wide open, "peaks" very well, tiny, cute, perfect.

-- hide signature --

If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up.

YuriS
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?

wakkaday wrote:

great, very useful. ive just missed out a few bids on ebay

is the minolta md 1.7 50mm any good ?

Hi! I used Minolta 50mm MD f1.7, Minolta 50mm MC Rokkor PG f1.4 and Minolta 50mm MD Rokkor f1.4. All have very good image quality, well built. I can say all a bit soft open wide, very good for portraits. See samples:

http://natalispalette.jimdo.com/photo/minolta-md-rokkor-50mm-f1-4-lens/

http://natalispalette.jimdo.com/photo/minolta-md-50mm-f1-7-lens/

YuriS's gear list:YuriS's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
Jokica
Contributing MemberPosts: 567Gear list
Like?

This is my choice:

1. You can not go wrong with FD lenses. Pentax 1.4/50 is also great.

2. Also, consider Konica Hexanon 1.7/50 and 1.8/40

3. Helios 44M-x. It is not 50mm, it is 2.0/58, but great lens and cheap as dirt.

P.S. Above mentioned PEN F 38/1.8 is great, but not so cheap.

Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
BasiliskPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 675
Like?
In reply to Jokica, Mar 17, 2013

Another vote for the Canon FD 1.4 - good portrait lens with nice minimum focus distance. You are right to be concerned about finding a good 35mm though - it will probably spend more time on your camera. There was a thread about the Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2.4 recently which is a great general purpose/closeup lens, but no longer as cheap as it was. Most 35mm lenses with aperture f2 or wider seem to be considered "premium" now.

daddyman
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jokica, Mar 17, 2013

I have the Konica 50/1.7, 50/1.4, and 40/1.8. My favorite by far is the 50/1.7. It is extremely sharp across the frame and is sharper in the corners completely stopped down than the other 2.

Mike

daddyman's gear list:daddyman's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 +1 more
wakkaday
Like?
In reply to daddyman, Mar 17, 2013

I've just managed to bid for a minolta md 50mm 1.7 lens for around £18 uk price

Is that a good value for this lens. I wanted a 1.4 but then I think this lens may be more then sufficient for portraits and get me good bokeh right ?

I just need to buy an adaptor? Is there anything else .

I'm new to photography . Do I need any filters / lens hood ?

Thanks guys very useful recommendations

BasiliskPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 675
Like?

Is that a good value for this lens. I wanted a 1.4 but then I think this lens may be more then sufficient for portraits and get me good bokeh right ?

1.4 is nice to have, but until you have quite a lot of practice, you will probably find most your shots have slightly missed focus! f1.7 is still wider than you need for a lot of situations.

Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,599Gear list
Like?
In reply to wakkaday, Mar 18, 2013

wakkaday wrote:

That lens should be splendid! You will, of course, need a Minolta MD to NEX adapter. You should also get a lens shade, which will both reduce the contrast-killing effects of off-axis light, and keep your fingers off the front element. Though it will surely irk some who believe in them, don't cover the lens with a "UV" or "skylight" filter unless your're prepared to purchase a filter that costs 3-5x what you paid for the lens. They don't really "protect" the lens, and none are as fine as the optical glass of your lens.

For your background, that lens is the one the famous photographer W. Eugene Smith used in recording his epic photojournalism book, "Minimata," the story of a lead polluter in Japan's horrific effect on a small town. That lens was used to make a LIFE magazine cover.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Jokica
Contributing MemberPosts: 567Gear list
Like?
In reply to daddyman, Mar 18, 2013

daddyman wrote:

I have the Konica 50/1.7, 50/1.4, and 40/1.8. My favorite by far is the 50/1.7. It is extremely sharp across the frame and is sharper in the corners completely stopped down than the other 2.

Mike

Sorry for the off-topic here, but can you please tell me, regarding Konica 1.7/50, did you use / using old version or new? I have new version, but I am looking for some opinion and comparison between old and new version. Thanks!

http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e50_17.html

Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,906Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mel Snyder, Mar 18, 2013

Mel Snyder wrote:

wakkaday wrote:

That lens should be splendid! You will, of course, need a Minolta MD to NEX adapter. You should also get a lens shade, which will both reduce the contrast-killing effects of off-axis light, and keep your fingers off the front element. Though it will surely irk some who believe in them, don't cover the lens with a "UV" or "skylight" filter unless your're prepared to purchase a filter that costs 3-5x what you paid for the lens. They don't really "protect" the lens, and none are as fine as the optical glass of your lens.

For your background, that lens is the one the famous photographer W. Eugene Smith used in recording his epic photojournalism book, "Minimata," the story of a lead polluter in Japan's horrific effect on a small town. That lens was used to make a LIFE magazine cover.

Manual MC and the newer MD Minolta lenses can be excellent. I have several.

The famed MD and MC Rokkor 50mm f1.4 are very very sharp. The f1.2's, both 50 and 55 mm  have the best bokeh. The 50/1.7's are quite common and very good. The 50 f2 is small, lightweight, offers multi-coating and is sharp right from wide open, and may offer the best value. I recommend avoiding the cheap 45, which works better with m43 system cameras.

There were many other variants. The Minolta MD/MC lens adapters are the easiest to operate.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Lens%20Reviews.html

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads