Need advice...

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Questions
Adam D Perler
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
Need advice...
Mar 17, 2013

I have been a long time and proud Olympus owner.  I stared with the e-330 and then graduated to an e-3 and then moved on to the e-5.  I have loved my equipment.  About 1 month ago, I had my camera bag stolen out of my car which included my e-5, 12-60, 50-200, and my ec-14.  Thankfully my home owners insurance will help me replace my equipment.  Had I not lost my kit, I planed on looking to see what the e-7 brings as an upgrade to the e-5, especially since I had already had a substantial investment in 4/3rds.  Now I just have my fl50r flash and my 50mm macro lens left.

With that being said, I am trying to decide what to do.  I don't think I want to get the e5 again at  this point, as the e7 is just around the corner and should be a significant step forward.  I was hoping for a hybrid camera that would allow me to take advantage of both lens lineups.

I have two young children so I am shooting action photos, portraits, occasional dance recitals, street candids, and local sports (cycling).  I do some semi-professional stuff, but I mostly would say that I am an advanced enthusiast who occasionally does shoots and sells a gallery photo here and there.

I have about a 5k budget with my replacement money.  I have thought about grabbing an epl5 as a small and cheap solution while I wait out to see whether or not the "pro-omd" will fit the bill this fall.  This way I would be able to have two systems that share the same lenses.

The other option would be to grab the omd-em5 now and with the new lens rebate ($150 per lens), replace the 12-60 and 50-200 and then wait for the e-7 to come out.  Then I will have a take along camera for family stuff (the em5) and the e-7 for any shoots I do.

The final option would be to sit tight and grab a high end point and shoot such as the lx7 ($300 currently) and then wait it out until the fall.  I just want to make sure I don't miss out on any photo opportunities as my girls are growing between now and the Fall announcements.

I got advice from one pro who told me to grab the Lx7 and the Nikon d7100 as this set up will likely compete well with the newer Olympus models for a smaller price tag and would be every bit as versatile.  (d7100 body only is $1100 versus the current price of the e-5 at $1699).

Any advice is welcome.  I have gone back and forth with this and for some reason cannot think clearly.  While I am excited about the new possibilities, I would have rather not been in this situation.  But since I am, I would like to make the most of it.

What would you do given where we are with Olympus.  I have not gotten into the doom and gloom, but perhaps that is because I was heavily invested with equipment.  I have been a huge supporter over the past 10 years, but if I ever were to look at the current competitors, this would be the time.  On the other hand, I am an artistic shooter and have always felt Olympus innovation enhanced my ability to use my equipment in a more artistic way... I guess it is the infamous oly colors.

Thanks,

Adam

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

 Adam D Perler's gear list:Adam D Perler's gear list
Olympus E-M1
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7100 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,803Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to Adam D Perler, Mar 17, 2013

Adam D Perler wrote:

I have been a long time and proud Olympus owner. I stared with the e-330 and then graduated to an e-3 and then moved on to the e-5. I have loved my equipment. About 1 month ago, I had my camera bag stolen out of my car which included my e-5, 12-60, 50-200, and my ec-14. Thankfully my home owners insurance will help me replace my equipment. Had I not lost my kit, I planed on looking to see what the e-7 brings as an upgrade to the e-5, especially since I had already had a substantial investment in 4/3rds. Now I just have my fl50r flash and my 50mm macro lens left.

With that being said, I am trying to decide what to do. I don't think I want to get the e5 again at this point, as the e7 is just around the corner and should be a significant step forward. I was hoping for a hybrid camera that would allow me to take advantage of both lens lineups.

I have two young children so I am shooting action photos, portraits, occasional dance recitals, street candids, and local sports (cycling). I do some semi-professional stuff, but I mostly would say that I am an advanced enthusiast who occasionally does shoots and sells a gallery photo here and there.

I have about a 5k budget with my replacement money. I have thought about grabbing an epl5 as a small and cheap solution while I wait out to see whether or not the "pro-omd" will fit the bill this fall. This way I would be able to have two systems that share the same lenses.

The other option would be to grab the omd-em5 now and with the new lens rebate ($150 per lens), replace the 12-60 and 50-200 and then wait for the e-7 to come out. Then I will have a take along camera for family stuff (the em5) and the e-7 for any shoots I do.

The final option would be to sit tight and grab a high end point and shoot such as the lx7 ($300 currently) and then wait it out until the fall. I just want to make sure I don't miss out on any photo opportunities as my girls are growing between now and the Fall announcements.

I got advice from one pro who told me to grab the Lx7 and the Nikon d7100 as this set up will likely compete well with the newer Olympus models for a smaller price tag and would be every bit as versatile. (d7100 body only is $1100 versus the current price of the e-5 at $1699).

Any advice is welcome. I have gone back and forth with this and for some reason cannot think clearly. While I am excited about the new possibilities, I would have rather not been in this situation. But since I am, I would like to make the most of it.

What would you do given where we are with Olympus. I have not gotten into the doom and gloom, but perhaps that is because I was heavily invested with equipment. I have been a huge supporter over the past 10 years, but if I ever were to look at the current competitors, this would be the time. On the other hand, I am an artistic shooter and have always felt Olympus innovation enhanced my ability to use my equipment in a more artistic way... I guess it is the infamous oly colors.

Thanks,

Adam

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

The best advice I can give is to reach into your heart and soul and search for what excites you in photography, and how you wish to be challenged and rewarded.  None of us knows what the future will bring with anything, let alone Olympus or another camera maker may or may not do.  I know what works for me (well some of the time anyhow).  I do not know what works for you.  As your signature line says....when I do it...I understand it.  And best of everything, whatever path you choose.

Roger.

 Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,162
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to Adam D Perler, Mar 17, 2013

I would just like to say that if you do go the M43 route don't discount Panasonic cameras which arguably have more DSLR like handling (better grip etc).

The Panasonic G5 in particular is a bargain at the moment and is an inexpensive way to test the waters and see if you like what M43 has to offer (EVF, small size etc)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Adam D Perler
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to Roger Engelken, Mar 17, 2013

Roger Engelken wrote:

Adam D Perler wrote:

I have been a long time and proud Olympus owner. I stared with the e-330 and then graduated to an e-3 and then moved on to the e-5. I have loved my equipment. About 1 month ago, I had my camera bag stolen out of my car which included my e-5, 12-60, 50-200, and my ec-14. Thankfully my home owners insurance will help me replace my equipment. Had I not lost my kit, I planed on looking to see what the e-7 brings as an upgrade to the e-5, especially since I had already had a substantial investment in 4/3rds. Now I just have my fl50r flash and my 50mm macro lens left.

With that being said, I am trying to decide what to do. I don't think I want to get the e5 again at this point, as the e7 is just around the corner and should be a significant step forward. I was hoping for a hybrid camera that would allow me to take advantage of both lens lineups.

I have two young children so I am shooting action photos, portraits, occasional dance recitals, street candids, and local sports (cycling). I do some semi-professional stuff, but I mostly would say that I am an advanced enthusiast who occasionally does shoots and sells a gallery photo here and there.

I have about a 5k budget with my replacement money. I have thought about grabbing an epl5 as a small and cheap solution while I wait out to see whether or not the "pro-omd" will fit the bill this fall. This way I would be able to have two systems that share the same lenses.

The other option would be to grab the omd-em5 now and with the new lens rebate ($150 per lens), replace the 12-60 and 50-200 and then wait for the e-7 to come out. Then I will have a take along camera for family stuff (the em5) and the e-7 for any shoots I do.

The final option would be to sit tight and grab a high end point and shoot such as the lx7 ($300 currently) and then wait it out until the fall. I just want to make sure I don't miss out on any photo opportunities as my girls are growing between now and the Fall announcements.

I got advice from one pro who told me to grab the Lx7 and the Nikon d7100 as this set up will likely compete well with the newer Olympus models for a smaller price tag and would be every bit as versatile. (d7100 body only is $1100 versus the current price of the e-5 at $1699).

Any advice is welcome. I have gone back and forth with this and for some reason cannot think clearly. While I am excited about the new possibilities, I would have rather not been in this situation. But since I am, I would like to make the most of it.

What would you do given where we are with Olympus. I have not gotten into the doom and gloom, but perhaps that is because I was heavily invested with equipment. I have been a huge supporter over the past 10 years, but if I ever were to look at the current competitors, this would be the time. On the other hand, I am an artistic shooter and have always felt Olympus innovation enhanced my ability to use my equipment in a more artistic way... I guess it is the infamous oly colors.

Thanks,

Adam

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

The best advice I can give is to reach into your heart and soul and search for what excites you in photography, and how you wish to be challenged and rewarded. None of us knows what the future will bring with anything, let alone Olympus or another camera maker may or may not do. I know what works for me (well some of the time anyhow). I do not know what works for you. As your signature line says....when I do it...I understand it. And best of everything, whatever path you choose.

Roger.

Roger,

That is great insight.  I know my old equipment best and very little about the u4/3rds line or the other camera makers.  I believe I have a personal bias towards Olympus, but that is based on my past experiences only.  I guess I should take my time and look at some of the other options out there and see if any of them speak to me in the way my old Olympus equipment did.  I loved my e-5, but I do have to admit... it was a bit cumbersome at times for the more casual shoots.  Like you said, I will just have to go and get some different cameras in my hand and see if they excite me at all.  I was just hoping to see what other ideas members of this column had, especially since this is the forum that my photography started with 10 years ago.

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

 Adam D Perler's gear list:Adam D Perler's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,068Gear list
Like?
Similar situation
In reply to Adam D Perler, Mar 17, 2013

Almost a year ago, I had a break-in, and they took just about all my camera gear.  E-520, E-500, OM-4 and C-2100, 12-60 and 70-300.

I was already looking at the E-M5 though, my plan before the robbery was to pick up the body w my tax refund, use the lenses I already had and gradually add to them.

After the robbery, I didn't have enough to replace what was stolen and get into m43m so I jumped into micro w both feet- E-M5 w 12-50, used 45 and 100-300, dekitted 14mm

I had considered the E-30, but didn't really want to go larger, and the OM-D checked off more boxes for me

Today, if I was not bothered by the size of the bigger 4/3 bodies, I'd probably pick up an E-30 to tide me over until the next gen camera came out, or if I was looking to go smaller, I would buy the E-M5 and not worry about the OM-D pro.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

 Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mariomirabile
Senior MemberPosts: 1,269Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to Adam D Perler, Mar 17, 2013

Every time I load up a bag with my E5/12-60/50-200/7-14/EC-14/FL50R (God forbid I should add the bigma....) I begin to wonder just how hard it would be to switch to a nice compact and light setup of an OMD with a nice light collection of primes.

Don't get me wrong, I love my four thirds gear - especially the glass - and will likely eventually commit to whatever the next body is. However, if I was in your position now, I would seriously look at a lighter and more compact option. If you want to stay in the Oly camp, get enough camera to tide you over till the next announcement. There are some seriously good deals on second and third gen pens at the moment which wouldn't take much of a bite out of your capital and are more than good enough as a stop-gap solution. I also hear great things about the higher end Sony NEX cameras (have a look at Kirk Tuck's blog). The one area where the mirrorless camp still lags is in continuous autofocus, so beware if that's important to you.

If you want to say with a DSLR, Then the HG glass is an excellent reason to stay with Olympus, but the constant speculation of will there/won't there be another body would worry me.

Not a lot of help, I know, but good luck with whatever path you choose.

Mario

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to Adam D Perler, Mar 17, 2013

Hey Adam,

I think you already have a few good options in your original post. one would think that buying into a DSLR system we would have to look for the system with the lenses we want.

Also, while it seems taboo to have a brand of choice it is perfectly natural for many reasons, and is shown in many purchasing decisions, so no need to feel it is inappropriate. I enjoy Olympus equipment, the 12-60, 50-200, 50mm macro and 35mm macro serve as a superb set of lenses, and it is difficult to find their equal in many APSC systems, the 50mm is small, light and fast (aperture) making it flexible for a lot of uses, the 35mm is a real gem and dirt cheap while the two zooms are simply as close to perfect for their pricepoint as one could hope for.

Now, my personal advice to you would be to pick up the Olympus lenses you like now, they can be had for very little along with an EPL5, I have one and it is great fun to shoot with, maybe with one or two m43rds lenses such as the 25mm f1.4 and the 40-150 for a small, flexible two lens setup and wait out for the next Olympus body.

On the front of "will Olympus continue to release bodies", I dont know about you, but my need for newer bodies diminishes with each year that passes, and the sensor in the OMD, if only improved upon marginally, will be a long term camera for me, and I imagine many others.

Having said all that, do what works best for you, and try to avoid any regret

Abraham

Here are some OMD samples (same as the EPL5):



-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

 alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to Adam D Perler, Mar 17, 2013

I am sorry about your loss.  That hurts.  On the other hand, the glass is half-full in this case where you have the opportunity to start over with a decent budget and a good bit of experience about what you like and don't like.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mapgraphs
Regular MemberPosts: 391Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to Adam D Perler, Mar 17, 2013

Adam D Perler wrote:

I have been a long time and proud Olympus owner. I stared with the e-330 and then graduated to an e-3 and then moved on to the e-5. I have loved my equipment. About 1 month ago, I had my camera bag stolen out of my car which included my e-5, 12-60, 50-200, and my ec-14. Thankfully my home owners insurance will help me replace my equipment. Had I not lost my kit, I planed on looking to see what the e-7 brings as an upgrade to the e-5, especially since I had already had a substantial investment in 4/3rds. Now I just have my fl50r flash and my 50mm macro lens left.

With that being said, I am trying to decide what to do. I don't think I want to get the e5 again at this point, as the e7 is just around the corner and should be a significant step forward. I was hoping for a hybrid camera that would allow me to take advantage of both lens lineups.

I have two young children so I am shooting action photos, portraits, occasional dance recitals, street candids, and local sports (cycling). I do some semi-professional stuff, but I mostly would say that I am an advanced enthusiast who occasionally does shoots and sells a gallery photo here and there.

I have about a 5k budget with my replacement money. I have thought about grabbing an epl5 as a small and cheap solution while I wait out to see whether or not the "pro-omd" will fit the bill this fall. This way I would be able to have two systems that share the same lenses.

The other option would be to grab the omd-em5 now and with the new lens rebate ($150 per lens), replace the 12-60 and 50-200 and then wait for the e-7 to come out. Then I will have a take along camera for family stuff (the em5) and the e-7 for any shoots I do.

The final option would be to sit tight and grab a high end point and shoot such as the lx7 ($300 currently) and then wait it out until the fall. I just want to make sure I don't miss out on any photo opportunities as my girls are growing between now and the Fall announcements.

I got advice from one pro who told me to grab the Lx7 and the Nikon d7100 as this set up will likely compete well with the newer Olympus models for a smaller price tag and would be every bit as versatile. (d7100 body only is $1100 versus the current price of the e-5 at $1699).

Any advice is welcome. I have gone back and forth with this and for some reason cannot think clearly. While I am excited about the new possibilities, I would have rather not been in this situation. But since I am, I would like to make the most of it.

What would you do given where we are with Olympus. I have not gotten into the doom and gloom, but perhaps that is because I was heavily invested with equipment. I have been a huge supporter over the past 10 years, but if I ever were to look at the current competitors, this would be the time. On the other hand, I am an artistic shooter and have always felt Olympus innovation enhanced my ability to use my equipment in a more artistic way... I guess it is the infamous oly colors.

Thanks,

Adam

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

One thought perhaps,

Depending on your immediate needs, you don't necessarily need to think "new". There are refurbished and used cameras available that could tide you over till you reach a decision point. Both for the Olympus route or another brand. I would probably find it hard to give up the Olympus jpg for another brands attempts to get it as right (for me).

At any rate,You can pick up a very usable refurbished or used e-pl1 for around $130, a used E1 for $190, a used E-M5 for $900 or a used E5 for $1,000. Some examples:

KEH Camera (Olympus bodies)

Refurbished:

Cameta Camera - Olympus Compact ILC

Cameta Camera - DSLR - Nikon and Olympus

And of course, there are many, many other options.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
faith_ps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101Gear list
Like?
Why not an EPM2 double kit or EPL5 double kit
In reply to Adam D Perler, Mar 18, 2013

You'd be surprised at the image quality of those two. Really...

Jakop

-- hide signature --

The saxophone is a very interesting machine, but I'm more interested in music.
Steve Lacy quotes

 faith_ps's gear list:faith_ps's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP3 Merrill Leica X Vario Olympus Stylus 1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jeepit
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to Adam D Perler, Mar 18, 2013

Adam D Perler wrote:

Roger Engelken wrote:

Adam D Perler wrote:

I have been a long time and proud Olympus owner. I stared with the e-330 and then graduated to an e-3 and then moved on to the e-5. I have loved my equipment. About 1 month ago, I had my camera bag stolen out of my car which included my e-5, 12-60, 50-200, and my ec-14. Thankfully my home owners insurance will help me replace my equipment. Had I not lost my kit, I planed on looking to see what the e-7 brings as an upgrade to the e-5, especially since I had already had a substantial investment in 4/3rds. Now I just have my fl50r flash and my 50mm macro lens left.

With that being said, I am trying to decide what to do. I don't think I want to get the e5 again at this point, as the e7 is just around the corner and should be a significant step forward. I was hoping for a hybrid camera that would allow me to take advantage of both lens lineups.

I have two young children so I am shooting action photos, portraits, occasional dance recitals, street candids, and local sports (cycling). I do some semi-professional stuff, but I mostly would say that I am an advanced enthusiast who occasionally does shoots and sells a gallery photo here and there.

I have about a 5k budget with my replacement money. I have thought about grabbing an epl5 as a small and cheap solution while I wait out to see whether or not the "pro-omd" will fit the bill this fall. This way I would be able to have two systems that share the same lenses.

The other option would be to grab the omd-em5 now and with the new lens rebate ($150 per lens), replace the 12-60 and 50-200 and then wait for the e-7 to come out. Then I will have a take along camera for family stuff (the em5) and the e-7 for any shoots I do.

The final option would be to sit tight and grab a high end point and shoot such as the lx7 ($300 currently) and then wait it out until the fall. I just want to make sure I don't miss out on any photo opportunities as my girls are growing between now and the Fall announcements.

I got advice from one pro who told me to grab the Lx7 and the Nikon d7100 as this set up will likely compete well with the newer Olympus models for a smaller price tag and would be every bit as versatile. (d7100 body only is $1100 versus the current price of the e-5 at $1699).

Any advice is welcome. I have gone back and forth with this and for some reason cannot think clearly. While I am excited about the new possibilities, I would have rather not been in this situation. But since I am, I would like to make the most of it.

What would you do given where we are with Olympus. I have not gotten into the doom and gloom, but perhaps that is because I was heavily invested with equipment. I have been a huge supporter over the past 10 years, but if I ever were to look at the current competitors, this would be the time. On the other hand, I am an artistic shooter and have always felt Olympus innovation enhanced my ability to use my equipment in a more artistic way... I guess it is the infamous oly colors.

Thanks,

Adam

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

The best advice I can give is to reach into your heart and soul and search for what excites you in photography, and how you wish to be challenged and rewarded. None of us knows what the future will bring with anything, let alone Olympus or another camera maker may or may not do. I know what works for me (well some of the time anyhow). I do not know what works for you. As your signature line says....when I do it...I understand it. And best of everything, whatever path you choose.

Roger.

Roger,

That is great insight. I know my old equipment best and very little about the u4/3rds line or the other camera makers. I believe I have a personal bias towards Olympus, but that is based on my past experiences only. I guess I should take my time and look at some of the other options out there and see if any of them speak to me in the way my old Olympus equipment did. I loved my e-5, but I do have to admit... it was a bit cumbersome at times for the more casual shoots. Like you said, I will just have to go and get some different cameras in my hand and see if they excite me at all. I was just hoping to see what other ideas members of this column had, especially since this is the forum that my photography started with 10 years ago.

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

Adam,

I'm in a similar situation in regards to the waiting and watching my 3yr old daughter grow.  I too shoot with the E330 and have the 12-60mm lens and enjoy both, but have been waiting for Olympus to do something with their dSLR side of the business.

I too keep my eye to 4/3 rumors every day to try to keep hope that the elusive E7 will come to fruition and it will be SHG/HG happy.  I'm also looking very seriously at the Sony A77(future78) just like future E7, to see what happens.  From what I read on alpha rumors Sony will have some type of announcement in June/July and Olympus following behind them in August with some announcement.  I am tired of waiting since 2008 to upgrade my E330, almost purchased the E5 but my gut told me to hold off and I'm glad I did.  I've waited 6yrs I can wait 5-6 months longer.  That's my suggestion to you, try to wait it out at least till August hoping Olympus will at a minimum inform the photography world if the next camera will be an E7 or hybrid 4/3///m4/3. If you look back at the Dpreview camera timeline you will notice the Olympus historically has most of the time come out with a new dSLR during the September-October.  This is why I believe that by sometime in August we all should be hearing something from Olympus concerning the next Ex camera.  If not, then for me, I'm heading straight for the Sony A77/78...by that time, 6 yrs is long enough to wait to upgrade from my E330.

On the the part about missing the moments of your kids growing I would put into perspective as in 5 months compared to 18 years.  I totally understand wanting to capture those precious moments as well.  If you can't wait the 5 months without shooting then If I were you I would roll the dice and purchase the OMD and use the saving to replace the 12-60 and 50-200mm.The OMD is an excellent little camera, but for me its to little/to small of a camera.  If it were bigger I would probably purchase it.

I personally stay away from the Nikon D7100 due to quality control problems is having at their manufacturing facility.  Just look at the issues with the D600 FF dust/oil spots and how poorly Nikon has handled it.

Good luck with your decisions.  Just offering my 2cents.

Rick

 Jeepit's gear list:Jeepit's gear list
Olympus E-330 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Adam D Perler
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to alatchin, Mar 18, 2013

alatchin wrote:

Hey Adam,

I think you already have a few good options in your original post. one would think that buying into a DSLR system we would have to look for the system with the lenses we want.

Also, while it seems taboo to have a brand of choice it is perfectly natural for many reasons, and is shown in many purchasing decisions, so no need to feel it is inappropriate. I enjoy Olympus equipment, the 12-60, 50-200, 50mm macro and 35mm macro serve as a superb set of lenses, and it is difficult to find their equal in many APSC systems, the 50mm is small, light and fast (aperture) making it flexible for a lot of uses, the 35mm is a real gem and dirt cheap while the two zooms are simply as close to perfect for their pricepoint as one could hope for.

Now, my personal advice to you would be to pick up the Olympus lenses you like now, they can be had for very little along with an EPL5, I have one and it is great fun to shoot with, maybe with one or two m43rds lenses such as the 25mm f1.4 and the 40-150 for a small, flexible two lens setup and wait out for the next Olympus body.

On the front of "will Olympus continue to release bodies", I dont know about you, but my need for newer bodies diminishes with each year that passes, and the sensor in the OMD, if only improved upon marginally, will be a long term camera for me, and I imagine many others.

Having said all that, do what works best for you, and try to avoid any regret

Abraham

Here are some OMD samples (same as the EPL5):



-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

Abraham,

These are stunning images and demonstrate the range of photography that I wanting out of my equipment.  I take it that you have had the e-5 and the OMD... which do you prefer at this point? It looks like you are getting stellar images with your OMD.  Also, I am intrigued by the epl5.  I am aware that it has similar IQ output as the OMD, but I am wondering when you favor one versus the other since you have both.  The ELP5 seemed a bit too small when I held it at a local shop, but then again my main experience was with a much heavier system.  Do you tend to favor one over the other?  Also, what lens setup do  you have for the u4/3rds?  I really like your 2nd and 4th images and am intrigued by the last 3 shots as well.  This shows a very broad range of techniques and would likely cover the type of things I like to shoot.

I really appreciate your feedback.

-Adam

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

 Adam D Perler's gear list:Adam D Perler's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Adam D Perler
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to mariomirabile, Mar 18, 2013

mariomirabile wrote:

Every time I load up a bag with my E5/12-60/50-200/7-14/EC-14/FL50R (God forbid I should add the bigma....) I begin to wonder just how hard it would be to switch to a nice compact and light setup of an OMD with a nice light collection of primes.

Don't get me wrong, I love my four thirds gear - especially the glass - and will likely eventually commit to whatever the next body is. However, if I was in your position now, I would seriously look at a lighter and more compact option. If you want to stay in the Oly camp, get enough camera to tide you over till the next announcement. There are some seriously good deals on second and third gen pens at the moment which wouldn't take much of a bite out of your capital and are more than good enough as a stop-gap solution. I also hear great things about the higher end Sony NEX cameras (have a look at Kirk Tuck's blog). The one area where the mirrorless camp still lags is in continuous autofocus, so beware if that's important to you.

If you want to say with a DSLR, Then the HG glass is an excellent reason to stay with Olympus, but the constant speculation of will there/won't there be another body would worry me.

Not a lot of help, I know, but good luck with whatever path you choose.

Mario

Mario,

I had been feeling the same way at times.  While I really loved what I had, now that I need to start over I am thinking of a lighter setup.  I knew what the 4/3rds was capable of in my hands, but have been really intrigued by the u4/3rds options ever since the OMD/EPL5 series and sensors were released.  I would have eventually added a u4/3 option to my kit at some point.  I wouldn't even know where to start with a whole new system... although I have heard good things as well about the Sony NEX cameras.  I will check out Kirks blog as suggested.  I think I will also kick the tires on the Nikon d7100, but you are right... Oly's HG quality glass is hard to replace at a similar price.

Ultimately, I feel that I will stay in the Oly camp since I have never felt like I was missing out elsewhere.  While their sensors have always lagged somewhat, the glass, the innovation, and unique features have always drawn me to Oly since they fit my style of shooting.  I have always been frustrated that they almost have no presence in our local stores.  I think the OMD has opened a lot of peoples eyes to Oly, though.  I suppose that is why I have been at somewhat of a stand still.  I guess I am not alone in this as Olympus's path going forward is still unclear as they work towards a merger between the two systems in the years to come.  I think they have stated this many times and that the current camera economy will eventually demand it.  If I knew the OMD could cover 95% of what I like to shoot then I would take the plunge.  The lens that holds me back is the 50-200.  I LOVED that lens and switch in an instant if I knew it could perform similarly on a u4/3 body.

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

 Adam D Perler's gear list:Adam D Perler's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Adam D Perler
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to Craig from Nevada, Mar 18, 2013

Craig from Nevada wrote:

I am sorry about your loss. That hurts. On the other hand, the glass is half-full in this case where you have the opportunity to start over with a decent budget and a good bit of experience about what you like and don't like.

Very true Craig. The kit build up over time was very comfortable and natural. It is a bit overwhelming to make these purchases all at once, as I usually try to take my time researching which component to add one at a time. I was hoping to come up with a sound strategy that will allow me to have something for now... but will let me rebuild my system without any regrets. If I had not lost my equipment, I would have waited until the next series of the OMD and e-7 were announced in order to make a decision about my future needs and was ready to convert once I felt the micro 4/3rds was mature enough to cover what I was able to produce with the e-5 and 12-60 and 50-200 combo in a smaller package.

That is why I was thinking of an EPL5 with a couple of lenses to tide me over... and then either go back into the the 4/3rds if the e-7 lives up to its hype... or make a full conversion over to the micro 4/3rds with a pro level OMD. I

I usually can make decisions easily based on what is available and have no regrets about the fact that there is always something new and shinny around the corner... which is why I am surprised that I am struggling a bit with what direction I should head in as I replace my kit.

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

 Adam D Perler's gear list:Adam D Perler's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Adam D Perler
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to mapgraphs, Mar 18, 2013

mapgraphs wrote:

Adam D Perler wrote:

I have been a long time and proud Olympus owner. I stared with the e-330 and then graduated to an e-3 and then moved on to the e-5. I have loved my equipment. About 1 month ago, I had my camera bag stolen out of my car which included my e-5, 12-60, 50-200, and my ec-14. Thankfully my home owners insurance will help me replace my equipment. Had I not lost my kit, I planed on looking to see what the e-7 brings as an upgrade to the e-5, especially since I had already had a substantial investment in 4/3rds. Now I just have my fl50r flash and my 50mm macro lens left.

With that being said, I am trying to decide what to do. I don't think I want to get the e5 again at this point, as the e7 is just around the corner and should be a significant step forward. I was hoping for a hybrid camera that would allow me to take advantage of both lens lineups.

I have two young children so I am shooting action photos, portraits, occasional dance recitals, street candids, and local sports (cycling). I do some semi-professional stuff, but I mostly would say that I am an advanced enthusiast who occasionally does shoots and sells a gallery photo here and there.

I have about a 5k budget with my replacement money. I have thought about grabbing an epl5 as a small and cheap solution while I wait out to see whether or not the "pro-omd" will fit the bill this fall. This way I would be able to have two systems that share the same lenses.

The other option would be to grab the omd-em5 now and with the new lens rebate ($150 per lens), replace the 12-60 and 50-200 and then wait for the e-7 to come out. Then I will have a take along camera for family stuff (the em5) and the e-7 for any shoots I do.

The final option would be to sit tight and grab a high end point and shoot such as the lx7 ($300 currently) and then wait it out until the fall. I just want to make sure I don't miss out on any photo opportunities as my girls are growing between now and the Fall announcements.

I got advice from one pro who told me to grab the Lx7 and the Nikon d7100 as this set up will likely compete well with the newer Olympus models for a smaller price tag and would be every bit as versatile. (d7100 body only is $1100 versus the current price of the e-5 at $1699).

Any advice is welcome. I have gone back and forth with this and for some reason cannot think clearly. While I am excited about the new possibilities, I would have rather not been in this situation. But since I am, I would like to make the most of it.

What would you do given where we are with Olympus. I have not gotten into the doom and gloom, but perhaps that is because I was heavily invested with equipment. I have been a huge supporter over the past 10 years, but if I ever were to look at the current competitors, this would be the time. On the other hand, I am an artistic shooter and have always felt Olympus innovation enhanced my ability to use my equipment in a more artistic way... I guess it is the infamous oly colors.

Thanks,

Adam

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

One thought perhaps,

Depending on your immediate needs, you don't necessarily need to think "new". There are refurbished and used cameras available that could tide you over till you reach a decision point. Both for the Olympus route or another brand. I would probably find it hard to give up the Olympus jpg for another brands attempts to get it as right (for me).

At any rate,You can pick up a very usable refurbished or used e-pl1 for around $130, a used E1 for $190, a used E-M5 for $900 or a used E5 for $1,000. Some examples:

KEH Camera (Olympus bodies)

Refurbished:

Cameta Camera - Olympus Compact ILC

Cameta Camera - DSLR - Nikon and Olympus

And of course, there are many, many other options.

I actually forgot about Cameta.... I have heard that they have good deals.  Have you had any experience with them?  That would be a possible route to replace my HG glass if I go back towards the 4/3rd lineup.

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

 Adam D Perler's gear list:Adam D Perler's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mapgraphs
Regular MemberPosts: 391Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to Adam D Perler, Mar 18, 2013

Adam D Perler wrote:

mapgraphs wrote:

One thought perhaps,

Depending on your immediate needs, you don't necessarily need to think "new". There are refurbished and used cameras available that could tide you over till you reach a decision point. Both for the Olympus route or another brand. I would probably find it hard to give up the Olympus jpg for another brands attempts to get it as right (for me).

At any rate,You can pick up a very usable refurbished or used e-pl1 for around $130, a used E1 for $190, a used E-M5 for $900 or a used E5 for $1,000. Some examples:

KEH Camera (Olympus bodies)

Refurbished:

Cameta Camera - Olympus Compact ILC

Cameta Camera - DSLR - Nikon and Olympus

And of course, there are many, many other options.

I actually forgot about Cameta.... I have heard that they have good deals. Have you had any experience with them? That would be a possible route to replace my HG glass if I go back towards the 4/3rd lineup.

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

Yes, I've gotten cameras and SHG glass at Cameta. I've done the same at KEH. If you search the forums for "Cameta Camera" you should find a good body of opinion about them. I haven't had any problems with either Cameta or KEH. I've put together several kits through both retailers. My short wish list has an E1 from KEH.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to Adam D Perler, Mar 18, 2013

Adam D Perler wrote:

Craig from Nevada wrote:

I am sorry about your loss. That hurts. On the other hand, the glass is half-full in this case where you have the opportunity to start over with a decent budget and a good bit of experience about what you like and don't like.

Very true Craig. The kit build up over time was very comfortable and natural. It is a bit overwhelming to make these purchases all at once, as I usually try to take my time researching which component to add one at a time. I was hoping to come up with a sound strategy that will allow me to have something for now... but will let me rebuild my system without any regrets. If I had not lost my equipment, I would have waited until the next series of the OMD and e-7 were announced in order to make a decision about my future needs and was ready to convert once I felt the micro 4/3rds was mature enough to cover what I was able to produce with the e-5 and 12-60 and 50-200 combo in a smaller package.

That is why I was thinking of an EPL5 with a couple of lenses to tide me over... and then either go back into the the 4/3rds if the e-7 lives up to its hype... or make a full conversion over to the micro 4/3rds with a pro level OMD. I

I usually can make decisions easily based on what is available and have no regrets about the fact that there is always something new and shinny around the corner... which is why I am surprised that I am struggling a bit with what direction I should head in as I replace my kit.

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it. When I read it... I learn it. When I do it... I understand.

The idea of the E-PL5 makes sense for you whether your gear was taken or not.  I have an E-PL2 and a couple of lenses.   It is a nice little camera to have around and to take on business trips.   I can see the value of such a set up with a young family (a gear intensive activity even without the camera).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Timmylee
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to alatchin, Mar 22, 2013

I'm in a place similar to you. . . Wondering which way I'll go. . . Looked at jumping and leaving Olympus, staying and hoping that upgrades in equipment comes through. (some have) Just adding another format anyways to meat my needs. . . . .

I have two systems right at the moment. Standard 4/3's and M4/3's. I know that I'll be keeping the M4/3's. My EPL1 is with me almost all of the time. . . A body and 4 lenses that cover 95% of my needs. . . And the kit is small & light. . . . Can't beat that. . . . My standard 4/3's gear is what I wonder about. . . .

What I would do at this time and in your shoes is pick up a EP3 or a EPL5, preferably a two lens kit, with and EVF and start there. You're not putting out a ton of money and it's a nice place to start. . . .

That would give you an almost OMD cheaply. . . . . .

-- hide signature --

Tim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Adam D Perler
Regular MemberPosts: 178Gear list
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to Timmylee, Mar 23, 2013

I appreciate everyone's advice.  I am wavering between getting the EPL5 or XZ-2 /10 to hold the fort for now.  The main thing is that I have decided to stay the course with Olympus, regardless and will likely use either the xz series or EPL5 as many have suggested here while I wait to see what tricks Olympus has up its sleeve.  By chance, does anyone here have both the EPL5 and one of the xz series?  If so, which do you typically favor?  Both seem like excellent options to cover a lot of the family shots over the next several months and I could still use my fl50r flash unit that was fortunately not in my bag when it was stolen.

I wrote to Robin Wong, (I love his work and greatly value his opinion from and Olympus point of view) for his advice as well and he replied that given my situation, he'd likely favor the xz2 as a here and now option while I wait for the Fall announcements.  Also, I did check on Olympus's site and the E-5 has been out of stock for a few weeks now and it doesn't suggest when it might be available again which I hope is a good sign that the announcements are not too far off.

I miss my e-5 for sure, but at the same time it looks like my alternative options are just around the corner.  Thanks again for all of your advice.

-Adam

-- hide signature --

When I see it... I remember it.
When I read it... I learn it.
When I do it... I understand.

 Adam D Perler's gear list:Adam D Perler's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Terry Newlin
Regular MemberPosts: 290
Like?
Re: Need advice...
In reply to Adam D Perler, Mar 23, 2013

I was an Oly shooter religously for 11 or 12 years, starting with the E10. I have two SG lenses and almost all of the HG stuff. Yes I can still get the same great images from them I always did but the less than ideal light shooting was always a hamper. Wanting to do some dark sky stuff, I tried with the E3 and 11-22. Just too much noise to make this setup useful. I picked up a used 40D and coupled it with the EF-S 10-20. All I can say is wow. Not just in the dark of night, this combo works everywhere.  Just think of any time in the past that you couldn't shoot something you were really wanting to get due to the limitations in equipment.  There are options out there that will do what you would like to do.

I know everybody and their dog is going to jump on me for this. 
Personally, if someone were to lift my camera bag I'm ready to move on. Just hope they grab the right bag. haha

-- hide signature --

E-20N, E-520, 14-42, 50-200ED, 70-300, E1(2), 14-54, 35 macro, E3, 50mm macro, 11-22
Canon 40D, Canon EF-S 10-22 USM
http://kairoscapturedphoto.zenfolio.com/
www.pbase.com/terry/root

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads