Is DXO Right - D800 only 2-3 mp more than D600

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions
Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 5,101
Like?
Re: Is DXO Right - D800 only 2-3 mp more than D600
In reply to David Smith - Photographer, Jun 11, 2013

David Smith - Photographer wrote:

"And the D800 shows the shortcomings of the lens even more". Come on man, shortcomings, are you serious? Have you ever actualy photographed with this lens? The results are only disappointing or showing shortcomings to hardcore pixel peepers. If you need huge pixel perfect prints, buy a medium format camera.

Yes, I'm serious, and yes this is about "hardcore pixel peepers," so maybe you dropping into the conversation and ripping something I wrote out of its context fits your critique of that, but I believe it's useful to understand the entire context of what I wrote before bashing me for writing it:

"It's a matter of diminishing returns. DxO's rating of this lens suggests that it resolves all 12 MP from a D700, so the lens resolves more than the D700 can reveal, but it comes up short of everything that the D3x can reveal, and the D800 shows the shortcomings of the lens even more."

Every lens has some shortcomings, and even medium format systems have shortcomings if you look for them. Are you saying the lens in question has no shortcomings at all? Are you saying that it resolves more than the D800 can show? If you are not saying those things then you shouldn't have an issue with what I wrote.

BTW, did you read this post that I wrote in this same thread?  If you didn't then you should have before going off about what I've written here.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,552Gear list
Like?
The IQ of the D600 is really nice right?
In reply to A Owens, Jun 12, 2013

Add 2 MPs to that. That's actually a lot of additional resolution when you take into account that the D600's resolution is reduced also. (I'm taking it on faith that you are reporting the corrct number.)

Plus, you get a better camera operationally with the D800.

A Owens wrote:

If we take the Nikons best lens (85/F1.4), DXO reckons that the D800 will only give 3 more MP than the D3x, possibly only 2 MP gap than the D600 which reportedly has a very light AA filter. No numbers for the 800e.

Can this be right? If so what is the constraint? Why are the extra MP not counting for much?

We need the techies on this one!
--
Alistair Owens
http://www.alistairowensphotography.com

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Is DXO Right - D800 only 2-3 mp more than D600

A Owens wrote:

If we take the Nikons best lens (85/F1.4), DXO reckons that the D800 will only give 3 more MP than the D3x, possibly only 2 MP gap than the D600 which reportedly has a very light AA filter. No numbers for the 800e.

Can this be right? If so what is the constraint? Why are the extra MP not counting for much?

--
Alistair Owens

Funny...put up a rez chart and all DxO's nonsense is thrown out the window.  Stop reading dxo's junk.  It's a waste of time.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,323Gear list
Like?
Either DXOs methodology (sharpening) or the D800's AA filter

A Owens wrote:

--
Alistair Owens

Look at the figures for the D800E (21MP) vs D600 (15MP) and D800 (15MP).

Either this is because the D800E resolves that much more or because there is something about the way DXO calculates these (maybe sharpening or something). Since I have a D800E, I'm happy either way

There are only figures for three lenses with the D800E on DXO. Sometime ago they briefly had figures for some other lenses (the 70-200/4 VR) which were much higher than the D800 but they pulled it.

The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Either DXOs methodology (sharpening) or the D800's AA filter
In reply to inasir1971, Jun 12, 2013

inasir1971 wrote:

A Owens wrote:

--
Alistair Owens

Look at the figures for the D800E (21MP) vs D600 (15MP) and D800 (15MP).

Either this is because the D800E resolves that much more or because there is something about the way DXO calculates these (maybe sharpening or something). Since I have a D800E, I'm happy either way

There are only figures for three lenses with the D800E on DXO. Sometime ago they briefly had figures for some other lenses (the 70-200/4 VR) which were much higher than the D800 but they pulled it.

Probably because their tests are meaningless nonsense.  Pull out a standard rez chart and you'll see exactly how meaningless their tests are.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads