Asking for Purchase Advice – New Lens

Started Mar 17, 2013 | Discussions
chimpsky
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Asking for Purchase Advice – New Lens
Mar 17, 2013

Hi there,

I want to purchase a wide angle lens and I’m looking for some advice.

I’m somewhat of a beginner but I don’t want to make a cheap purchase that I’m going to quickly outgrow. I purchased my first DSLR, a Rebel T4i, almost a year ago. I’m happy with the camera but I expect to upgrade in the future so I want to avoid an EF-S lens.

The first purchase I made after the camera was a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 and I am very happy with the lens. Now I’m looking to add a second lens.  At first I wasn’t certain if I would get more use out of a telephoto zoom or a wide angle zoom, but given some consideration I think I would have more use for a wide angle lens.

I’ve budgeted about $1,000 for the purchase. I’m looking for a lens that will work for landscape photography and hopefully be versatile enough for some interesting portraits. My first consideration was the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM, but I’m reading some reports that the lens isn’t very sharp.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Graham Meale
Contributing MemberPosts: 884Gear list
Like?
Re: Asking for Purchase Advice – New Lens
In reply to chimpsky, Mar 17, 2013

How wide do you want to go? The widest full-frame zoom you can get is the Sigma 12-24. It's not outstandingly sharp, but I'm happy with mine ...

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ARShutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,116Gear list
Like?
Stop reading those reports

To get a "very sharp" ultra-wide lens, you'll need to look at Zeiss, such as the CZ 21 lens.

If you keep reading "reports" about lenses, you'll never buy anything.  Read this instead:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-17-40mm-f-4.0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

The 17-40 isn't sharp around the corners, but it's quite usable.  Do you want photographs, or bragging about how sharp your corners are?

happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 3,860Gear list
Like?

I would suggest you buy for the camera you have now, not the one you might have in a couple years time. I would suggest the 15-85IS USM. Yes, it's not a FF lens, but one of the best walkaround lenses you can buy.It's well made, sharp, & the focusing is rapid & whisper quiet. The focal range is very good for most walkabout uses. If tou do go FF you could easily sell the lens, either with the T4i or on its own. Just a suggestion.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
trekkeruss
Senior MemberPosts: 3,406
Like?
In reply to happysnapper64, Mar 17, 2013

Another suggestion is to move to full frame right now. If you're willing to spend $1,000 on a lens, you could sell the camera you have now while it is still virtually new and get say, a factory refurbished 5D MK II. Canon is selling the body for just $1495.

Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,450Gear list
Like?

chimpsky wrote:

Hi there,

I’m somewhat of a beginner but I don’t want to make a cheap purchase that I’m going to quickly outgrow. I purchased my first DSLR, a Rebel T4i, almost a year ago. I’m happy with the camera but I expect to upgrade in the future so I want to avoid an EF-S lens.

Full frame is somewhat incompatible with wanting a wide angle lens on a crop sensor camera. The T4i typically comes with an 18-135, so you'll really want something that goes down to 12mm if you want an improvement.

The first purchase I made after the camera was a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 and I am very happy with the lens. Now I’m looking to add a second lens. At first I wasn’t certain if I would get more use out of a telephoto zoom or a wide angle zoom, but given some consideration I think I would have more use for a wide angle lens.

I’ve budgeted about $1,000 for the purchase. I’m looking for a lens that will work for landscape photography and hopefully be versatile enough for some interesting portraits. My first consideration was the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM, but I’m reading some reports that the lens isn’t very sharp.

You've already got 18mm. What will a 17-40 do for you? If you want wide angle on your T4i, get a Canon 10-22. Problem solved. If you're pining for a full frame camera, get a full frame camera.

I wouldn't use the 10-22 for portraits but you've got a 50mm f/1.4, which is certainly a decent portrait lens on a crop sensor.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Enthusiast Photographer
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
In reply to chimpsky, Mar 18, 2013

I'm pretty happy with my Tokina 11-16 f/2.8.  It is VERY wide and a really nice lens overall.

Enthusiast Photographer's gear list:Enthusiast Photographer's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,429Gear list
Like?
In reply to Enthusiast Photographer, Mar 18, 2013

Enthusiast Photographer wrote:

I'm pretty happy with my Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. It is VERY wide and a really nice lens overall.

It's not an EF lens. It's a crop lens.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +23 more
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 10,984
Like?

The 17-40 mm just isn’t that wide on a crop sensor body, barely discernable for the 18-55 mm kit lens. If you want a wide angle for FF, then I think you would be better waiting until you have FF, the 17-40 mm isn’t going to do much for you now.

Brian A

Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,450Gear list
Like?
Right
In reply to Guidenet, Mar 18, 2013

Guidenet wrote:

I'm pretty happy with my Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. It is VERY wide and a really nice lens overall.

But the O.P. has a crop-sensor camera and wants wide angle. EF ain't gonna do it, other than something like the Sigma 12-24. The Tokina 11-16 or Canon 10-22 will deliver better results on the camera he has now.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Guidenet
Like?
In reply to Graham Meale, Mar 18, 2013

Graham Meale wrote:

How wide do you want to go? The widest full-frame zoom you can get is the Sigma 12-24. It's not outstandingly sharp, but I'm happy with mine ...

Moreover, Sigma has released the newer version of this lens, called the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 II. It has one SLD and four of the new FLD low dispersion elements. It also includes aspherical elements. It should be a very sharp, well corrected lens by all accounts.

I was always happy with the old model like you have, but this new MKII model should really perform nicely. I'll probably purchase one for my Nikon FX bodies. It also looks to have a really nice build and is supposedly weather sealed all around.

Here's a link to the Canon version at Adorama.

http://www.adorama.com/SG12242EOS.html

I think it's a great choice for a crop camera now if you intend to go full frame later.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +23 more
Guidenet
Like?
Re: Right
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Mar 18, 2013

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Guidenet wrote:

But the O.P. has a crop-sensor camera and wants wide angle. EF ain't gonna do it, other than something like the Sigma 12-24. The Tokina 11-16 or Canon 10-22 will deliver better results on the camera he has now.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

In another thread, I meantion the new MKII version of the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 II DG HSM. It is supposedly very sharp and well corrected. 12-24 is plenty wide on a crop camera and even moreso on a full frame.

The specs on this new lens are pretty darn impressive and the build looks quite nice.

http://www.adorama.com/SG12242EOS.html

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/12-24mm-f45-56-dg-hsm-ii

Take care.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Graham Meale
Like?

Guidenet wrote:

Moreover, Sigma has released the newer version of this lens, called the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 II. It has one SLD and four of the new FLD low dispersion elements. It also includes aspherical elements. It should be a very sharp, well corrected lens by all accounts.

This is the one I have. It is quite sharp and I am glad I bought it, but it's not as sharp as some of my other lenses, such as the outstanding 70-300L.

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Guidenet
Like?
In reply to Graham Meale, Mar 18, 2013

Graham Meale wrote:

Guidenet wrote:

This is the one I have. It is quite sharp and I am glad I bought it, but it's not as sharp as some of my other lenses, such as the outstanding 70-300L.

Well, that's to be expected. You're talking about the widest zoom made for full frame cameras against an L lens is a not so extreme focal range. Still, I'm glad you like it. I'm considering it for myself. I love how wide it can go. Thanks for telling me.  

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,483
Like?

chimpsky wrote:

Hi there,

The first purchase I made after the camera was a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 and I am very happy with the lens. Now I’m looking to add a second lens. At first I wasn’t certain if I would get more use out of a telephoto zoom or a wide angle zoom, but given some consideration I think I would have more use for a wide angle lens.

Thanks!

if you already have the 18-135 or 18-55 don't get the 17-40.  Avoiding EF-S lens will not get you the best wide angle on a crop (Canon 10-22) but there are non-Canon lens that are OK, eg. Sigma 12-24

Enthusiast Photographer
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?

Guidenet wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Oops - sorry!  I don't speak fluent Canon

Honestly, if Canon full-frame wide glass is as expensive as Nikon's, I'd get the crop lens and worry about EF wide glass when you have a full-frame camera.  Glass tends to hold value very well.

Enthusiast Photographer's gear list:Enthusiast Photographer's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Graham Meale
Like?

Guidenet wrote:

I'm considering it for myself. I love how wide it can go. Thanks for telling me.

You can find lots of great shots at 12 mm in my book "From Bohemia to the Balkans" that you can browse through my website.

-- hide signature --
Guidenet
Like?
In reply to Graham Meale, Mar 19, 2013

Graham Meale wrote:

Guidenet wrote:

I'm considering it for myself. I love how wide it can go. Thanks for telling me.

You can find lots of great shots at 12 mm in my book "From Bohemia to the Balkans" that you can browse through my website.

-- hide signature --

Wow, I appreciate it. I'll take a good look. Thanks again.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads