Displaying pdf files on Safari 5.1.7

Started Mar 16, 2013 | Questions
Drogba88
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
Displaying pdf files on Safari 5.1.7
Mar 16, 2013

Maybe someone on this forum knows the answer to this question.  I am using v.5.1.7 of Safari which will not display a pdf file.    All I get is a black page.   Have checked preferences but no reference there to pdf files.   I am using OS Snow Leopard 10.6.8.   Any help would be much appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Giraffe

Drogba88's gear list:Drogba88's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +7 more
ANSWER:
seeblue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,164
Like?
Re: Displaying pdf files on Safari 5.1.7
In reply to Drogba88, Mar 16, 2013

Check: "Safari > Preferences > Security > Enable plug-ins > check-mark"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,336
Like?
In reply to seeblue, Mar 16, 2013

Another place to check might be Safari > Preferences > General… > Open "safe" files after downloading ("Safe" files include movies, pictures, sounds, PDF and text documents, and archives).

I believe it is recommended to leave this turned off.

W Pontius
Regular MemberPosts: 179
Like?
In reply to Drogba88, Mar 16, 2013

I had this same problem AFTER I clicked "print" and the page would be entirely !  I finally determined that if I would scroll to the bottom of the page (only a line or two was needed) the pdf instructions for "print" would become visible !  The "black page" went away !  Try this - hopefully it will work.

-- hide signature --

W.Pontius

Drogba88
Like?
In reply to seeblue, Mar 16, 2013

"Enable plug-ins" is ticked.    Must be something else.

-- hide signature --

Giraffe

Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +7 more
Drogba88
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, Mar 16, 2013

Nope, it's not that.     Frustrating.    Maybe I've just got a bad copy and will have to reinstall.    But thanks anyway.    --

Giraffe

Drogba88
Like?
In reply to W Pontius, Mar 16, 2013

Yes, I noticed that instruction in Safari Help, but there are no buttons at the bottom of the page that I could find.      The mystery deepens!

-- hide signature --

Giraffe

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,554
Like?
In reply to Drogba88, Mar 17, 2013

Peter Parsons wrote:

Maybe someone on this forum knows the answer to this question. I am using v.5.1.7 of Safari which will not display a pdf file. All I get is a black page. Have checked preferences but no reference there to pdf files. I am using OS Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Any help would be much appreciated.

Most likely something with the pdf browser plugins is screwed up (eg, the version of Safari and the version of the plugin are not compatible). Just go to /Library/Internet Plug-ins (and to ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins) and delete everything with pdf in the name (if you want to be safe, copy them to somewhere else first). Restart Safari and things should work again.

This works because Safari can display pdfs without the help of a plugin (but Firefox, at least for a very long time, needed one). Thus just chucking out the not properly working pdf plugins thus allows Safari to display the pdfs and not handing them over to a non-functioning plugin.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Drogba88
Like?
In reply to noirdesir, Mar 18, 2013

Thankyou Noirdesir.     You were absolutely spot on!     I found two Adobe plugins in the Library - Adobe PDF Viewer plugin and Adobe PDF Viewer NPAPI plugin.    I chucked both of them out, restarted Safari, went to a web site and downloaded a pdf, and abracadbra, everything worked perfectly.   I also use Firefox as a second browser, and sometimes it installs plugins automatically.    That could have caused the problem on Safari.

Anyway, my grateful thanks for your help.

-- hide signature --

Giraffe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads