Should I got a Olympus TG-2 or Pentax WG-3?

Started Mar 16, 2013 | Discussions
Jefftan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?
Should I got a Olympus TG-2 or Pentax WG-3?
Mar 16, 2013

Any advice? Is there anyone having TG-1 and WG-2?

This year they both have F2 lens.  I don't know which one should I buy

Any comment or advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks a lot

I also have to buy before April 10 for a holiday.  Hope WG-3 is available by that time

Pentax Optio WG-2 Pentax WG-3 GPS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,365Gear list
Like?
Re: Should I got a Olympus TG-2 or Pentax WG-3?
In reply to Jefftan, Mar 16, 2013

If you don't need the GPS version, the WG-3 black is available now. Here is the listing on B&H's website. Orange one is due March 22nd. The GPS models are due out o/a April 5th.

Jefftan wrote:

I also have to buy before April 10 for a holiday. Hope WG-3 is available by that time
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jefftan
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Mar 16, 2013

John McCormack wrote:

If you don't need the GPS version, the WG-3 black is available now. Here is the listing on B&H's website. Orange one is due March 22nd. The GPS models are due out o/a April 5th.

Jefftan wrote:

I also have to buy before April 10 for a holiday. Hope WG-3 is available by that time

Thanks but I want the Qi charging.  To my knowledge this is the first camera that got this feature

ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,714Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jefftan, Mar 16, 2013

Pardon my ignorance Jeff but what is Qi charging?

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,365Gear list
Like?
Qi Charging Re: Should I got a Olympus TG-2 or Pentax WG-3?
In reply to ozdean, Mar 16, 2013

Qi charging is a wireless charging system . You just place the camera down a flat mat charging station and it charges the camera. Google is your friend...

ozdean wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jefftan
Like?
Re: Qi Charging Re: Should I got a Olympus TG-2 or Pentax WG-3?
In reply to John McCormack, Mar 17, 2013

John McCormack wrote:

Qi charging is a wireless charging system . You just place the camera down a flat mat charging station and it charges the camera. Google is your friend...

ozdean wrote:

-- hide signature --

Yes exactly

not only it is really cool but is really useful for a waterproof camera. You don't need to open the battery

door lock so less chance water get into it

Jefftan
Like?
In reply to Jefftan, Mar 17, 2013

Unfortunately still no one comment on whether Olympus or Pentax offering is better.  I am leaning towards Pentax WG-3 now for the Qi charging and also the supposedly lower noise reduction (NR)

Olympus P&S has a bad rep for excessive NR

cutie07
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?

One more tip, if you use a Wifi SD card besides the qi-charging with the WG-3 you really do not need to open the camera anymore.

No one can comment about the pic quality right now. But there are a few reviews out about the WG-2 (look at http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/pentax_optio_wg2_review/and http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-wg2/pentax-wg2A.HTM ).

If you compare the pics at Imaging Resource with samples from the TG 1 you will get impressions from both brands.

I like the WG-2 pics more than the TG-1/2 results. For real world samples look here (full size):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonicep/6993151788/in/photostream/

I am pretty sure that the WG-3 will match (or maybe top?) the WG-2 results.

BrianC
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,256
Like?

I am looking into the WG-3 because of the fast lens and it's 25mm compared to most at 28 or more. I will use it for kayak fishing photos and the extra wide angle will help.

I had the black one in my cart on Amazon but decided to wait for the orange to be available.

-- hide signature --

Brian

Knum
Contributing MemberPosts: 510
Like?
In reply to Jefftan, Mar 18, 2013

I'm in the same boat as you, though I'm leaning towards the WG-3 because of the terrible NR of the TG-2. Full size photos from the TG-2 look absolutely appalling even at 100 iso.

BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,125Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jefftan, Mar 20, 2013

Any advice? Is there anyone having TG-1 and WG-2?

This year they both have F2 lens. I don't know which one should I buy

Any comment or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot

Based on my experience with TG-1, if you're at all planning to shoot video, look very carefully at TG-2 reviews before buying.  In many (but not all) TG-1's, autofocus rapidly hunts during video, causing image problems and a loud click-click-clicking noise.

On the other hand, the TG-2 has an "A" mode, which is a huge plus in this type of camera.

Also, there are things that Pentax may not have done right.  TG-1's AF in stills is very fast, even in low light.  Don't know about WG-3's low light AF.  Optical stabilization - WG-3 is the first optically stabilized toughcam that Pentax made, so it's more likely to have issues (like any first version of anything).

Finally, I hear what you're saying about wireless charging.  It can be an advantage with a tough cam on a tropical vacation, when opening a camera means letting in moist air, which can lead to condensation when it goes into the cool water.

On the other hand, I haven't had condensation issues with the TG-1. (I haven't gone to any tropical vacations, but I took it skiing - no problems).  I bought (for something like $12 shipped) two clone batteries with a wall charger (that works for the original battery too), and just rotate the three.

Hope this helps!

Boris

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
Jefftan
Like?
In reply to BorisK1, Mar 23, 2013

BorisK1 wrote:

Also, there are things that Pentax may not have done right. TG-1's AF in stills is very fast, even in low light. Don't know about WG-3's low light AF. Optical stabilization - WG-3 is the first optically stabilized toughcam that Pentax made, so it's more likely to have issues (like any first version of anything).

Hope this helps!

Boris

What you said above is very good.  TG-1/2 very fast AF is a big plus.  Also first generation optical stabilization can't be trust

my opinion change now from original post.  My pick now is TG-2

May I ask what do you think about the NR of TG-1?  Is it really that bad as some suggest? smear detail like grass and trees?

I don't believe it is that bad but not sure.  I still have a few days to make my final decision

Thanks

BorisK1
Like?
In reply to Jefftan, Mar 25, 2013

Jefftan wrote:

BorisK1 wrote:

Also, there are things that Pentax may not have done right. TG-1's AF in stills is very fast, even in low light. Don't know about WG-3's low light AF. Optical stabilization - WG-3 is the first optically stabilized toughcam that Pentax made, so it's more likely to have issues (like any first version of anything).

Hope this helps!

Boris

What you said above is very good. TG-1/2 very fast AF is a big plus. Also first generation optical stabilization can't be trust

my opinion change now from original post. My pick now is TG-2

May I ask what do you think about the NR of TG-1? Is it really that bad as some suggest? smear detail like grass and trees?

I don't believe it is that bad but not sure. I still have a few days to make my final decision

Thanks

Well, everyone's tolerance and expectations are different.  It's not a problem for my needs, but may not be for you.

Amusingly, nobody has a problem with TG-1's NR at or above, ISO 400 or so.  It's at ISO 100 where we get the difference of opinions.

At ISO 100, sometimes people see smeared foliage.  Mind you, it's primarely foliage and grass, not things like architecture or texture or faces.

My advice - look at the images and see for yourself.  (For some weird reason pbase search doesn't include TG-1, though there are TG-1 shots on pbase, but there are plenty of images on the 'net, just search).

Hope this helps!

Boris

Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
BorisK1
Like?
In reply to Jefftan, Mar 25, 2013

One more thought: If you're buying the camera to record a specific occasion, don't leave the purchase till the last day.
Make sure to give yourself at least a week of lead time. It takes time to learn a new camera.
And in case you get a defective unit, you'll need time to get a replacement.
(Same goes for chargers, memory cards, cases, etc).

Hope this helps!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads