X100s AF accuracy vs x100/x-pro1/xe1

Started Mar 16, 2013 | Discussions
felixjlai
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
X100s AF accuracy vs x100/x-pro1/xe1
Mar 16, 2013

Hi

I have the X-Pro 1 and coming from a Canon SLR background, the AF is ridiculously accurate when shooting wide open compared to a canon (if you can lock focus in the first place).

I am wondering for those who now own X100s, is the AF on the new model just as accurate compared to the older fuji X cameras given it now utilises phase detect with contrast detect? I understand accuracy of the old model was because of the contrast detect AF.

Felix

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ealvarez
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?
Re: X100s AF accuracy vs x100/x-pro1/xe1
In reply to felixjlai, Mar 16, 2013

felixjlai wrote:

Hi

I have the X-Pro 1 and coming from a Canon SLR background, the AF is ridiculously accurate when shooting wide open compared to a canon (if you can lock focus in the first place).

I am wondering for those who now own X100s, is the AF on the new model just as accurate compared to the older fuji X cameras given it now utilises phase detect with contrast detect? I understand accuracy of the old model was because of the contrast detect AF.

Felix

Very accurate and fast. You might want to check out the comparison to RX1 here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bkSxex2D43o

The video is not mine, but it is made by one of this board members.

Cheers

val

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
In reply to felixjlai, Mar 16, 2013

felixjlai wrote:

Hi

Felix

PDAF has more to do with AF speed, not so much with AF accuracy. PDAF is generally less accurate than CDAF, but PDAF helps to get things roughly into focus in the first place. As far as I know, most cameras that have both PDAF and CDAF will focus using PDAF first if they need to and can (for speed reasons), then switch to CDAF to get the most accurate focus, if higher accuracy is indeed needed.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
felixjlai
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
In reply to nixda, Mar 16, 2013

Great. Thanks everyone.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads