Is Waterproof Dustproof too?

Started Mar 16, 2013 | Questions
MickeyWickey
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
Is Waterproof Dustproof too?
Mar 16, 2013

I am not a professional photographer. I work in a dusty environment. We need to take lots of pictures every day with several different cameras. Most of the waterproof point and shoots look like they have dinky little lenses. A year or so ago I remember seeing a Canon camera at a club store that had "dustproof" as a feature but I'm having little luck finding it again.

Are the waterproof cameras generally considered to be dustproof as well? Are there any "prosumer" level cameras with the dustproof feature that you know of?

Thanks for any assistance.

-Mickey

MickeyWickey's gear list:MickeyWickey's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717
ANSWER:
Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?
Re: Is Waterproof Dustproof too?
In reply to MickeyWickey, Mar 16, 2013

The waterproof P&S models are also considered dust proof. None of them have very good image quality compared to prosumer models. All have small sensors and folded optical systems. Most have over aggressive noise reduction. A prosumer model in an underwater housing would do a better job.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MickeyWickey
Like?
In reply to Robert Anderson, Mar 16, 2013

Thank you. That's actually a good idea, and I can test it right away with my Canon G9 and the underwater housing that I really never used.

I also saw this one in doing more searching around:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/08/Olympus_OM-D_E-M5_announced

which touts weather sealing. Wonder if it's enough for the fine dust I'm trying to avoid. I don't expect we'll be changing lenses often, and if we do, it would be in the showroom area, not in the dusty production area.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717
glasswave
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,614
Like?
Re:Waterproof vs. water resistant vs dustproof...

MickeyWickey wrote:

I am not a professional photographer. I work in a dusty environment. We need to take lots of pictures every day with several different cameras. Most of the waterproof point and shoots look like they have dinky little lenses. A year or so ago I remember seeing a Canon camera at a club store that had "dustproof" as a feature but I'm having little luck finding it again.

Are the waterproof cameras generally considered to be dustproof as well? Are there any "prosumer" level cameras with the dustproof feature that you know of?

Don't forget splash proof or weather sealed.

These marketing claims are not regulated by standards. What one company markets as water proof may only qualify as water resistant by another.

As far as industry marketing goes it would basically go:

1. Waterproof

2. Water Resistant/ weather sealed

3. Splash proof

4. Dust proof

Waterproof is only a fuction of pressure. Water can cut through 1" plate steel given adequate pressure. Most quality "waterproof" will be advertised to a certain depth, indicating how much pressure they can take.

Water resistant should mean that the product could be briefly submerged. It should have rubber seals on most buttons and doors.

Splash Proof should mean that the product could be handled and used in rainy weather for an extended period.

Most manufacturers don't allow warranty claim for water damage unless the product is marketed as water proof.

Dust is different than water in that it is abrasive. This is a whole nother ball of wax. Waterproof/waether sealed cameras will be must more dust resistant than their non sealed counter parts.

For a camera that is always in a dusty enviroment, I would recommend to keep up on your maintenance. Blow it off with air after each use. Use cleaning brushes often and use camera detailing methods frequently.

Use lens air/cloths/paper/solutions to clean your glass clean. The Canon 60d & 7d are SLR's in the prosumer range w/weather proofing as are most others to some degree.

-- hide signature --

There is simply too much beauty in the world to photograph it all, but I'm trying.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Fave Photog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241
Like?

MickeyWickey wrote:

Thank you. That's actually a good idea, and I can test it right away with my Canon G9 and the underwater housing that I really never used.

which touts weather sealing. Wonder if it's enough for the fine dust I'm trying to avoid. I don't expect we'll be changing lenses often, and if we do, it would be in the showroom area, not in the dusty production area.

Reason on the matter for a moment:  Which is larger, a dust particle or a molecule of water?  Correct, so if a camera/lens can seal out water, then it has to be able to seal out larger dust particles.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

edu T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,091Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fave Photog, Mar 16, 2013

Fave Photog wrote:

MickeyWickey wrote:

Reason on the matter for a moment: Which is larger, a dust particle or a molecule of water? Correct, so if a camera/lens can seal out water, then it has to be able to seal out larger dust particles.

But think (or drink or bath in) water in the usual sense, not as vapor or air humidity: it doesn't come in loosely scattered individual molecules.

So reason on the matter just another moment: which is larger, a speck of dust or a water droplet?

Fave Photog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,241
Like?
In reply to edu T, Mar 16, 2013

edu T wrote:

Fave Photog wrote:

MickeyWickey wrote:

Reason on the matter for a moment: Which is larger, a dust particle or a molecule of water? Correct, so if a camera/lens can seal out water, then it has to be able to seal out larger dust particles.

But think (or drink or bath in) water in the usual sense, not as vapor or air humidity: it doesn't come in loosely scattered individual molecules.

The last time I checked, water exists in three forms:  Solid (ice); liquid; gas (vapor).

So reason on the matter just another moment: which is larger, a speck of dust or a water droplet?

Then you should have no worries about setting your unsealed camera and lens out on the back porch the next time it rains, since according to your 'reasoning' there is no way that an object the size of a raindrop could fit through any of the many miniscule cracks or openings in a camera/lens.

Taking your 'reasoning' one step further, a bucket of water is much larger in size than a mere drop of water.  And, since, according to you, a drop of water is too large to enter the tiny cracks and crevices of a camera or lens, then certainly there is ​no​ way that the even larger body of water found in the bucket could do so, you should happily and confidently drop your camera/lens into said bucket.

No?  Oh, OK.

-- hide signature --

The Five 'Ps' of Photography:
*Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance!*

happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,787Gear list
Like?

Yes ...waterproof is dustproof also ...just be careful opening a really dusty camera because everytime you do open the door dust gets in ...maybe just wash the camera off before opening up the door when really dusty.

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
MickeyWickey
Like?
Re:Waterproof vs. water resistant vs dustproof...
In reply to glasswave, Apr 10, 2013

Yeah, I hadn't thought about all the various water designations.

We are careful to only operate the camera where it's dusty and move out to the office and showroom areas where it's clean (even a different air system) to change SD cards, bateries, etc.

I tried my underwater housing with my G9, and found it was too awkward to operate. Two different people dropped it!

I'm currently going to try the Olympus Stylus TG-2. Though the optics aren't as nice, the lens is faster than any other rugged cameras I could find and they chat up the dustproofiness. I'll have a real good test of that attribute shortly!

Thanks for the insight, it's appreciated.

Mickey

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads