Northern Lights.

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions
dretket
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
Northern Lights.
Mar 15, 2013

I've been in Alaska on the North Slope for 2 months now.  I finally caught a glimpse of the northern lights and got a couple of photos.  Not the best, but something is better than nothing.

dretket's gear list:dretket's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +4 more
Slayerizer
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
D7100 ALERT!!
In reply to dretket, Mar 15, 2013

Non D7100 posts are prohibited until April 1st! !!Kidding!! Superb work! thank you for those magical shots.

-- hide signature --

Luc R.

Slayerizer's gear list:Slayerizer's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
I Beam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,026Gear list
Like?
Non D7100 ALERT!!
In reply to Slayerizer, Mar 16, 2013

Slayerizer wrote:

Non D7100 posts are prohibited until April 1st! !!Kidding!! Superb work! thank you for those magical shots.

-- hide signature --

Luc R.

Yes, it is great to see some photographs other than test shots on this forum and these are certainly better than nothing. I agree with Luc that these are excellent.

It makes me realise how much light pollution there is for most of us.

Regards

Paul

dretket
Like?
Re: Non D7100 ALERT!!
In reply to I Beam, Mar 16, 2013

Thanks guys, I was really excited to finally get an opportunity to see them.  Sadly it's still difficult to get away from the lights of the oil rigs.  Because there isn't any topography around to block the lights, the slope is surprisingly bright at night.

Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +4 more
apaflo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,854
Like?
Re: Northern Lights.
In reply to dretket, Mar 16, 2013

dretket wrote:

I've been in Alaska on the North Slope for 2 months now. I finally caught a glimpse of the northern lights and got a couple of photos. Not the best, but something is better than nothing.

I like the last two of them particularly.

It would have been nice if the Exif data were included though...  this is a techie forum!

Your chances for this year are just about gone, what with more hours of sunlight just about to make it impossible to see the aurora when it does exist.  And no doubt you've also become aware that cloud cover is the biggest impediment to seeing aurora on the North Slope!  There is a band of auroral activity, and we are sitting just north of it while Fairbanks is just south.  But Fairbanks is located between a couple of really high mountain ranges and as a result has many days without clouds.  That's a great place to photograph the aurora.

Hey, on your next trip off the Slope, take a one day break in Barrow and I'll buy you a coffee cup or two!  And you can try a little maktaq for lunch...

CGooden
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
In reply to dretket, Mar 17, 2013

Be aware there was a corona mass ejection  (CME) event on the sun and is heading to Earth.  The northern lights should be a lot more visible and brighter in a day or so.

the Mtn Man
Regular MemberPosts: 141
Like?
In reply to dretket, Mar 21, 2013

Those are remarkably good.  The Northern Lights are a fairly dim phenomenon and difficult to capture on camera.

Bill Randall
Forum ProPosts: 15,034Gear list
Like?
Re: Northern Lights - Please

Would you provide some of the settings and exposure times you used in these photos? The photos look fairly good considering you had those bright lights.

I am reading a book about photographing the lights since I am going to Iceland and Greenland in September.

Bill Randall's gear list:Bill Randall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S602 Zoom Nikon D200 Nikon D5200
fireplace33
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?

Great images!

By the way, I just finished reading a book called "North slope" from Michael parker about the oil drillers up in Alaska. Exciting story, cold and windy place!

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +10 more
dretket
Like?
Re: Northern Lights - Please
In reply to Bill Randall, Mar 21, 2013

Hey, sorry about the lack of exif data.  Because of the settings on my export preset, it strips all the exif from the photos.

These were all shot with my D5100.

#1- 15 sec at F/4.0, ISO 1600, Tokina 11-16mm @ 16mm.

#2- 15 sec @ F/4, ISO 800, 16mm

#3- 15 sec @ F/2.8, ISO 800, 16mm

#4- 8 sec@ F/2.8, ISO 800, 16mm

Hope this helps, and thanks for all the kind comment.  I was pretty excited to get a chance to see them.  About a 4 or 5 days later, the lights were extremely active and some of the brightest people had seen in the past couple years.  I was fast asleep in my bunk and completely missed it.  Talk about bummed!

Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,408Gear list
Like?

Nice!!

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

poidog73
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Mar 21, 2013

Thanks for the share. haha- It's still on my bucket list.

starman1969
Senior MemberPosts: 2,322Gear list
Like?
In reply to poidog73, Mar 21, 2013

Cracking aurora pics. It's one thing to witness them, quite another to capture the displays as good as you have here.

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads