Sony Mavica FD-81 review

Started Nov 19, 2001 | User reviews
Unknown user 69204
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Sony Mavica FD-81 review
Nov 19, 2001

I bought this camera for $800 USD in October/1998 and still use it today (November/2001). The stock battery is lightweight so I upgraded to the heavy-duty version soon after purchase. The picture quality is OK as long as the lighting is good and you take the time to allow the camera to focus. Even so, I've taken many a blurry picture for no apparent reason and frequently have resorted to manual ring to ensure focus. The zoom is wimpy, and the flash is useless unless you are within a few feet of the subject. In low-lighting levels you may as well leave the FD81 in the car - you are not going to get a good picture unless close-up. The floppy disc storage was great when memory was expensive, but now with memory costing less than water it just slows down the picture writes. The webpage organization of pictures is cute and useful only if you happen to be 13 years old and computer illiterate. The MPG movies are too short to be of much use: 15 seconds @ 320x240 and 60 seconds @ 160x120... just choose between too short or too blocky. Overall this was a good camera in 1998, but in 2001 its usefulness is limited (assuming you don't live under a rock).

Problems:

Low-light levels render camera essentially useless. Flash could't get arrested for flashing. Auto-focus sometimes actually focuses automatically.

Unknown user 69204's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads