D7100 HDR mode: Only 2 shots, not 3?

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions
nkistrup
Senior MemberPosts: 1,028Gear list
Like?
D7100 HDR mode: Only 2 shots, not 3?
Mar 15, 2013

Thanks to Slayerizer for posting a link to the user manual.  Canon's G12 has a scene mode called HDR, where everything is automatic: Click the shutter, camera takes 3 shots (normal, underexposed, & overexposed), and combines them.  Requirement is that camera MUST be on a tripod or locked down in some other way.

Only 2 photos?  How do the results compare to other cameras that take 2 shots?

Nikon didn't mention anything about a tripod, so does the HDR mode align the 2 photos?

Know that it's early, and someone buying this type of camera is more interested in the PASM modes, but I'm still curious.

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BlueBomberTurbo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 HDR mode: Only 2 shots, not 3?
In reply to nkistrup, Mar 15, 2013

I've read of people complaining about ghosting in HDR mode, so the camera most likely doesn't auto align the images.  Tripod is a must.

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nkistrup
Like?
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, Mar 16, 2013

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

I've read of people complaining about ghosting in HDR mode, so the camera most likely doesn't auto align the images. Tripod is a must.

Take it that you are not talking about ghosting from a gaggle of geese taking an stroll?

For such an expensive camera, seems like Nikon did a poor job on the HDR mode (on paper).  At least its AEB supports 5 brackets.

Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Snapshotx7
Forum MemberPosts: 99Gear list
Like?
In reply to nkistrup, Mar 16, 2013

nkistrup wrote:

Thanks to Slayerizer for posting a link to the user manual. Canon's G12 has a scene mode called HDR, where everything is automatic: Click the shutter, camera takes 3 shots (normal, underexposed, & overexposed), and combines them. Requirement is that camera MUST be on a tripod or locked down in some other way.

Only 2 photos? How do the results compare to other cameras that take 2 shots?

Nikon didn't mention anything about a tripod, so does the HDR mode align the 2 photos?

Know that it's early, and someone buying this type of camera is more interested in the PASM modes, but I'm still curious.

I tested this feature today.  It definitely doesn't auto align the pictures when it processes them.  You have to have a tripod or something stable to support the camera while it takes the shots or it will ghost.

Snapshotx7's gear list:Snapshotx7's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +2 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,953
Like?
not real

nkistrup wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

I've read of people complaining about ghosting in HDR mode, so the camera most likely doesn't auto align the images. Tripod is a must.

Take it that you are not talking about ghosting from a gaggle of geese taking an stroll?

For such an expensive camera, seems like Nikon did a poor job on the HDR mode (on paper). At least its AEB supports 5 brackets.

It's more a marketing gimmick like the B&W mode. You wouldn't actually use it for real HDR work. You have to add it though or certain folks would get really upset.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

nkistrup
Like?
In reply to Snapshotx7, Mar 16, 2013

Thanks Snapshotx7,

How did the images look, using only 2 shots?  Have you tried the AEB yet?

Take your time replying.  From what I read in the manual, there are plenty of things that you probably want to test out.  Enjoy your new toy! 

Snapshotx7
Forum MemberPosts: 99Gear list
Like?

nkistrup wrote:

Thanks Snapshotx7,

How did the images look, using only 2 shots? Have you tried the AEB yet?

Take your time replying. From what I read in the manual, there are plenty of things that you probably want to test out. Enjoy your new toy!

The images I took were terrible.  I didn't have a tripod and it was incredibly windy outside when I was testing it.  I spent all the money on the body and lenses so I don't have a real tripod setup to test it out any further.  I'm sure others will post their results.

Snapshotx7's gear list:Snapshotx7's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +2 more
WalkaboutSean
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?

Sony's HDR mode in the NEX series is pretty good. Takes & aligns 3 shots. It seem strange that Nikon would not implement this properly.

WalkaboutSean's gear list:WalkaboutSean's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N +11 more
Tbolt47
Senior MemberPosts: 1,396Gear list
Like?
Agree
In reply to Mako2011, Mar 16, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

nkistrup wrote:

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:

For such an expensive camera, seems like Nikon did a poor job on the HDR mode (on paper). At least its AEB supports 5 brackets.

It's more a marketing gimmick like the B&W mode. You wouldn't actually use it for real HDR work. You have to add it though or certain folks would get really upset.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

It's kind of the thing people use on their phone camera and anyone whose is carrying a tripod for there HDR work isn't going to be using this.

Tbolt47's gear list:Tbolt47's gear list
Olympus E-620 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +10 more
SpartanWarrior
Senior MemberPosts: 2,854Gear list
Like?
In reply to WalkaboutSean, Mar 16, 2013

WalkaboutSean wrote:

Sony's HDR mode in the NEX series is pretty good. Takes & aligns 3 shots. It seem strange that Nikon would not implement this properly.

Same with canon 3 shots and aligns it for you, also it keeps the 3 RAW files for you.

SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
eljormazd
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to Snapshotx7, Mar 16, 2013

In the UK and the Netherlands there´s this awesome thing called carboot markets/rommelmarkten... meaning a flea market where people sell their junk for nothing... I recently got myself a decent tripod for €5. Given that it´s not damaged (which you need to pay a little attention to) it´s a fab way to get what you need.

MoBaXoR
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?

I'm just a beginner but will try to help until someone else... My opinion, no you should not need a tripod for the built in HDR. Ya you do have to try to take little better shots and steady. I think HDR processing in any camera isn't true HDR. Why I almost think 2 shots with built in HDR is better than 3. Try changing the HDR settings in the camera like (Strength). The built in HDR is most effective when using Matrix Metering. Like someone else said the built in HDR processing is more of a gimik. The d7100 can take 5 AEB photos at once and if setup right, even more. I would try using bracketing for real HDR photos and take 3 or 5 shots at different exposures. You should find this in the user manual or download the D7100 Manual PDF. You wlil need a tripod for this. Then use PS or HDRi software like Photo-matrix to merge the files.  To say that Nikon did not implement this properly is little silly.

DEEWUN
Contributing MemberPosts: 500
Like?
In reply to eljormazd, Mar 16, 2013

We have a hospital auxiliary shop that sells items dropped off there. I picked up a very sturdy SLIK tripod without a head for 10.00 and then got a panoramic head from China for 30.00. Now I have a nice rig.It pays to shop around

nkistrup
Like?
In reply to MoBaXoR, Mar 16, 2013

MoBaXoR wrote:

I'm just a beginner but will try to help until someone else... My opinion, no you should not need a tripod for the built in HDR. Ya you do have to try to take little better shots and steady. I think HDR processing in any camera isn't true HDR. Why I almost think 2 shots with built in HDR is better than 3. Try changing the HDR settings in the camera like (Strength). The built in HDR is most effective when using Matrix Metering. Like someone else said the built in HDR processing is more of a gimik. The d7100 can take 5 AEB photos at once and if setup right, even more. I would try using bracketing for real HDR photos and take 3 or 5 shots at different exposures. You should find this in the user manual or download the D7100 Manual PDF. You wlil need a tripod for this. Then use PS or HDRi software like Photo-matrix to merge the files. To say that Nikon did not implement this properly is little silly.

1. Agreed that built-in HDR is a gimick, so other scene modes, but it was one that got me interested in AEB, in my P&S camera.
  2. Again agreed if you are serious about HDR, use the AEB which is above average in the D7100, and then use software to merge.  Know that a monopod is enough with my P&S, but a DSLR may need a tripod ... no worse than the camera's built-in HDR.
  3. Looked at the manual & it didn't say anything about a tripod being required for HDR; Canon's G12 manual did.

Conclusion: HDR mode bad, AEB good.

One unknown, based on what I understand about DSLRs: DSLRs have better DR than even the best P&S cameras, therefore I could find situations where AEB is not needed with a DSLR, but a P&S would need it.  True or False?

SpartanWarrior
Like?

nkistrup wrote:

MoBaXoR wrote:

I'm just a beginner but will try to help until someone else... My opinion, no you should not need a tripod for the built in HDR. Ya you do have to try to take little better shots and steady. I think HDR processing in any camera isn't true HDR. Why I almost think 2 shots with built in HDR is better than 3. Try changing the HDR settings in the camera like (Strength). The built in HDR is most effective when using Matrix Metering. Like someone else said the built in HDR processing is more of a gimik. The d7100 can take 5 AEB photos at once and if setup right, even more. I would try using bracketing for real HDR photos and take 3 or 5 shots at different exposures. You should find this in the user manual or download the D7100 Manual PDF. You wlil need a tripod for this. Then use PS or HDRi software like Photo-matrix to merge the files. To say that Nikon did not implement this properly is little silly.

1. Agreed that built-in HDR is a gimick, so other scene modes, but it was one that got me interested in AEB, in my P&S camera.
  2. Again agreed if you are serious about HDR, use the AEB which is above average in the D7100, and then use software to merge. Know that a monopod is enough with my P&S, but a DSLR may need a tripod ... no worse than the camera's built-in HDR.
  3. Looked at the manual & it didn't say anything about a tripod being required for HDR; Canon's G12 manual did.

One unknown, based on what I understand about DSLRs: DSLRs have better DR than even the best P&S cameras, therefore I could find situations where AEB is not needed with a DSLR, but a P&S would need it. True or False?

That is false what you are saying, HDR in camera is very useful in some situations, here is one RAW file out of camera and one 3 shot in camera HDR -3 0 +3 mode used Vivid HDR,

1, RAW file

2,HDR in Camera

Nikon D800E Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
In reply to SpartanWarrior, Mar 16, 2013

SpartanWarrior wrote:

nkistrup wrote:

MoBaXoR wrote:

2. Again agreed if you are serious about HDR, use the AEB which is above average in the D7100, and then use software to merge. Know that a monopod is enough with my P&S, but a DSLR may need a tripod ... no worse than the camera's built-in HDR.

One unknown, based on what I understand about DSLRs: DSLRs have better DR than even the best P&S cameras, therefore I could find situations where AEB is not needed with a DSLR, but a P&S would need it. True or False?

That is false what you are saying, HDR in camera is very useful in some situations, here is one RAW file out of camera and one 3 shot in camera HDR -3 0 +3 mode used Vivid HDR,

1, RAW file

2,HDR in Camera

Holy god, that 2nd one is horrid!  But even the 1st one looks WAY over-processed/over-sharpened.

SpartanWarrior
Like?
In reply to nfpotter, Mar 16, 2013

nfpotter wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

nkistrup wrote:

MoBaXoR wrote:

1, RAW file

2,HDR in Camera

Holy god, that 2nd one is horrid! But even the 1st one looks WAY over-processed/over-sharpened.

Just was testing the HDR in Camera, and both out of camera so I don't know what your talking about "to sharpened lol"

nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
Good lord, people

Do your HDR properly, in post.  The results will be MUCH better.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,953
Like?
animation
In reply to nfpotter, Mar 16, 2013

nfpotter wrote:

SpartanWarrior wrote:

2,HDR in Camera

Have to agree with Potter man on this one. Very strange looking in camera result. Almost like taking a paint filter from Photoshop to it. Very animation like. Interesting scene though and I appreciate you sharing it

-- hide signature --

RobCMad
Regular MemberPosts: 330Gear list
Like?
In reply to WalkaboutSean, Mar 16, 2013

WalkaboutSean wrote:

I seems strange that nikon would bother with this jpeg cr@p at all on a body like this.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads