Widest C Mount CCTV focal length with the least vignetting? 8mm, 12mm, 16mm, 25mm, 35mm

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Questions
fortworth
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Widest C Mount CCTV focal length with the least vignetting? 8mm, 12mm, 16mm, 25mm, 35mm
Mar 15, 2013

I'm interested in getting a C Mount lens and found a lot of articles for the "Fujian CCTV 1.7/35".
The Fujian seems to work well, but I also found 25mm and 16mm lenses with aperture as high as F/1.2 or F/1.4
I have a 50mm Canon FD lens and its way too wide for anything but portraits.

Will a 16mm C Mount CCTV lens work without significant distortion requiring cropping ?

I found a 8mm samples with a lot of vignetting.

thanks.

ANSWER:
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,489Gear list
Like?
Re: Widest C Mount CCTV focal length with the least vignetting? 8mm, 12mm, 16mm, 25mm, 35mm
In reply to fortworth, Mar 15, 2013

fortworth wrote:

I'm interested in getting a C Mount lens and found a lot of articles for the "Fujian CCTV 1.7/35".
The Fujian seems to work well, but I also found 25mm and 16mm lenses with aperture as high as F/1.2 or F/1.4

Will a 16mm C Mount CCTV lens work without significant distortion requiring cropping ?

thanks.

Don't bother. Unless you like cropping.

CCTV lenses are made for a 1" sensor. At 35mm there is a hint of vignetting, which progressively gets worst at shorter FLs. Longer FL does not vignet.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cptrios
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347
Like?
Re: Widest C Mount CCTV focal length with the least vignetting? 8mm, 12mm, 16mm, 25mm, 35mm
In reply to blue_skies, Mar 16, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

fortworth wrote:

thanks.

Don't bother. Unless you like cropping.

CCTV lenses are made for a 1" sensor. At 35mm there is a hint of vignetting, which progressively gets worst at shorter FLs. Longer FL does not vignet.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

They're actually made for a bunch of different sensor sizes, the smallest of which (I think) is 1/4". Most of the ones repurposed/advertised for photography use are designed for 1" sensors, like blue_skies said, but if you venture into the wider CCTV world you'll have to identify their sensor size yourself.

The bottom line, though, is that the vast majority of them will cause a lot of vignetting, even on a m4/3 sensor. The only mirrorless camera that works with lots of them is the Pentax Q, and to a lesser extent the Nikon 1 series.

neonexxer
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
In reply to fortworth, Mar 16, 2013

When I first got my Nex, I too, explored the C-mount route in the hope of getting a cheap, wide and fast lens.  Their specs indeed are tempting (ie. 35/1.7, 50/1.4, 25/1.4...etc)

I now own the Fujian 35/1.7 myself, which vignettes just enough.  I've seen some pictures taken on the Nex with the 25/1.4, but they looked like peephole photos!  I didn't know there were 8/12/16mm offerings either though... maybe I should investigate too....

neonexxer's gear list:neonexxer's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A37 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
curiouscomputer
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to fortworth, Mar 16, 2013

May I ask your reason for wanting to get the C-Mount lens?

When I first got my nex 5N, I got a fujian 35mm 1.7 off ebay for $28.  It's fine, as a toy, for the effects, but I'm not happy with image quality.  It was also a good experience for me as a photo newbie.  Lesson learned, and I never use the thing anymore.

Shiroa
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
In reply to curiouscomputer, Mar 17, 2013

I personally likes how the Fujian 35mm produces image, yes it is not razor sharp and vignettes or flaring are sometimes unbearable, but hey thats whats fun about the lens. It sometimes are very boring to get just the same kind of image (sharp, contrasty bla bla) and one may need a CCTV lens for a change.

Here's some samples:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads