Fujifilm FinePix 40i review

Started Aug 22, 2002 | User reviews
Kai_Zen
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Fujifilm FinePix 40i review
Aug 22, 2002

Great idea, fair execution...FujiFilm certainly had the right idea with this camera; combine a handy, high-quality (4.2MP interpolated) camera with an MP3 player. Unfortunately, they didn't quite pull it off. While the camera takes passable photos, it suffers in low-light/indoor conditions. The tiny flash in no way compensates for average indoor conditions or low-light outdoor closeups and photos, even at the highest quality setting, end up looking grainy. The MP3 player is virtually impossible to operate. Even FujiFilm's tech support people couldn't get it to work on their test unit when I called them; so forget about that added value. The camera's construction is somewhat flimsy; the lens cover often freezes in the open position and it feels as if the slightest bump is going to send the camera into the shop.

On the bright side, the camera will fit in your pocket and you can easily shoot snapshot quality pics that you might not have gotten had you owned a bigger camera. The video feature is nice even though the quality of the videos is about equal to the old 8mm film. If you're even remotely considering shooting video, purchase a 128MB SmartMedia card.

Net, net: don't buy it for the MP3 player; don't expect high-quality photographs; and don't drop it - but if you want a nifty little photo/video grabber for family photos and you can buy it for about the same as a camera that doesn't have MP3 capabilities, the 40i is a handly little unit.

Problems:

MP3 player will not work!
Lens cover fequently freezes in place, particularly with low batteries.

Kai_Zen's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads