Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30 review

Started Sep 13, 2002 | User reviews
Doug Price
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P30 review
Sep 13, 2002

I looked for a long time before I pulled the trigger on a digital camera, and "settled" on this one back in the spring. I got it for $179 at CompUSA. At that price, I figured I would turn it over to my son in a couple years, while learning the pitfalls in the process.

It takes great non-action pictures, and the optical zoom is very good. I took 180 pictures in a week this summer, and never changed the batteries. I even got some respectable shots of fireworks.

The complaints I have seen so far on this camera seem unfounded. Alkaline battery life on ALL digital cameras suck. Don't even bother with them, you may as well flush dollar bills down the toilet. Go out to Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, etc. and get a set of NiMH and a charger, and you'll make your money back in less than an hour. YOu can probably get them off eBay even cheaper.

The complaint about the sfotware to transfer pictures is absurd, you doon't need ANY software. The camera mounts as a harddrive, and you just drag and drop where you want them to go.

For under $200, you can't beat the P30, that is if you can still find one.

Problems:

The editing software isn't the best, but what do you want for free?

Like all non-professional digital cameras, there is the lag time between the click and the shot being taken. Action shots tend to smear when on Auto ISO.

Doug Price's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads