Olympus C-2 review

Started Oct 26, 2002 | User reviews
Bas Scheffers
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Olympus C-2 review
Oct 26, 2002

I bought this camera as a digital replacement for my Mju-2 35mm point and shoot to take with me when not carying a backpack full of SLR cameras and lenses and am very pleased. Image quality is great thanks to the fast f/2.8 lens.

Operation is simple but the first things you need to do is turn off the friggin' bleeps and set it to keep it's settings after a power cycle. Otherwise you will keep finding it in HQ mode instead of SHQ mode after you turn it on and off.

HQ and SHQ both give 1600x1200, but SHQ with less compression and gives a file size of 600-1200KB, depending on the contents of the image. This is perfect for some light editing and then resizing to something like 600x450 to put on a web page. The small filesize means you can get about 72 pictures on a 64Mb SmartMedia card, which is more than enough for most people. Please note that the camera comes with only a 16Mb card, though.

It is power hungry, so invest in 4 2000mA Ni-Mh rechargables to keep it happy. The C-2 takes 2 batteries at a time, so 4 will give you some spares that you should always have with you.

If you are looking for a great point and shoot to always have with you and don't want to spend too much, this is a great choice. More expensive ones with slow zoom lenses will often give lesser results and require you to use flash a lot more. The resolution is more than enough for putting the images on a website, or even to make some 7x5" size prints. A4 size (8x12) might be pushing it.

If this is you, you won't be dissapointed by this camera.

Bas Scheffers's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads