Sony Mavica FD-85 review

Started Nov 15, 2002 | User reviews
Geo Mc
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Sony Mavica FD-85 review
Nov 15, 2002

The perfect all-around camera for beginners and pros.

I've had my FD-85 almost 2 years now and use it mostly for eBay photos as well as all other general photography. After using my work pard's FD-73 to shoot a wedding, I knew I wanted a Mavica. It's just about perfect. It replaced a Kodak DC-20 which was a total POS.

Using the 3.5 floppies saves a lot of money over the expensive memory sticks. There's no conversion routine - the pics are saved as .jpgs on a floppy. I pull them into Paint Shop Pro and do what I want with them. Couldn't be simpler.

It has performed flawlessly, no problems, for almost 2 years. I've had some photography training and some classes and used to do a little avocational photography work for profit. I owned a complete Canon AE-1 SLR system with all the accessories. I find that I'm able to do anything with this camera that I could do in 35mm. And NO darkroom work or waiting for the pics to come back from the processor. You can set any and all parameters simply with a few pushes of the buttons and tailor your exposures to suit any lighting situation.

Love the macro focus. You can get as close as you want to an object. Great for showing detail in auction photos.

Just can't say enough - BUY ONE!

Problems:

No problems, but technology has now passed this camera by. With "only" 1.3 megapixels resolution, there are many cameras that produce sharper pictures now and they're cheaper. Still, if you can find one of these, I recommend it unreservedly.

Geo Mc's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads