Olympus D-510 Zoom (C-200 Zoom) review

Started Dec 5, 2002 | User reviews
Smasher
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Olympus D-510 Zoom (C-200 Zoom) review
Dec 5, 2002

Very rugged little camera, great intro to digital photography, great in low light compared to film cameras. I've taken over 10,000 shots with this thing in the past nine months, and it's held up well. Still experimenting with the settings; I'm doing more manual overrides than I used to, and am playing with resolution and image quality settings, too. This thing gives you a lot of growing room if you're new to digicams. I carry it around with me pretty much wherever I go at this point.

Lens is good, with good image accuracy. Color could be a little more accurate, but I'm working on honing the settings more effectively. I'd like more shutter/aperture control; maybe in my next digicam.

Some of the shots I've taken are at http://beauty.nagog.smasher.net:81/gallery/.

Problems:

The clamshell lens cover/power switch beginning to wear out; powers off too easily. Focusing in low light is sometimes a problem; a focus lamp (like those on the Canon Elphs) would help. I like the clambshell lens design, but it makes power-up to first shot a little long. Button labels on the back panel are starting to wear off, but I know what they do by now. Some of the more useful settings (like metering, white balance and exposure compensation) are buried in the menus.

Camedia software is only average, and I only use it to stitch panoramas together. All other processing is done in Photoshop and Irfanview.

Smasher's gear list:Smasher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR
Smasher's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads