Sony Mavica FD-87 review

Started Dec 30, 2002 | User reviews
Gary Schafer
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Sony Mavica FD-87 review
Dec 30, 2002

My first digital camera was actually a Sony MVC-FD83, which is almost identical to the -87. Bought it in 1999. Just recently gave it to my older sister. And I miss that camera!
Say what you will about the fact that it stores images on floppy disks, I never had a problem finding "film". Plus, here's something many people probably don't think of: It's a great friend-maker. When my wife and I would go on vacation, we came across many people at some great picture-taking locations. They didn't have cameras, so I took their picture, popped out the floppy, and gave it to them. I got one great picture of a couple sitting on the edge of the water near the Jefferson Memorial in Wash DC. It was near sunset and the couple was silhouetted perfectly. I took their picture without their knowing it, handed them the disk, and told them they would really like the pictures on it when they got home.
Further, since the pictures were JPEG, no problem with proprietary software and it only works on one computer. I could take a picture anywhere, pop the disk into a computer (PC or Mac), and look at the results. Plus, the cord for viewing on a TV monitor was a HUGE bonus!
The camera took great macro shots, some of the best I've ever seen.

Problems:

* If you take lots of pictures, plan on a download to your computer of 2 minutes per disk.
* Really hard to get a good action shot. Real slow "push-to-picture" sequence.

Gary Schafer's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads