Pentax Optio 330GS review

Started Feb 14, 2003 | User reviews
Tommy Hemmert Jørgensen
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Pentax Optio 330GS review
Feb 14, 2003

This is a fantastic cam!!! I've been shopping around for months now, and I've read more reviews than I can count. Choice fell on this one - and DAMN it lives up to expectations! (I've taken 300 pics already)

Check out some sample images here: http://hemmert.homepage.dk (Read the note at the bottom of the page!!!)

It's the best cam in it's priceclass! And you get tons of features on top of that.

It's the smallest of all the 3 mp zoom-cam's in the priceclass, and it uses CF-cards and AA-battery.

The quality of the images are outstanding - and if they aren't you can alway change the settings manually to make any scene look great!! The only time you have to put anything through Photoshop is when you don't set up the cam wrong, but even then it responds extremely
well to manupulation.

The zoom and actual Image taking is quite fast, and not slugish at all. it takes great makro-shots, and if you zoom in to open the aparture, there's great DOF too. it's also great in darkness, taking good shots at allmost pitch black (with a shutterspeed of 4 secs).

It's got MANUAL FOCUS!! Which is GREAT when the autofocus wont work in the dark, or in makro. It automatically shows a tighter area for you to fine-adjust the focus.

The 12x LCD zoom is REAL useful for checking blur or focus etc. The LCD even has a histogram built in, so you can check exposure that way too! AND you can flip it out to see around corners, and see yourself for self-portraits with friends!

There's manual settings for Focus, ISO, Whitebalance, Contrast, Saturation, Exposure, AutoFocus-area, Exposure metering area, and some extra.

The 3D-mode IS cool, no matter what people say! You can make it 'cross-eyes', so you can view the 3D-images on the screen without that wierd 3D-viewer plastic thing that's in the box.

Anyway - I can't but recommend this camera!

Problems:

none really... Only thing is the occasional noise in the pics, but that's normal for digi-cams. I've read though that it's a little more noisy with Pentax, but I can't confirm that.

I've noticed that in some pics, taken towards a very bright light-source, there can be some stripes on the pics (every other line of pixels horisontally is righter)... I've seen it twice in 400 pics, so it's not often and easily removed with a despeckle or de-interlace. With this
lighting the live LCD view also tends to become very tripod (a sunset will leave a long white line on the LCD. Doesn't affect the actual image taken though.

Flash tends to overexpose a bit, so always compensate when using flash (I never use flash though - fucks up lightning!)

You can't take makro-shots with the selftimer. The self-timer is on the same button as all the focus-settings, so its "self-timer -> makro -> landscape -> manual focus"... So you have to keep a steady hand on the tripod. The nightshot is separate though, cuz self-timer is needed
for those 4 seconds of exposure!

Autofocus beam doesn't always work... *click* switch to manual focus!

None of these problems are severe at all, and most of them are regular on digi-cams anyway... Please note that this is my first real digi-cam, so I might be a little biased in my judgement

Tommy Hemmert Jørgensen's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads