Sony Mavica FD-87 review

Started Feb 15, 2003 | User reviews
Ed Hanlon
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Sony Mavica FD-87 review
Feb 15, 2003

I bought this 12/24/01, and have taken some gorgeous pics with it. I used it to take shots of electronic equipment for my web site. Fairly easy to use, likes a lot of light. The disk feature is nice in that you can snap a pic of your buddy's kids playing ball and hand them the diskette - nice touch. However, there is a price to be paid in reliability for having the disk mechanism....

Problems:

This camera started giving me "format error" messages on perfectly fine disks after 7 months, which I was able to fix by cleaning the disk drive. When this camera was 13 months old, I got the error message again, only this time I couldn't fix it. I took it to a local shop, who couldn't fix it either and suggested I send it back to Sony. Sony wants $171.00 to repair this camera!!! Fuggetaboutit! *Now* I'm being told by those more experienced with cameras that the drive is a problem in these Mavicas. Great. My next camera will not have any type of mechanical drive in it, it will connect to my computer directly, which will give me more memory and reliability. If you own own of these types of cameras, it's a year old and it still works, you might consider selling it on ebay before it becomes worthless to you, as mine now is. I guess I'll just unload it on ebay as a parts-only unit.

Ed Hanlon's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads