Minolta DiMAGE X review

Started Apr 18, 2003 | User reviews
reallyripped
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Minolta DiMAGE X review
Apr 18, 2003

This camera is a total FARCE!!!!

What is the #1 reason people buy this camera? Its small size and ease of portability.

I thought it looked cool and supposedly took good little pictures, so I bought one... but I'm here to tell you this camera is way OVERPRICED and OVER-RATED.

Now DON'T LAUGH, I'm total serious... because you are not going to believe this!

About 3 months ago I was in a WalMart and they were deep discounting a small little digital camera called the AIPTEK MINI PENCAM 1.3 for $65.00. I bought it and the picture quality for outdoor pictures SHOCKED ME. For something like looked like it belonged in a 2-year olds playpen, the outdoor pics with a good sunny day overhead took some jaw-dropping eye-rubbing pictures.

The only downside of this PENCAM is no flash, so indoor pics are really tough to pull off without strong indoor lighting. It also has no zoom, just a fixed lense.

So why am I going on and on about the AIPTEK PENCAM?

Because I have owned the PenCam for 3 months and the DiMage X for about 1 month.

And guess what? The PenCam actually takes AS GOOD OR BETTER outdoor pictures than does the DiMage X.

You say, "No way... I can't believe a $70 camera can compete with a $250 camera"

But I swear it does. This is no joke. Yes, I couldn't believe myself the first time around... so I ran out and took a ton of outdoor test shots with all different kinds of colors. And the test shots loaded into my ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS V2 kept coming up with the PenCam as good or better than the DiMage X. I total head-scratcher, I know... I had to keep going back and view my test shots for 2 days to convice myself. But its all true...

After doing some Specs research I come to find out that the PenCam uses a CMOS sensor and the DiMage a CCD. I don't know what it is about the CMOS sensor but it has more detail, its sharper, more color-depth, and more true-to-life pics.

So I gues what I'm saying is if you are considering the DiMage X as a small shirt-pocket camera and are planning to spend around $250, you are wasting your money because the quality of the pcitures are not as good nor even better as a $65 CMOS camera.

If I were you I'd do more research and find a small camera that produces better pictures.

As far as for me....I'm selling the DiMage X camera. Its a total waste of $250.

Problems:

The DiMage X is the 'FIAT' of the dig camera market. (FIAT are cars that look like Porsches but drives like a beat-up VW Bug).

Same thing with this camera... it looks great, built sturdy with an aluminum-alloy case, but looks are very deceiving... it performs very badly.

If you are considering buying one, I'd pass and look for a better camera to invest into.

reallyripped's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads