Kyocera Finecam S3L review

Started Apr 22, 2003 | User reviews
Andrew Higgins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,068Gear list
Like?
Kyocera Finecam S3L review
Apr 22, 2003

I bought the S3L mainly because it was cheap (£250UKP) for a small, 3 megapixel digicam, hoping for decent quality as a 'carry everywhere', pocket camera.
I very soon found the Finecam to be quite excellent, capable of very good images thanks to a fine lens, and a good feature set, similar to my D1h work camera, such as settings for colour, sharpness, and contrast. Images straight from the camera look a touch unsharp, but this leaves scope for sharpening to be controlled in Photoshop, as can colour saturation - I like this. The S3L also does video clips with sound, handy for parties!
Quite why this digicam is a bit 'unknown' is a mystery to me, as it's really a Contax in different clothes!

Problems:

The pop-up flash is a bit annoying(but it can be turned off by default through the setup menu), and the flash exposure is quite poor due to over-exposure - you need to dial in some underexposure to correct this.
The turn on time, and shutter response are not the fastest, but quite adequate. The optical viewfinder is too small to be practically useful, but the lcd screen is very bright and sharp, so like most digicams, the screen makes the best 'viewfinder'.

Andrew Higgins's gear list:Andrew Higgins's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Ricoh Caplio R8 Ricoh GR Digital Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR +10 more
Andrew Higgins's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads