Pentax Optio S review

Started Dec 31, 2003 | User reviews
Steve99
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Pentax Optio S review
Dec 31, 2003

I emerged onto the digital scene with this camera. I've been looking at going digital for some time; every backpacking trip with my SLR enhanced that resolve. I have finally a great quality camera that goes everywhere = I take more pictures.

I bought mine at costco, they threw in a leather pentax case made precisely for this camera as well as a 128mb sd for the same price as the competition. For a crashproof/waterproof case get the Pelican #1010 for $12 and never worry again.

For spare batteries, I found the NP-40 for the fuji are the same as the Pentax D-L18 and bought some on ebay for $12 each. I carry 2 spares which fit nicely in the leather case.

Overall it is great, takes incredible macro's, does super outdoors, the full review on this site is accurate so I won't elaborate.

A few minor issues:
1. It would be very nice to have better light sensitivity (they have 400 in the S4 now) It takes good nightshots if you have stabilization.

2. The flash isn't very powerful (to be expected) but great for snapshots.

3. Can't manually select shutter speed.

4. bottom battery/sd door has questionable hinge. Probably easily damaged.

The main thing is that with a camera this small, you will take loads more pictures than with a camera that doesn't fit in your pocket. Doubles as a voice recorder too.
Nice Wow factor on it's size!

Problems:

No issues yet.

Steve99's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads