Fujifilm FinePix S602Z Pro review

Started Jan 12, 2004 | User reviews
David Manners ARPS
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Fujifilm FinePix S602Z Pro review
Jan 12, 2004

This is my second digital camera (my first was a Leica Digilux 1 which still produces excellent results - see my review for this sadly discontinued model) and marks my move to a totally digital photographic user. The choice was based on much research to find a camera which would satisfy my needs as a natural history photographer especially in a close-up field. I have not been disappointed!

The results are stunningly sharp and the colour rendition excellent. The two stage macro mode works well. The central image magnification feature is very helpful especially for fine focussing for which I use the manual focus mode a lot. After an initial problem with the delay caused by the autofocus/exposure setting itself coupled with the viewfinder lagging behind the real subject, I have found that the 'half-press and hold' technique before actually taking the shot gets round this effectively. If using a shutter/aperture priority mode of course, this problem is lessened and using manual focus too makes life much simpler!

I find I have not used the microdrive storage media - I haven't needed to as the results on Fine setting at 3M are more than adequate for even A4 prints with a suitable printer and careful handling. I do not use the video mode as I have a separate video camera - it just happens to be there! Maybe such facilities are a bit of a gimmick!

Problems:

As above - the delay and lag between what you see and what actually gets recorded if you don't think.

I have had two occasions when following the erasure of one or two individual frames, the camera shows a 'Card Error' warning and will not function. Re-formatting seems to clear the problem but you have to use another card to continue photgraphy unless you can download via a card reader to the PC at once. Not helpful if out in a remote place! Maybe this is a card error and not the camera?

David Manners ARPS's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads