Pentax Optio 33WR review

Started Jan 17, 2004 | User reviews
wlachan
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,759
Like?
Pentax Optio 33WR review
Jan 17, 2004

I bought this camera when it first came out. It is a little solid camera with water resistance capability. It is relatively easy to use with reasonably good results. Indoor flash shots with tungsten light produces better colour balance than the more expensive Canon A80. Macro capabililty is excellent with very good image quality. The overall image quality is not bad (but not excellent either) in most cases, but AF suffers when the environment is relatively dim, say indoor with tungsten light only. And this results in quite a number of blurred shots. Minor flare could be a problem outdoor due to the (mono-coated?) "bare" glass which is not shielded by anything. The rubber corners are nice touch and could be useful when you need to put it on any rough solid surfaces. The 1.6" LCD is sharp and clear, but the plastic protector is raised so it could be scratched in no time. This camera is not particular efficent on power consumption so make sure you have spare batteries. 2100 or 2300NiMH rechargables are certainly recommended.

Full size samples could be viewed here. They are all originals without modifications.
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan/pentax_33wr_samples

Problems:

The camera I had had AF problem. Except for macro mode, the actual focus was in front of the confirmed focus by the AF. This result in many blurred and unless results, particular worse for any distant shots like scenery. I returned the camera and did not try another one so I do not know if it was considered "normal" for this model.

wlachan's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads