Kodak DX4530 review

Started Mar 27, 2004 | User reviews
Dr CyberEvil
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Kodak DX4530 review
Mar 27, 2004

<font color=red><b>Now cheaper with extra mem and dock</b></font>

- Especially happy with the ease of use and value for money. Dealers are now bundling this camera with a 128Mbyte SD/MMC memory card and the kodak EasyShare camera dock II for the same price as the camera cost in March 2004. That is, the ram and dock (which is about 50% the price of this camera) now come bundled for free with the camera purchase (See www.officeworks.com.au for this bundled deal).

- The dock II is great for recharging the supplied Ni-MH battery that comes supplied with the docking station. I get over 4 hours of intermittant use from the Ni-MH battery.

Problems:

- The Kodak share button is a bit of a waste of time. It allows you to tag certain photos as "favourites" or "to be emailed", so that the easyshare software can categorise them, and email them or copy them to a favorites folder etc. I would have preferred a 10sec timer button instead.

-The plastic lens cap is a big minus, but I will probably disgard the cap when I buy a soft leather case for the camera, (and the new-car syndrome wears off).

- Photos printed out at kodak in 4x6 inch size don't seem quite as crisp as I expected them to be from a 5 Mega pixel camera. This appears to be due to the fact they are JPEG compressed (which all digital cameras are - except for expensive cameras, which use a raw data format taking in excess of 10Mbytes per picture) and are actually half the size of pictures stored on other common 5Mpixel cameras. You therefore have photo's at about the same quality a 3Mpixel camera takes.

- Some of my photos suffer from a quite apparent chromatic aberration (purple fringe), especially noticable in photos with background sky, and some object like a tree or pole in this background. You see a purple fringe along the edge of the tree branches or pole, in the example above.

- This could be why Kodak are selling the camera cheap, as chromatic aberration is a lens / photosensor quality problem, virtually impossible to compensate for later in software (like photoshop etc). It is however common to see this problem in cameras around this price range or lower.

SO, WHO SHOULD BUY THIS CAMERA?

This camera is great for the mum's and dad's out there who want an easy to use point-and-click camera. The picture resolution (5Mpixel) will sound impressive to your friends, but because the pictures are compressed twice as much as you expect from a 5Mpixel camera, the pictures are really only as sharp as a 3Mpixel camera. On the other hand this extent of JPEG compression has the effect of further saturating a photo, thereby giving you the impression you have taken a really spectacular and colourful photo. This is fine if you are not looking for true reproduction of the subject you photographed. In addition, the tiny 1 to 1.5 Mbyte photos mean you can store twice as many pictures on your 32Mb internal memory, as someone with a more expensive camera who also has a 32Mb internal memory.

Dr CyberEvil's score
Average community score
katysewell12
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Kodak DX4530 review
In reply to Dr CyberEvil, 10 months ago

I bought my digital camera a few years ago from a local office supply store. They had such a huge variety and I couldn't seem to choose which model I wanted! After I finally made a decision, I got the camera and have been hooked on taking pictures ever since. http://www.officenational.com.au/shop/en/chrishumphrey/home

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sir Corey of Deane
Contributing MemberPosts: 769Gear list
Like?
In reply to katysewell12, 10 months ago

I think a review where the writer can't distinguish between a plural noun and a possessive pronoun not to mention associating chromatic aberration with the sensor where it is a lens-only phenomenon can be safely ignored.

Sir Corey of Deane's gear list:Sir Corey of Deane's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Fujifilm FinePix F300EXR Kodak EasyShare CX7300 Kodak EasyShare CX7430 +9 more
Blackbear
Contributing MemberPosts: 888Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sir Corey of Deane, 10 months ago

Sir Corey of Deane wrote:

I think a review where the writer can't distinguish between a plural noun and a possessive pronoun not to mention associating chromatic aberration with the sensor where it is a lens-only phenomenon can be safely ignored.

Agree Robert, especially when it's 10 years old.....

-- hide signature --

Mart
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, does not go away.
Kodak DX7590, Z980, P880, C875, P850, M583, P712, V570, DC3400, DC290, DC4800, Z990 MAX.
( Lumix TZ40, my wife)

Blackbear's gear list:Blackbear's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Kodak EasyShare Z990 Kodak DC290 Kodak DC3400 Kodak DC4800 +8 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Blackbear, 10 months ago

There's something very odd about this thread. A ten year old review suddenly reworked? Very odd indeed.

-- hide signature --

JamesD
Happy Snappin'

JamesD2's gear list:JamesD2's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C663 Kodak DX7590 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon D90 +2 more
chiue
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,332Gear list
Like?
LOL....indeed.......nt
In reply to JamesD2, 10 months ago
-- hide signature --

chiue -
Nikon D5000 / Kodak Z990 P880 DX7590 Z915 DX6440 V803 M420 C190 C875 Zx3
Kodak Digital Cameras Galleries
http://www.wix.com/chiuestar/Kodak-DC
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/chiue/camera/cameras-a2.jpg

chiue's gear list:chiue's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C875 Kodak DX6440 Kodak DX7590 Kodak EasyShare P880 Kodak EasyShare V803 +4 more
Sir Corey of Deane
Like?
Re: LOL....indeed.......nt
In reply to chiue, 10 months ago

Must have been quite a popular camera - there's a wad of 'em on U.S.A. eBay and some are not exactly given away either.....

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Fujifilm FinePix F300EXR Kodak EasyShare CX7300 Kodak EasyShare CX7430 +9 more
Blackbear
Like?
Re: LOL....indeed.......nt
In reply to Sir Corey of Deane, 10 months ago

In general the DX-series was popular, and not without reaso, Robert. They were fairly good camera's with a good pricetag aswel. AND they had Kodak Color Science inside

Even got 4 **** at DPR and Amazon

http://www.dpreview.com/products/kodak/compacts/kodak_dx4530

If you click on View review in forumsyou get to this thread

-- hide signature --

Mart
Kodak DX7590, Z980, P880, C875, P850, M583, P712, V570, DC3400, DC290, DC4800, Z990 MAX.
( Lumix TZ40, my wife)

Kodak EasyShare P880 Kodak EasyShare Z990 Kodak DC290 Kodak DC3400 Kodak DC4800 +8 more
Spiridakis Michael
Senior MemberPosts: 2,351
Like?
My original DX4330
In reply to Blackbear, 10 months ago

Yes... DX series... here is a picture of me almost ten years ago with my first Kodak DX 4330 a really dog camera... with colors that panasonic cant achieve even today with 4K video....LOL... well as you can see ten years ago I was almost a Kid... I had even black hear...LOL

-- hide signature --

www.spiridakis.gr

Sir Corey of Deane
Like?
Re: My original DX4330
In reply to Spiridakis Michael, 9 months ago

A 'dog camera', Michael? Please explain as I think that any of today's cameras would be hard put to better that photo especially its colour. (Ummm, haven't I said this sort of thing in the past?). I am, naturally, considering display at normal Web sizes. (And I'm sure I've said that before!) Perhaps you were put off by the rather long turn-on time which Dave Etchells at Imaging Resource measured at 5.62 seconds which was long even by the standards of its day. I see it as a case for putting the camera into its sleep mode if anticipating taking a pic.

Btw, my barber says that men with black hair normally end up going bald which means that sooner or later you'll end up looking like Telly Savalas! [Αριστοτέλης "Τέλλυ" Σαβάλας].

Regards to you and family,

Robert.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: My original DX4330
In reply to Sir Corey of Deane, 9 months ago

Dog camera maybe but look at those colors! They're Kodak and they're spectacular and that is why we ex-Kodakians (and some still current) LOVED (love) our Kodaks.

Robert, I don't much care for your barber's predictions but with my receding hairline I'm afraid he's on to something.

-- hide signature --

JamesD
Happy Snappin'

JamesD2's gear list:JamesD2's gear list
Kodak EasyShare C663 Kodak DX7590 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon D90 +2 more
Spiridakis Michael
Like?
Robert

A 'dog camera', Michael? Please explain as I think that any of today's cameras would be hard put to better that photo especially its colour. (Ummm, haven't I said this sort of thing in the past?). I am, naturally, considering display at normal Web sizes. (And I'm sure I've said that before!) Perhaps you were put off by the rather long turn-on time which Dave Etchells at Imaging Resource measured at 5.62 seconds which was long even by the standards of its day. I see it as a case for putting the camera into its sleep mode if anticipating taking a pic.

Btw, my barber says that men with black hair normally end up going bald which means that sooner or later you'll end up looking like Telly Savalas! [Αριστοτέλης "Τέλλυ" Σαβάλας].

Regards to you and family,

Robert.

DOG is a camera that 10+1 years later still continues to work fine in mother's in law hands and at its time was a king in colors department.... Although for me... this Kodak cameras with their user interface philosophy was the beginning of the fall... nobody was taking them in serious... you have see the rest of the thriller isn't it...??? but look at this picture... water/grass... everything just perfect... thanks God... there is still Olympus to serve us... with a new Dog camera... the EM5 that really someone can wash it under kitchen's faucet

Speaking for your Barber... tell him that he is a DOG... my hair are just turning to gray... they are ALL there... LOL

-- hide signature --

www.spiridakis.gr

Spiridakis Michael
Like?
James.
In reply to JamesD2, 9 months ago

JamesD2 wrote:

Dog camera maybe but look at those colors! They're Kodak and they're spectacular and that is why we ex-Kodakians (and some still current) LOVED (love) our Kodaks.

Robert, I don't much care for your barber's predictions but with my receding hairline I'm afraid he's on to something.

-- hide signature --

JamesD
Happy Snappin'

DO not believe urban legends.... BLACK hair means strong skin... Pls accept my best wishes for you James...

-- hide signature --

www.spiridakis.gr

Sir Corey of Deane
Like?
Re: Robert

Spiridakis Michael wrote:

A 'dog camera', Michael? Please explain as I think that any of today's cameras would be hard put to better that photo especially its colour.

DOG is a camera that 10+1 years later still continues to work fine in mother's in law hands and at its time was a king in colors department....

Something or someone described as 'a dog' means, to me, and the American slang dictionary, somewhat unattractive.

Classic example of the use of the word in relation to a girl is in the award-winning  film, 'Marty'.

Spiridakis Michael
Like?
Re: Robert

Spiridakis Michael wrote:

A 'dog camera', Michael? Please explain as I think that any of today's cameras would be hard put to better that photo especially its colour.

DOG is a camera that 10+1 years later still continues to work fine in mother's in law hands and at its time was a king in colors department....

Something or someone described as 'a dog' means, to me, and the American slang dictionary, somewhat unattractive.

Classic example of the use of the word in relation to a girl is in the award-winning film, 'Marty'.

Here in Greece among other bad things we also call dog something strong as a dog... for example an old car that refuse to die is a dog...

-- hide signature --

www.spiridakis.gr

Hear2see
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,183Gear list
Like?
This is a dog!

Classic example of the use of the word in relation to a girl is in the award-winning film, 'Marty'.

Here in Greece among other bad things we also call dog something strong as a dog... for example an old car that refuse to die is a dog...

-- hide signature --

www.spiridakis.gr

the dog is on the far right

Blackbear
Like?
Re: This is a dog!
In reply to Hear2see, 9 months ago

Hear2see wrote:

-- hide signature --

www.spiridakis.gr

the dog is on the far right

Well Charlie, this indeed is a very special dog, not only it's BIG, but it walks on two legs

-- hide signature --

Mart
( Lumix TZ40, my wife)

Hear2see
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,183Gear list
Like?
Re: This is a dog!
In reply to Blackbear, 9 months ago

Blackbear wrote:

Well Charlie, this indeed is a very special dog, not only it's BIG, but it walks on two legs

-- hide signature --

Mart
( Lumix TZ40, my wife)

but of course...and small dogs do too.:-D

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads