Nikon Coolpix SQ review

Started Apr 1, 2004 | User reviews
rainer viertlboeck
Senior MemberPosts: 1,649
Like?
Nikon Coolpix SQ review
Apr 1, 2004

well, at first i want to tell that i also own a kodak 14n and a fuji S2, aside my largeformat and panorama film cameras,- i can tell that i am not a newcomer in the aspect of image quality. i needed for some reportage work next weekend a little unvisible camera. finally the work didnot happen now aften buying the sq... therefore i wanted to bring back the cam today to my dealer, cause i bought it just for this job. and what happened? when i wanted to do it in its package it fall down on my floor, which is made from stones. app. 1.20mtr directly down. it has a dull now, but it works. i would not want to see my 14n or my fuji after such a fall...... enough said bout building quality or? i had to hold the camera now and i started to make some prints. picture quality is really not bad. very good colors if you increase a little bit the saturation. noise doesnt show up much in the prints. if the camera goes up to above iso 100 till 200 it becomes very visible on screen. noise removing in ps helps a lot, and as i said the prints are looking really nice. images are sharp. the camera overexposes slightly. quality becomes better, saturation also, with -0.3 or -0.7 compensation,- at least in the manual mode. great to shoot without that anyone realise it....
nice camera. i tried other 3- 5 megapixel cams also. couldnt see that they have been sooo much better. anyway i wasni fixed too much in the quality,- the swing lense made my decision.

Problems:

need postproduction to look really good. some denoising and sharpening and harder gradation in ps.

rainer viertlboeck's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads