Kodak DX4530 review

Started May 19, 2004 | User reviews
mpcc
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Kodak DX4530 review
May 19, 2004

Extremely easy to use but:

The kodak "5.0MP" 4530 does indeed have a true 5MP sensor, but it is actually only able to achieve a level of detail seen on a cheap 2-3MP camera. Why? you may ask.

With an expensive £500+ camera - it is usual practice to replace the tiny memory card with a large 256mb+ or micro drive soon after purchase.

In the lower price range the real challenge is to produce a camera that is "stand alone" i.e. it will take an acceptable number of photos, without having to buy an extra memory card. The 4530 has 32mb internal memory - which while useful as a backup, is far too small for a 5MP camera. Kodak have solved this problem by employing a very agressive jpeg system which produces relatively small files. Scaled on the to fit the pc screen they look great. When viewed at 1:1 you can see that the detail does not correspond to a 5MP camera, having severe artifacts. My 3MP nikon produces images with very few artifacts at the jpeg "fine" setting and the detail is higher than the 4530.

My advice: go to imaging-resource.com and compare the photos from a 3.2MP camera to the 5MP 4530. You can actually get a higher quality camera and save a third on the price!

One feature which is half good, is the composite out. If you can put up with the icons on the screen (as far as I can tell they cannot be switched off), then the cam can be combined with a VIVO video card - or PCTV card to record high quality video at half dvd resolution. Far better than a webcam.

The cam itself does record qucktime *.mov files with audio (at 15 fps). These can be converted to a format of your choice for pc editing using RADTools http://www.radgametools.com/

mpcc's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads