Minolta DiMAGE G400 review

Started Jun 17, 2004 | User reviews
westcat
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Minolta DiMAGE G400 review
Jun 17, 2004

Overall I think this camera takes really nice pictures, the color is excellent and the exposures accurate. The sharpness is very good for this size camera, expcept I noticed at f/2.8 it's a little softer than other apertures, once you zoom it a little or stop it down it sharpens up. It has fast startup and autofocus and has a lot of manual controls which really come in handy when you need them.
I generally use it in Program mode, which is the same as auto except you get the exposure info, at ISO 200 or 100 for general and flash shooting and the results are really good. In brighter light I use the scenery mode which drops the ISO down to 50 and tends to stop the lens down a little and gives very nice shots.

The size is great, really small to keep in your pocket. The lens goes to 34mm which I like, I would prefer 28mm, but 34 is better than most.

The only negatives for me are sometimes the auto focus is a little off in dimly lit rooms, but you can put it in snap mode or one of the other fixed focus modes if it's a problem. The menu system is a little unintuitive, it takes awhile to figure out all the different settings, once you figure them out it becomes pretty easy. Also the auto ISO is pretty worthless, it tends to keep it at 50 even in low light and the results can be blurry, I would set the ISO manually or use a scene mode which sets it automatically.

westcat's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads