Pentax Optio 555 review

Started Jun 26, 2004 | User reviews
photorookie
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Pentax Optio 555 review
Jun 26, 2004

Brought Pentax Optio 555 from Beach Camera (online). I compared with Canon S60, S500, Casio Exilim and Nikon Coolpix 5200, and spent almost 3 months searching for the right camera. I have a Canon elan IIe (film) camera for 5 years and am happy with it, but decided to go digital to cut cost (print only the pictures that comes out nice). Pentax was finalised due to the $50 rebate and the amazing specifications of the camera. The camera was as stated in the specification and met my expectations. Beach Camera sent it out the same day as I ordered and I received it on time.
However, the camera stopped focussing after two days. Checked with the Pentax authorised camera repair shop to make sure it is not a problem with the settings. They told me that the problem is not in the firmware or settings but the focussing mechanism is broken. In this forum several members have expressed concerns that the camera didnot behave properly after they made a trip (could it be that the xrays causing the camera to behave erratically ?!). I emailed Pentax customer service to see if they have anymore problems like this. They assured me they never had such problems. Returned it to Beach camera and they promptly refunded the money (minus shipping). I will buy again from Beach Camera, but I will not buy another Pentax.

Problems:

will not focus after two days of use. I never was able to see a picture from this camera but gave the rating of 3.0 since there is no option of (not applicable). I do not know why the camera stopped focussing, but I am going to blame it on bad construction.

photorookie's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads