Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX1 review

Started Jul 10, 2004 | User reviews
Gabi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,786Gear list
Like?
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX1 review
Jul 10, 2004

This is my 8th digicam, and I bought it because I wanted a camera sufficiently small and light to carry it along all the time. The image stabilizer is very important for me since I also want to take pictures in low light. I can easily go up to 1/8 sec shutter time without getting a blurred photograph. This is exactly what I wanted. The pics are sharp with very good colours, and metering doesn't appear to be a problem, unless I try to take a picture of two persons and focus between them. In this case, it might happen that the background is sharp and the people are not. This can, however, be easily avoided. In addition, a pre-focus mode helps a lot. The image stabilizer also helps for taking nice and smooth movies. The live histogram is working very well, and the camera also is able to display a 3x3 grid for better composing of the pictures - this comes in handy if you are at the ocean and want to have an accurate horizon displayed in the pics. All in all, I am very satisfied with the camera!

Problems:

I had to send back the first FX1 due to a problem with the LCD. The replacement works just fine. The door for the connection interface compartment is a little flimsy, however, I don't need it since I am using a card reader. It would be very nice if the camera would offer more options for manual settings or at least a manual focus.

Gabi's gear list:Gabi's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Gabi's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads