Pentax Optio 43WR review

Started Jul 30, 2004 | User reviews
Ian Brook
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
Pentax Optio 43WR review
Jul 30, 2004

This camera is great, despite what follows. I am generally very pleased with the quality of the images that it produces - sharp lens, good resolution and natural colour rendition. Some of my shots are at "www.isb.smugmug.com". I really miss shutter & aperture priority, but I knew that I would before I bought it. However, its compact size and water resistance make it ideal for my hobby of hiking in tropical rainforests, the reason that I bought it, together with sailing and beach use.

Problems:

Flower mode defaults to "soft" which I find irritating. The memory feature is useful but one cannot save settings for saturation, sharpening and contrast. Programme mode seems always to open up the lens as opposed to selecting a higher ISO, when light levels drop. I often find the camera tries to fire flash in Programme mode, which can be prevented, but I wish the camera had the intelligence to select, say, IS0 100-200 instead. The worst feature, IMHO, is the terrible LCD screen. Even on overcast days, I find it suffers from glare wipe out. As the optical viewfinder is inaccurate and obviously of no use for macros, this is irritating. The menu items can be hard to read outdoors. I keep getting debris and fingerprints on the lens as there is no lens cap. Battery life is poor, and CRV-3R's are recommended. Digital zoom produces shots that are quite noisy. Pentax should make a decent case for it. The neoprene skin, whilst preventing the ports from opening, accidentally, in the field, is an apology for a case, IMHO. Its plastic panel makes glare worse, so I've cut mine out.

Ian Brook's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads