Nikon Coolpix 4200 review

Started Oct 6, 2004 | User reviews
aleks2000
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Nikon Coolpix 4200 review
Oct 6, 2004

I own Nikon 5200 but it's not possible to add review for this camera so I will add it here.

It was the most expensive camera in PS category with extra money needed to buy SD card (hey, it's Nikon - right). I could buy much higher model for that money but I needed something small for travel with good pic quality (Nikon?).

Nice PS camera to take anywhere with useful features as BSS mode but terribly SOFT/FUZZY/NOISY pictures even in lowest ISO!!!

Compression is too strong (all files are well under 2 MB in size, should be 2-2.5 MB for 5 Megapixels camera).

The post processing is needed for every single picture to get something out of it (remove noise, sharpening, contrast...).

I did try and tweak all the settings in the camera to try and get better results - it doesn't work.

Make sure you compare pictures produced with this camera with other much cheaper models before you decide what to buy (there are plenty of reviews on the net with sample pictures).

There is no good review of this camera except on this site (not good if you read it carefully). Also, pictures are compared with Samsung Digimax V50 which is bad in my opinion (why not with Canon s500 for example???).
Even 2 mp camera can do better...

The FW upgrade is needed at least - but Nikon is too busy with upgrades for D70 and other higher end models.

The PictureProject software supplied with this camera is not worth mentioning.

My recommendation - stay away of Nikon!!!

Problems:

as already stated above:

Terribly SOFT/FUZZY/NOISY pictures even in lowest ISO!!!

Compression is too strong (all files are well under 2 MB in size, should be 2-2.5 MB for 5 mp camera in finest mode).

The post processing is needed for every single picture to get something out of it (remove noise, sharpening, contrast...).

The PictureProject software supplied with this camera is not worth mentioning.

aleks2000's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads