Nikon Coolpix 2100 review

Started Oct 6, 2004 | User reviews
D Stanford
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Nikon Coolpix 2100 review
Oct 6, 2004

I purchased this when it was first released. Since then I have taken over 8000 pictures. Each picture, after editing, takes between 900kb and 1.3mb depending upon coulour saturation. The results are superb. Like most digital cameras, it works extremely well in daylight, but you do take a chance indoors, or in poor light, but again, the results can be wonderful.
Would I recommend this, well, if you can still buy it, yes.
The big plus is the cameras ability to use only 2 AA bateries, I always have three sets on the go, and can, using the LED all the time, get between 50 and 60 shots from each set, in daylight, and around 30 to 40 using LED and flash at night or indoors.
I love taking pictures of aircraft, and find that with the Epson 830U printer, I can get superb 10x8, 7x5 and 6x4 borderless prints, with no dreaded pixelation.
The Nikon software that comes with it is superb, and has within it a super beginners editing facility - including a fabulous red eye removal feature (automatic).
The camera comes with a charger and 2 ni-hm batteries, I bought 4 more to get my set of three. I find the battery life good, but as one other reviewer has said, run them down and you will get more from them.
It is a great snapshot camera that has enough features to keep more advanced users happy as well. It is light, easy to carry and with a 128mb CF card, has the ability to store 200+ pictures. I keep a backup 32mb card available as well.
Superb scene and other options are available to help in all sorts of shooting scenarios, including a nufty 15 secinf video (no sound) feature that allows you to capture those moments that need just a little more time...!
Overall, a marvelous camera, great name, and awesome ability.

Problems:

There are some minor issues, more to be aware of than to prevent purchase.
1. Refresh time between shots is quite slow, and has caused me to miss shots.
2. Flash refresh, again slow.
3. Don't use the digital zoom, pointless, could be feature that is removed.
4. Viewfinder is poor, I use the LED all the time (quite good in strong light), but, as with most digital cameras, only shows some 80% of the actual picture.

D Stanford's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads