Minolta DiMAGE F200 review

Started Oct 17, 2004 | User reviews
afp_global
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Minolta DiMAGE F200 review
Oct 17, 2004

An incredible camera for its class / type, far exceeding my expectations and equaling or beating more expensive, larger cameras on picture quality, while very nicely slipping into the pocket with its tough metal body.

I managed to buy a pre-owned one from an internet auction site a few months ago and it included the spare batteries, charger and a 256mb SD card !

I spent the summer taking automatic and manual phtos in many light situations and locations, and was rarely dis-appointed. It simply excelled with some sunset shots that i took, all on auto-mode. One was on full-blown TIFF format and amazing, but the lower resolution ones were not lower quality and on a 17" monitor or printed out on A4 / letter paper you cannot see their pixel or compression
difference to TIFF.

Every camera has its limitations, and once you learn the limitations of what you can do on auto-setting then switching to manual on the occasional tough-shot is worth the results.

I was going to buy a digital SLR for 'serious photography' but to be honest, this little marvel when perched upon a tripod will take care of any wedding or other formal occasion shot...I only have to work out if I can somehow link an external power-flash for longer range flash shots that you obviously cannot accomplish with any flash in this size category of camera.

Problems:

Empties batteries even more than I empty wine and beer bottles ! As long as you carrry some spare 2000 mah AA batteries then no real problem.

nighttime flash beyond portrait range does need brightening by 1EV or 2.

afp_global's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads