Minolta DiMAGE G400 review

Started Oct 23, 2004 | User reviews
skshrews
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Minolta DiMAGE G400 review
Oct 23, 2004

I was looking for a compact camera I could carry anywhere. I consdiered the canon s400 series, olympus d series, casio e series. Price, speed, size, and MS/SD format convinced me to go with the g400.

I used this in Europe for 2 weks, without problems. I carried 1 extra battery that I used to take nearly 350 pictures under all conditions, including video.

The low light AF is an issue, but I think this is a problem for any compact camera. Light is light, and if there's not enough falling on the sensor, you are going to have a problem. You can take a picture without the AF focusing and the quality will be good. I just use faster shutter speed settings.

I have not had any mechanical issues. The door cover has never spontaneously opened, and the overall build quality is excellent.

Video quality is average for a compact camera, and is a nice feature. Sound quality while using video is good.

The most distinctive feature is the MS/SD compatability, a big plus in my opinion. I have devices that take one or the other and access to both is a major advantage.

The start-up speed and shutter-lag time is excellent. There is a 1 second write time to media in my experience after taking a photograph.

Problems:

Low light AF

skshrews's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads