Minolta DiMAGE F200 review

Started Jan 2, 2005 | User reviews
Eric Guicherit
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Minolta DiMAGE F200 review
Jan 2, 2005

I have been using the Dimage F200 already some years and the more I experiment with its features the more fun it gets. The picture quality is really impressive. In automatic mode you don't have to worry about camera settings. Good quality is practically guaranteed. For control freeks, the manual mode lets you take over completely, aperture and/or exposure settings, white balance for different light sources, ISO sensitivity, manual focus, etc. The macro mode is awsome. When in manual setting, focus can be set using the magnifyer feature. This is kind of a hidden feature of the camera. When at the same time using the digital zoom the macro image is boosted even more. Detail is always incredible.
I have compared performance with that of the Nikon Coolpix 4100 and Casio QV 51(!). The F200 outperforms both of them in image quality and features though not in speed of startup or battery life.
In short, this is a great camera that will be with me for quite some time.

Problems:

Ok, battery life is lousy. This camera eats energy. But I have 3 sets of 2100 MAh rechargebles that take me through the day. So that's solved.
The blocky form of this camera makes it not really suitable to carry it comfortably in your pocket. I use a belt pouch but for some people this may be a nuisance.
Startup is really slow. Newer cameras are much better in this respect.
Some features (e.g. white balance) are buried in the menu. Should have been made easier to access.
The camera is well build, solid, sturdy but the battery and memory card doors look flimsy.

Eric Guicherit's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads