Olympus Stylus Verve (mju mini Digital) review

Started Jan 3, 2005 | User reviews
BobDavid
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Olympus Stylus Verve (mju mini Digital) review
Jan 3, 2005

I bought a blue Verve for my wife. She is ecstatic over its compact size, stylish looks and unique industrial design. Its technical capabilities are impressive. In automatic point-and-shoot mode, the color and white balance are very good. Red eye is problematic, unless you set the flash to "red eye reduction" before using the flash. With the red eye reduction mode on, red eye completely disappears. Some reviewers have complained about grainy pictures. Grain and noise are present in photos taken under low light and flash sometimes. However, we use this camera for snapshots and rarely make prints larger than 4 X 6. The grain isn't such an issue at that size, especially since the color and white balance are so good. The prints look astonishingly bright and sharp when they are printed direct from the camera through an Epson PictureMate (4 X 6 printer) via PictBridge.

My wife is a novice, and I am a keen amateur. I have experimented with this camera and am very impressed with the manual feature set. Exposure, sharpness, ISO and scene modes are among the manual adjustments. If you take the time to learn the menus and options, you will find that the Verve is a flexible and sophisticated tool.

This is a perfect miniature camera -- kudos to Olympus.

Problems:

Flimsy door for the battery/XD card compartment.

BobDavid's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads