Minolta DiMAGE S414 review

Started Jan 27, 2005 | User reviews
noegd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233Gear list
Like?
Minolta DiMAGE S414 review
Jan 27, 2005

I bought this camera 18m ago to replace a Kodak point & shoot. I wanted more control and this camera offered a lot for not a lot of money. I also liked the CF cards, AA batteries, even it meant more bulk.

On the plus side, the lens is truly amazing: 4x zoom, sharp, very little distorsion, very little chromatic aberrations. When in focus, image quality is top class.

Another interesting thing is that the camera is very sensitive to IR. With an IR filter on it, it is pretty easy to take nice IR shots.

But the main problem of the camera is its AF. It is not particularly slower than most other cameras, but it is highly unreliable. I get a lot of shots that are badly OOF, even though the camera AF locked on something. Sometimes, the camera would also refuse focusing at all even though there seems to be enough light & contrast in the scene.

Overall, this camera is a pretty frustrating experience: great optics and image quality... when you get a sharp image

I will probably still keep it, if only for IR photography.

Problems:

Battery compartment door started to crack due to the stress applied when opening/closing it. I am a bit concerned as this door is required for the contact to be made with the batteries.

noegd's gear list:noegd's gear list
Leica X1 Leica V-Lux 30 Nikon D40 Nikon D2Hs Nikon D700 +23 more
noegd's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads