Nikon Coolpix 7600 review

Started Apr 7, 2005 | User reviews
Arxaggelos_GT
Regular MemberPosts: 229
Like?
Nikon Coolpix 7600 review
Apr 7, 2005

Initialy purchased the 5900 and exchanged the same day for another one because the picture noise was really unacceptable for a Nikon in this class.
I thought that was really something wrong with that camera but the second 5900 was same.
I returned the 5900 completely and avoided to go for the 7900 since I was afraid that the same "noise" thing might happen again even though the 7900 seems to produce less image noise.
I saw by luck the 1st 7600 on display in my area and I thought to give it a try since the AA batteries was a real advantage to me.

The 7600 is an amazing camera. The pictures are stunning! I think it matches in quality the IXUS 700 since I downloaded and compare pictures for noise. It lacks though some manual features like the 5900/7900 have.
You cannont adjust ISO sensitivity and actually there is no need for it, since the results are completely amazing.
I really don't miss the extra manual features of the 5900/7900. The camera does everything automaticaly with excellence.

To be honest, I really didn't expect this camera to produce such amazing results (compared to cameras of the same category of course).

Also the lens movement is much quiter in 7600. The camera powers up slighlty faster than the 5900 and saves 7.1 MP images also faster than both 5900s I tried.
The flash seems to be stronger than the 5900's and the camera also handles it perfectly in closeups. Construction is really solid and in my hands it has better grip, at least for me, than the 5900/7900.
The jog dial can be turned easily with the thumb while holding the camera.

After shooting 2-3 very short movies the electronic vibration reduction didn't seem so far to be so effective (but I didn't test the camera extensively shooting videos yet). The video quality is very good.

The 1.8 inch LCD is actually a plus for the following reasons:
1. It matches in proportion better with the total camera size.
2. The LCD glass is solid and doesn't have that soft touch like it does in the 5900.
3. It consumes less energy.
4. It doesn't give the feeling that it was planted from outside in the back of the camera like it does in the 5900.

Battery life so far looks great.

Overall, I found this camera to be great after my short dissapointment with the 5900 because of the extreme noise.
Though this is my personal judgment after having both cameras for a two day period.I hope it will help all those that are interesting in the Coolpix 7600.

Problems:

No problems encountered so far.

Arxaggelos_GT's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads