Sony Cyber-shot DSC-L1 review

Started Apr 21, 2005 | User reviews
Master Dave
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-L1 review
Apr 21, 2005

Excellent camera. Got the L1 for a quick point n' shoot to replace my tiny Sony U30. This camera is almost as small as the U30, but has a 4 mega pixel sensor, 3x OPTICAL zoom, excellent quality movie mode, larger LCD, plus some small but useful stuff like the AF luminator and some better menu controls.

This is the 3rd digital Sony camera I've owned over the past 4 years and I am not disappointed. It is excellent for what it was designed to be, a tiny quick-shooter with a relative multitude of options. Other reviewers compare this camera poorly against some dSLRs... no way! You mean to tell me that a dSLR takes higher quality pics than a camera 1/6 the size!?! Nice work Holmes. This camera isn't intended to replace your dSLR, it's meant to be tucked into your pocket or purse so that it's always with you. How many people do you know carry a bulky SLR camera everywhere they go? 1? 2? (...and these are typically semi-serious photographers) I can easily slip this camera into my Levi's pocket-watch pocket and away I go. After all, isn't actually having the camera with you 99% of the shot anyways?

This isn't to say that the L1 is lacking in picture quality--it's not. I've taken a couple hundred shots since I've had it over the past few weeks and 95% of them have come out great. Obviously dark environments are tough for a cam with such a small flash/lense, but if you're reasonable and use a little common sense, the camera pulls through just fine. The AF luminator is a great help as well and there are a few manual adjustments you can make (although not as many as a full-size camera, obviously).

I also purchased the underwater case for the L1, it looks like it will work out very nicely (I'm waiting for beach weather so I can test it in the field). Even with the case, the L1 is about the size of a typical digital camera and all the options/menus are accessible while the cam is in the case.

I paid $330 for the camera and the underwater case from Amazon.com, shipping included. I would definitely buy this camera again and am currently recommending it to friends who are in the market for a small, usefull, point n' shoot. If you're looking for Hubble quality shots, look elsewhere... this camera is not intended for serious photography, that's what the dSLR back on your dresser back home is for (too bad you can't put it in your shirt pocket like the L1).

Problems:

None so far, none expected.

Master Dave's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads