Olympus C-5500 Sport Zoom review

Started May 7, 2005 | User reviews
Christopher49
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Olympus C-5500 Sport Zoom review
May 7, 2005

The Good: This is my 9th digicam over the past 4+ years and to my mind it may be the "sleeper" of '05.
This camera has great image quality, fits the hand well, excellent control and flexibility and a 5X zoom ... all at a price around $300. It feels and acts like much more than a mere "point and shoot".
The menu system is excellent. There are 4 "My Camera" choices available to customize various settings to your liking for quick recall - so just about every setting you would want is available.
It uses 4 x AA batteries and the time from pushing the 'on' button to ready-to-go is virtually instaneous.
Indoor focus is very good too.
Very impressive build, overall and feel of quality.

Problems:

The less than good: The xD card. The camera isn't so small that it needs this little (really TOO little) and more expensive card.
The flash location is in the way of a natural grip. Not a biggie, but it does need a few shots to get used to.
Although this is a "compact" camera for me was too large and not pocketable. If Olympus could pack these features into a form factor 1/3 smaller...it would be the "perfect" camera for me.
I used this camera for about a week and most regrettably - because this really is a GREAT camera - I returned it for something smaller due to my photographic needs and wants ... something truly "pocketable".

Christopher49's score
Average community score
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads